“Great views, poor amenities”

BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Northeast Ohio
“Great views, poor amenities”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

Our family visited Myrtle Beach for a wedding. We got a two bedroom suite, which was plenty large enough for 4 of us. It had 2 beds, a Murphy bed, and a sofa bed.

The good?
~The views! We were right on the beach. There is nothing like opening your balcony door and listening to the waves.
~The price. For the space and location, we were quite impressed.

The bad? Everything else.
~The elevators were SOOOO slow. We were on the 8th floor and my 84 year old grandmother couldn't take the stairs. The wait was sometimes 5 minutes.
~The decor looks as though it hasn't been updated since 1978.
~The breakfast area seats about 10 people. It was very crowded.

If you are looking for a budget hotel, this is great!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank kimber926

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
north myrtle beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2011

Comfortable beds, friendly and helpful staff. The room I stayed in was spacious and came with a great view of the ocean. This time of year you'll meet lots of friendly snowbirds at the free breakfast.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Little River, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2011

Let me first say that I very rarely stay in a hotel/motel while in Myrtle since we own our own condo there. Since we are booked all winter and since I needed to get away this winter for at least a few days, I searched for a bargain hotel in the North Myrtle area. The Best Western wasn't the least expensive but close to it..... however, it was an amazing value given the features and amenities.
We rented an oceanfront king suite which had 2 rooms with a double bed in one and king in the other. Both rooms had televisions, the main room had a 32" LCD. There was a small kitchenette in between the rooms an a fold out couch in the main room as well as a table with chairs. The sliders opened directly to ocean front.
Beds were very comfortable, linens were exceptional...more than enough pillows too. The room was cleaned each morning and 'fluffed up' at least as much as I would have needed...definitely more than I would have expected.
Wireless internet access was provided as well. Service was great...no problems....great connection. Uploads and downloads were very satisfactory.
Full 'continental' breakfast was included as well. This was NOT my usual continental of pre-packaged donuts and danish! Muffins, breads, toasters, hot cereal, cold cereal, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, freshly made waffles!, coffes, teas, juices.....and the list goes on. It was, in a word, terrific. The folks managing the breakfast setting were always on hand to help, clean, say hello and just generally be very cordial.
Check-in (we checked in late on arrival date) was a breeze! On check-out date, we had a very late evening flight; we requested a late check out and were given a number of options to choose from and the hotel manager provided us with a more than satisfactory late check out at a very good rate.
All in all....I can't say enough good about this hotel. No...it's not a 5 start, brand new hotel, but at 40-something dollars a night!!.....an amazing value given that there were very few negatives I could come up with...and I had to search.
Come back in peak season and things may be different....this is January and although it was a holiday weekend (MLK weekend) and maybe a bit more busy than normal, I still probably would have expected better than usual service since there just weren't a lot of us. Nevertheless.....what we received far exceeded our expectations.
It'll likely be another year before I have the need to stay in a hotel in MB, chances are very good that this one will be the 1st on my list.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank gmonaco
New Bern
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2010

The lobby is the first thing you see and it was clean and nicely decorated. The woman working at the checkin was very friendly and accommodating, very willing to help us with anything we needed. We wanted to see other rooms for possible future extended and stays and she let us do so. They will definitely get our business again.

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Oak Grove, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2010

I wanted ocean front and after much research this hotel is what we decided on. I read several reviews and wasn't sure what to expect. Arriving at the hotel and getting checked, I was still skeptical. But, once in the room with the doors open to the balcony, wow. The room was on the fourth floor and had an amazing view. The sounds of the ocean and the view were well worth the price. The parking was tricky to say the least. If you are out late you will probably have to use the parking that the hotel has at the annex, which is less than a block, and walk. If you are back by afternoon you should be fine. Breakfast was decent, waffle maker, juice, rolls, ceral, coffee...no bagels though. The are itself is small considering all three buildings use the area, but if you get there early you have no problems getting a seat. Access to the beach is literally an elevator ride away. Once downstairs you are a few feet from the sand, and a few more from the water. Area is great, never felt unsafe at all. Plenty to choose from for shopping and dining. Close to Myrtle Beach, which we went to twice, about an hour from Wilmington,NC which we also visited. The hotel is not brand new, but the ocean front rooms and the price make it somewhere I would stay again, no questions. The room was clean, no funny odors or bugs. And the housekeeping offered anything we needed. It was great.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the OceanSands for 3 nights recently. We were very pleased with the stay. The price was right for a beach front hotel. The room was clean. We did have 2 small issues that were taken care of as soon as we reported them. 1. Our smoke detector was laying on the night stand and not working. The front desk sent someone to put it back within 5 minutes. 2. We found we had no hot water. The manager wanted to upgrade our room to a suite and when we declined that he wanted to send us a snack basket but we also declined that and told him that we just wanted hot water for our showers. He said he would have it checked and if we still did not have hot water when we returned from dinner we were to let him know and then we would change rooms but that was not necessary as we had plenty of hot water when we returned. A pump had been replaced that day and had caused the problem. The rest of our stay was uneventful and very nice. Just be aware that the pool and lazy river are small but since we were there in October it was not busy and there was plenty of room but I could see it being very crowded in the summer. The staff were all very nice and helpful.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

This hotel far exceeded my expectations. I received excellent service from my first phone inquiry (thanks Dan!). We were warmly greeted upon our arrival, and Dan helped us again with nearby golf reservations at a wonderful course. The breakfast was very nice, the pool was beautiful, and the tiki bar had a great special on Saturday for college football! I can't say enough about how satisfied we were with our room, the bed, the view, the facility, and the value! I would definitely return to this hotel and recommend it to my friends. It's a really beautiful place with lots of outdoor spaces and conveniences. The indoor pool and whirlpool were great! And all the staff we encountered were friendly and truly seemed to enjoy their jobs. There's even a convenience store across the street that sells snacks, souvenirs, and bait! You just couldn't ask for more in a hotel...for kids, couples, business, anybody!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
The Prince Resort
The Prince Resort
#4 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Ce...
#6 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
North Beach Plantation
North Beach Plantation
#2 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,552 reviews

Been to BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach Resort? Share your experiences!