“The Last of the Prince”

Philadelphia
“The Last of the Prince”
Reviewed September 3, 2008

September 2, 2008
We've been to Myrtle Beach 21 years now and this was the worst stay ever. First, our reservation which was made the previous year was not honored. We did not have the accommodations we asked for which were specified on our reservation sheet. The condo is not user friendly e.g., if you are a family planning to make family meals in, the dinnerware and cookware is limited. We wanted to make a salad one night and called down for a salad bowl. A strainer was delivered to our room to be used as a salad bowl. We already had one of those. This is not what we saw when we made our reservation. We were shown a very well stocked kitchen and two master bedrooms with king beds as we requested. We were two married couples with a single adult. They gave us a master bedroom with a king bed and the second master bedroom with two double beds. Not what we signed up for and on the 18th floor, much higher than we wanted. A beach renovation project was going on right in front of the hotel. They worked part of the day and most of the night. Needless to say, not a very pleasant night sleep. Nor did we have access to the beach for most of the time we stayed. Being beach people and having brought beach chairs and umbrellas that was a waste. The hotel staff tried to say the hotel was not aware of the project but everyone in town at the restaurants and shops said the project was well advertised months ahead. We would have not stayed at the Prince if we had known. For a fairly new place it is not in very good condition. The furniture and carpets show a lot of wear and tear. The Prince needs to decide if they are a hotel or condo because clearly families wanting a fully supplied condo would not be able to make due. Not a place we would come to again. Dissatisfied from Philly.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Kitchen supplies
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Madhungarian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
franklinville,nc
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We usually stay at Wyndham, formerly Fairfield, my former employer, but my grandparents dropped their timeshare. So we had to look into replacing our usual stay. I found The Prince on hotelportal.com. I read all the reviews, good and bad, and booked it anyhow. I liked the majority of the reviews, the location and excited it was on the pier. We love North Myrtle!
We had two 2 bedroom rooms, unfortunately on 2 different floors.Requested lower floors, grandma can't hardly walk, and received 6th and 10th. That meant running up and down elevators, only three of them, and that meant a wait everytime. The rooms had no brooms or vacuum cleaners, which I am used to, I had next to no utensils in the cabinets, had to call housekeeping for an extra frying pan, trash bags, and sheets. There were no scrub pads for the pots/pans so the dishwasher had to do the work and that doesn't help! We left our hard-worked for seashells outside the room because the conch shell had a live animal in it and an hour later it was gone!!!! This is most upsetting and housekeeping acted ignorant of it! They had to have taken it, who else takes Walmart plastic bags from your door but the maids? It was obvious it wasn't trash! We worked hard, all eight of us to get them for our toddlers! The beach was being 'renourished' so there were alot of good shells that I haven't seen in years! We wasted our time and ruined our trip! So I am sorry I didn't heed other travelers advice!
On the other hand, the cart assistants were great and we tipped them heavily! The guy with the braids was awesome and very friendly!
The bar at the pool lacks personality. The waiter wasn't thrilled to be working on a Saturday night. He said it was killing his Saturday night to be there! They closed at 11, which is like nuts! We just came out of our room at ten , had no idea they close that early or would've gone elsewhere. Lauren the bartender did nicely call us a cab but it didn't show. Not impressed with the bar.The pool area was fine but really should have been wider, Not enough area for all the chairs comfortably spread out. But it was clean and neat. The kids loved the fountain in the kiddie pools. There really should be an overhead walkway to the lazy river between the towers for better access. Was a real pain to get on elevator, cross street, take another elevator up to the pool there.
Rooms were as pictured. Rates were good. Employees at check-in/out were cordial. At best, mediocre is all I can say. I won't say it was terrible, but lotsof areas to repair!
I would really like a manager to reply. I was in 1007 and 603 on 8-29/until 09-01.

• Liked — location, bellhops
  • Disliked — too much extra`work' to get to where you need to go or get done that should have been easy
Apex, North Carolina
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We stayed four days at this hotel and during that time we had a few issues from the begining of the stay.

1st., the city was doing a beach replenisment, which the hotel failed to notifiy us when we made the reservation. So we spent the week with pipes on the beach, loud trucks and heavy equipment from 6am till at least 10pm everyday, including the weekend and Labor Day. Not a very nice sight when you spent a bunch of money for an ocean front unit.

2nd, the hotel resturant was just so-so. Staff never did get our order right, charged us for things we never received and then charged us for the items wrong on the order.

3rd, while the rooms are nice, the parking is a nightmare with large columns every three spaces and very hard to get even a small car into them. No mirrors in the garage, so be careful coming around the corners. you have no notice another car is coming.

4th, This is a totaly smoke free facility which we liked very much. The only thing is we could not sit on the balcony and watch the ocean. Since everyone smoked on all the balcony's around us and when we called the management. The only response was they will be charged if they are caught. The never stopped anyone, reqardless of home many times we call.

