“Wonderful Stay in a Beautiful Condo”
Review of Mar Vista Grande

Mar Vista Grande
Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in North Myrtle Beach
Reviewed June 27, 2013

7 of us (incl 3 kids) stayed in oceanfront condo (rm 710). It was beautiful!!! Pictures I took of the room did not do it justice. There are 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms (great!). The master bedroom was awesome and the master bathroom was even better. The master bedroom and living room opened to a fantastic view of the ocean. You could even see the ocean from the stone shower stall. I am typically very cautious in hotel stays because I never think it's cleaned enough or think about what everyone did in that room before I got there (lol). I was totally comfortable here as if I was home. The condo was beautifully decorated, very clean, and more than enough room for us. Everyone was happy and we will definitely look into staying here again.

The only potential issue is with the cleaning service. It was never really clear on how much cleaning they were supposed to do...and it ended up being to take out the trash and providing clean towels. Luckily, because the condo was so nice none of us seemed bothered.

Also, I was not made aware of any kids' activities. That is something I would have liked for the kids.

Room Tip: Room 710 was great! Beautiful view and very nicely decorated. No issues with wear and tear as desc...
3  Thank the_oneils
Heather N, Guest Relations Manager at Mar Vista Grande, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

It is awesome to hear that you felt so comfortable during your stay at the Mar Vista Grande Resort. For a typically cautious guest, we are so happy that you found the condo beautifully decorated, clean, and spacious enough for everyone in your party. We definitely do provide a daily trash and towel service, and we also offer daily Kids Club activities on weekdays from Memorial Day through Labor Day. We can't wait for you to visit us again to take advantage of the full Mar Vista Grande experience!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We just left the Mar Vista Grande and it is a very luxurious condo experience. We had a 3 bedroom. One with a king and two other very spacious bedrooms with 2 doubles each. The condo was 1600 sq feet which was plenty of room for my 3 kids and husband...more than enough. Marble countertops, huge tile shower in MB with large jacuzzi tub. It also had two more FULL baths. Which were standard, but very, very nice. The views are magnificent. In our unit the mattress was very uncomfortable, so this could be an "owner" issue rather than a MVG issue. Outside you will find, while be them small, very enjoyable, lazy river, pool which is I believe 4 to six inches..yes inches, for the little ones, on the each end, leading to some stairs where the rectangular pool goes to I believe 4 feet. On the other end of the outdoor area is a large hottub. Just behind the outdoor pool is a large indoor area, but the ocean side is open preventing that chlorine, I'm in a terrarium feeling. Indoors is another large hottub. A large poor. And another inches pool that is quite large with an umbrella shapes water spout so kids can run in and out. The outdoor chairs are nice with those by the wall under gorgeous, strong umbrellas. You can count on getting up a dawn to insure your beach chair as there aren't too many, but I think that is pretty much standard at any beach condo. Elevators can be a bit slow, but not too bad considering the size of the complex. There were four, which we thought was excellent. Parking is tight, but we never had trouble. Beach is GORGEOUS! Plenty of room to play or relax. My only critcisms are a couple of staffing issues. We arrived early and didn't expect our room to ready on a Saturday in the summer. We just headed out to the beach. The problem was I went to a restroom during our wait time and heard a staff member complaining to someone waiting for the elevator about the huge Saturday turnover. They were about to go up to check in and rooms are said to be ready by 3. The staff member said to the customer, "You room won't even be close to being ready at 3, so you can forget that. If you come here again, come on a Friday or Sunday." I think she may have been trying to give good advice, but they way she worded made it sound like they weren't prepared for Saturday turn over in June at Myrtle Beach which I think they would know would be pretty much crazy. The customer didn't appear to be happy at all with this conversation. And our room, and this was no problem for us, but could be if you had an elderly or disabled family member, was not ready until almost 5. This was a just a surprising fact that the poolside bar kept running out of things. One day, the sign said, "Sorry, we are out of cups and ice. Ice maker on 5th floor." So I'm not sure if this meant handing out cups of ice to people or they couldn't make drinks at all. I didn't give it much thought until the next day I heard the bar tender laughing to another staff member, "Yes, I'm out of pina colada and mojito mix". It just made me wonder again about the preparation of the facility to be out of cups, ice, pina colada in the summer? No a big deal, but just suprising. I guess the thing that concerned me the most was the lack of security. They have a key swipe to get in and out of the pool, but it doesn't work. They have bands to monitor for residents to wear coming in and out from the ocean, but they aren't worn by 85% of the people, nor are they monitored. The pool is quite small with the chairs nearly on the edge and one day some teenage boys were throwing a real, fullsized football end to end. Keep in mind the "inches" sides of the pools clearly for babies on both ends. The problem is they weren't very good at the catching part of throwing football and the ball was hitting kids, flying all over, my video camera got drenched in my hands and I was at a good distance trying to video my daughter playing in the inches side on a missed ball. So the pool had to clear of all kids and swimmer so these two could throw a football badly. I looked around for someone that might work there and there was no one, ever, that was there to monitor behavior at the pool. So for such a luxurious space, gorgeous accomodations, it was just surprising that this one small,but very important detail, of proper staffing was overlooked. It seems they are running on "just enough" staff, but not really all that they need. It seems they clearly need more housekeeping staff, especially on Saturdays, they need someone to keep the bar stocked, and someone to monitor pool activity and who is coming on and off their property...but obviously they have cut corners here. Those small observations being said, on a whole, it was a very nice experience. Advice to future travelers would be to get there early on Saturday and pack a bag to hang out at the beach. Elevators will be a nightmare of those checking in with huge luggage carts so we were glad we are on the 6th floor to take the stairs. Chairs and umbrellas are available for rent on the beach. I'm not sure if this is the case in every condo, but we were impressed that the air conditioning worked wonderfully and there were fans in every bedroom to keep cool. Beach is large and while lots of people, plenty of room to not feel like you are on top of each other. There is a Florence bypass and Conway bypass that saved us on the commute. You will miss all that backup that is legendary in Myrtle Beach, or at least lighten the load. We would definitely stay here again. I would be 5 stars if just a little more security. It felt just a bit unsafe to me as I saw a couple of boys walking around the pool and later saw them way down in the neighborhood behind the condo, perhaps more than a mile away. I was wishing the bracelet rule was enforced.

Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank meljinqin

Thank you so much for sharing details of your luxurious condo experience! We are very happy you were impressed by your three bedroom condo and the spectacular view of the ocean! We do apologize for the concerns you had with our staffing and staff communications. We are currently addressing these communications issues right now with all departments so we can make neccessary improvements. However, we are thrilled that you would still definitely stay with us again based on your overall experience, and we will do whatever it takes to earn that 5 star rating from you in the future!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our family stays at the Mar Vista Grande every summer and we have always had an outstanding experience, I believe this is was our sixth or seventh straight year. We rent one of the larger condos that fits three families and four children, whether you are 60 or 2 years old, you'll love it. The condo, the view, the beach, the pool, the lazy river are all amazing, even the parking garage and elevator are nice. I can't imagine ever staying in another condo/hotel in North Myrtle Beach and I strongly recommend the Mar Vista Grande. Another benefit is the location, the Mar Vista Grande is in a nice area of North Myrtle away from the craziness of Myrtle Beach, you can get to golf, shopping, restaurants or whatever else you need in minutes.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Scott N
Heather N, Guest Relations Manager at Mar Vista Grande, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Wow, we are absolutely thrilled that you have been with the Mar Vista Grande resort ever since the year we opened! It is awesome that you believe the Mar Vista Grande is ideal for all age groups and that the condos, view, amenities, conveniences, and location/area make for an amazing stay. We are so glad that you have found your home away from home at the Mar Vista, and we will ensure that each year is even better than the last!