5th, Pool is very small on the beach side as is the hot tubs. Just was overcrowded all the time. Let alone the weekend we stayed there was was too much drinking and smoking in the pool. Again, management had no interest.

So my suggestion would be to use at your own risk.

• Liked — Nice Room
  • Disliked — Everything Else
1 Thank MrPepper3
Pittsburgh
Reviewed August 31, 2008

Our realter screwed up and booked us a room, then changed our room after one day.
The room we were put in was not identical to the first promised room, and we did not have proper sheets as we did not rent theirs but brought our own. We could not reach the realtor , but have since, you betcha!!
When I asked the people at the resort to help us with sheets they said they could do nothing.
The manager said it had nothing to do with them several times.
In fact, he said nothing had anything to do with them, so I suggested if he has nothing to do, he should just go home.

Now Prince Resorts rents our their own rooms. Aside from those realtors rent out for them.
I would assume they sometimes have to supply sheets for THEIR customers, but I was told they had no sheets and could not help me.

Thats my complaint, pure and simple.

• Liked — fighting with the manager
  • Disliked — changing rooms after stocking the refridgerator for a week.
columbus, ohio
Reviewed August 29, 2008

My wife and I decided to take our first vacation in over six years. Unfortunately our schedules only allowed for a long weekend away. After much research we found the Prince Resort in North Myrtle Beach. We arrived early on a Friday after a 12 hour drive, check in wasn't until 4pm. However this posed no problems as parking for the Cherry Grove Pier is available next to the hotel and even though our room wasn't available yet, the hotel staff gave us our pool and parking passes. With the pool/beach and restaurant available, waiting on the room wasn't really a problem. In a few hours our room was ready and we were unpacking. The hotel met and/or exceeded all of our expectations. The room was neat, clean and spacious. Check in and check out was very easy. The pool with the bar/restaurant were nice to have so nearby. The beach wasn't crowded and was very enjoyable. The cleaning staff arrived each day and thoroughly cleaned our room. We stayed on the ocean front side and would recommend this side for people with small children, as crossing the road can be challenging at times.

I would recommend this resort for anyone looking for a quality vacation. Over the years I have stayed at numerous hotels/condos in North Myrtle Beach and can honestly say that the Prince Resort is the best place I've ever stayed on the Grand Strand. We're already planning a longer trip to the Prince for next year.

• Liked — Location and price of accommodation.
1 Thank diggerfloyd
NC
Reviewed August 26, 2008

This is a great place for singles or family. We arrived with no reservations and they had no avaliable rooms for the dates we wanted. Then one of the managers looked through the whole resort and pieced us together a different room for each night just so we would have a place to stay. The rooms make you feel at home espically the Cal. King beds. The only complaint I have is that the bar and grill down by the beach stopped serving food at ten and last call was eleven. Then the pier closed at twelve and you had to pay $1.50 (which is not bad for an all day pass but if you stayed in the resort you used to be able to go for free)

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bdo41908
Hallsboro, NC
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We live about 45 minutes from Cherry Grove and my family and I just needed to get away for a weekend. Where we usually stay was booked, so i surfed the web for somewhere else to stay. My friend usually stay's at The Avista in Cherry Grove but they too were booked up. The nice lady that I spoke with at The Avista suggested The Prince Resort....that they were part of their "family"....I am thrilled that I did!! The person that I spoke with at The Prince Resort was very friendly and was very patient with answering all the questions that I asked. I made a reservation for a two bedroom condo in the towers across the street .....I was assured that I would have a perfect view of the beach and numerous amenities. When we drove up at the Prince I was very happy......When we checked in and got to our condo I was thrilled......wow......the condo and view was fantastic!!!! The condo was huge, very tastefully decorated, very clean and the view was perfect!! Even though we were across the street from the ocean the public access was across the street from us so our view of the ocean was not hindered at all. In the tower where we stayed we had a nice pool, two hot tubs, kiddie pool, lazy river and an awesome workout room on the ninth floor. It was just a skip across the road to the main building where there was another pool and hot tub, the huge fishing pier and the neatest little cafe' and bar!!! The employees always had a smile on their faces and were very nice. My family and I had a wonderful time and will be back for sure!!! I have bragged and bragged about The Prince Resort...you guy's are great!!!!! Thank you!!!!!

• Liked — roomy, clean, friendly, price
  • Disliked — nothing
1 Thank Sabela1101
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Myrtle Beach
Avista Resort
Avista Resort
#4 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach R...
#2 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Ce...
#6 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
#17 of 209 in Myrtle Beach
North Beach Plantation
North Beach Plantation
#1 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach

Been to The Prince Resort? Share your experiences!