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We were trying to stay at the North Beach Plantation but could not get the room we needed for our 2 families. So during the call the lady said the Mar Vista Grande was a sister property and equally as nice. That fell short by about 75% percent. We arrived on Sat afternoon, my family of five and in-laws with a family of 4. Front desk personal were nice and helpful but ended there. We got our luggage and went to the room. It was worn out, carpet was one big stain, furniture in bad shape but livable for the beach and a week there. This statement comes from excitement and the kids wanting to get to the pool. The outdoor large pool had black mold growing in the corners so we stayed in the covered area pool went to the Beach. They cleaned this on Monday morning as they painted the dirty hallway walls to the pool. That night we realized no extra blankets in room or on beds.1 sheet and worn bed spreads all u get with pillows that belonged in the trash. (Broken and lumpy) We found out that no pool towels in room or at pool. You need to take your minimal showers towels down. We called front desk before we went to the pool and asked for more towels. Was told they would be right over. Waited an hour and finally left for the pool. On way to pool we ran into cleaning staff and asked them to leave us more towels please they said they would. Back from pool and no towels in room so we called again and was told they would be there in 15 minutes and by 9 pm Saturday night we just showered and used our pool towels. We only had 1 remote that would work with a TV. The rest either didn’t have batteries or work period. We had 5 TVs all different makes with different remotes. Sunday morning go to make coffee and the pot was on made from 2 or 3 Different types of coffee makers.
12 cups on the fill mark in the machine was about 2 more than the pot could hold. Real mess and being quick learners we realized just fill the pot, ignore water tube on maker. Also the paper hold would plug up and run coffee over. 30 years of grinding and making coffee and this thing messed me (all of us) up. The light switch in our bedroom would not turn lights on and if u got it to work it would pop and crackle. 1 Light out in master bath but i think it was out to not expose black mold growing in shower grout. This was Sunday afternoon when we got back from being out all day and again things starting to slow down for us and the kids slowed down. The patio furniture was plastic and broken. The table was broken on one edge to a point and our 2 year old ran her head into it. by this time we are really starting to notice all the really bad stuff in room. I was not really pushing it because we were out most of the day and at the beach having a blast. Monday morning and this was the time the coffee boiled out because it wouldn’t drain through the holder. Never did figure this one out. But during cleaning we notice the old grease mildew and the fuzz stuck to the cabinet doors above the stove and microwave. Left for Myrtle Beach and enjoyed the day. Got back to room showered and kids found shower Curtin moldy the 2nd bathroom. You also don’t get trash bags or extra toilet paper in the bathrooms. Had to run all this down at 7 pm Monday night. Tuesday morning called down for extra pool towels had them by 1 pm. The TIKI bar ladies deserve congratulations because they were great. Tuesday night we put our 2 year old down early because she had some long day and sunshine. Went to close master blinds and about a 1/3 of them were missing or would not close so patio lite was shining in her bed. This was it my wife and her sister had enough of this luxury sweet. Wednesday i go down to front desk explain the issues and many others i have left out and they tell me i need to speak to heather but she won’t be in till Thursday. So i head back to room and within minutes a maintenance guys shows up an i walk him through the room. He says this is bad, really bad. We don’t really want them doing a remodel on the room while all our stuff is there so we say just leave everything alone so we can show Heather. He said good idea and I’m sure Heather will make this right with you. Fine we leave hotel spend the day at barefoot landing. Nobody ever wanted to eat at the room due to how bad the furniture was so we ate out for dinner as well. Thursday morning I go to front desk. Meet heather and we go over all the issues. She apologizes and said this is very poor condition and offers a discount next time we stay and I’m thinking you have to be kidding. She also offered 50.00 at TIKI bar and all kids activities for free for the day. Now this is our last night we will checking out Friday morning. As she is offering this stuff to me my wife said that while i was at the front desk they decided to just go home and call it over. This is after one family spent 2400.00 to fly out here. We paid 3500.00 for this room from Saturday till Friday. And all we get for staying in a room that may have been worth 200.00 per night in any old beach hotel is 50.00 at TIKI bar and free kids day. we get this is really bad but she said i should have complained earlier. Mar Vista I did learn that from you. This is my first long drawn out complaint ever but the response to a totally unacceptable situation was 50.00 at TIKI bar and free kids day. They also gave us back the last day since we didn’t stay there. Wasn’t that nice Mar Vista Grande. i have always believed in the AAA rating system and this one in a 4 Diamond but they must look at certain rooms. This was the only bad experience we have had in Myrtle Beach and it was at Mar Vista Grand. Sorry this was long But the crew at this hotel doesn’t look at all rooms apparently and the cleaning staff just parks their personal cars in the unloading zone for guest. That should have said something before i laid down a credit card to pay. I have stayed in older run down beach units before but expected it, knew what i was getting. This was bad and for 3500.00 it should have been a lot nicer. So i would say beware and AAA should really look into how they rate accommodations. This would have been a 1 or maybe 2 diamond. Hope it helps, they won’t.

11  Thank rickag1
David D, General Manager at Mar Vista Grande, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

I am disappointed in the condition which this unit was found. As can be seen in our other reviews, this experience is nowhere near the standards we have set at this resort. All issues have since been rectified, including the addition of a brand new patio set. In speaking with this guest after the review, we are eager to have them back at the resort again for the experience they deserve!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We recently stayed at Mar Vista Grande for four nights. We were in unit 804. For 1 small child and 3 teens/young adults and 3 adults, the space was great. We had an oceanfront room with a beautiful view. The master bathroom was huge with two sinks, separate shower and tub. All 3 bedrooms were nicely decorated and spacious. There were two additional bathrooms that helped making sure everyone could get ready on time. The showers drained slowly, we called maintenance and the problem was fixed right away. The kitchen was wonderful, although we didn't do much cooking (plenty of plates, silverware, glasses, etc.). The dishwasher leaked, again we called maintenance and the problem was addressed right away. There was a washer and dryer in the unit. We washed towels and swimming suits during the week. Everything we needed was there in the unit.

There are also Kids Club activities for kids 5-12. My daughter attended a magic show, made necklaces, participated in pool games, kite flying, and more. That was really a nice touch (although she was happy to be in the pool for hours).

The proximity to the beach was wonderful. You can rent beach chairs and umbrellas until 5pm. There are plenty of beach shops around if you need sand pails, body boards, etc. We brought beach towels, so we didn't have to use the room towels.

I can't say enough wonderful things about the unit we rented. We will definitely be back next year.

7  Thank Nikki W
Heather N, Guest Relations Manager at Mar Vista Grande, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your four night stay at the Mar Vista Grande. We are so pleased to hear that the space was great for your family size, the minor maintenance issues were fixed right away, the unit has everything you needed for your stay, and that your daughter enjoyed our Kids Club recreational activities, art projects, and magic show! We love knowing that you will be back next year, and we can't wait to give you another wonderful experience even better than the last!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We rented unit 1210 through Todd Harmon from the VRBO website and found it to be just as nice as the pictures showed. We went mid May with 9 family members and found the condo to be a very good size for this number of people. We have rented other condo's many times in Myrtle Beach but found this one to be the nicest. The building itself is very clean and well kept. The front desk was very helpful. Having booked the condo from Saturday to Saturday and having arrived Friday we needed a place to stay. The front desk went over and beyond to get us into the condo we had rented for the week so we would not have to move. Nice touch. Definitely would return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank FRASIER
Heather N, Guest Relations Manager at Mar Vista Grande, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

We are so happy to hear that you rented a condo at the Mar Vista Grande, and that everything was as nice as what the pictures showed online. We are pleased that you were satisfied with our clean facilities and that our helpful front desk personnel went above and beyond to make your stay all the better. We love hearing that you would return to the resort, and we welcome you back any time!

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Mar Vista Did Not dissapointment!!! I visit for My Birthday over Memorial Day Weekend (May 23rd to May 28, 2013) and Your Resort made My stay most pleasurable!! When I made reservations I request a Newer, Modern Unit and Mar Vista Definately made that happen. Upon arrival, at Suite 804(the word room is a understatement) I was in absolute awe at the way the unit was decorated, all the way down to this sayings on Various paintings throughout, the Unit was impeccable!!! The unit was HUGE, although there were only 2 of us occupying during My Visit, we booked a 3 bedroom corner unit and had plenty of private space. I like how the bedrooms were separated to give privacy when needed. Unit 804 was Spotless, and decorated very tastefully! The Unit had everything You would need during your stay! Fully equipped kitchen, bedrooms had extra pillows and blankets, all cleaning supplies(vacuum, broom, mop, etc). I stayed during a busy holiday weekend and Mar Vista even provided extra security which made us feel extra comfortable, that was a plus, that showed us that Guest Safety was also a priority. I have no complaints whatsoever! 2 beautiful CLEAN pools, a poolside Bar and food, and a spa on Premesis, the beach just a few feet away... what more could a Birthday Girl ask for ;-) This is one of the BEST Resorts I have stayed in Myrtle Beach and believe Me I have been a guest at some of that rank high on the list! You won't be disappointed!! Thanks for Making this Special for Me Mar Vista, I will be back :-)

Room Tip: Unit 804 was Impeccable, but if I may add, during our stay we met the lovely Couple who owned unit 8...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank ypowell350

We are so very pleased that the Mar Vista Grande Resort made your birthday a birthday to remember! It is awesome that the unit was impecabble and had everything you could possibly need during your stay. We agree that guest safety is huge priority, so we are happy to hear that our onsite security made you feel safe while vacationing with us. We want to thank you for being our special birthday guest and we invite you back to the resort--we promise to make any day a special one for you!