“What a Pleasant Surprise”
Review of Fat Greek's Restaurant - CLOSED

Fat Greek's Restaurant
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We are big fans of Greek Food, and have found that except for diners, good Greek restaurants are generally few and far between - except if you happen to live within striking distance of Tarpon Springs, FL. We are vacationing in N. Myrtle Beach and have driven by The Fat Greek a few times thinking it looked like diner food. Finally, we developed a craving for Greek food at lunch time and decided to give it a shot. I'm so glad we did.

We walked in and immediately changed our minds about our prior assessment. The place was bright, cheery, clean, attractive, and best of all - the aroma of really good Greek food wafted through the place. It has a homey feel to it and the service enhances that feel - very friendly people.

A quick review of the menu and I was pleased to see that my very favorite Greek green beans were there. Unfortunately, when I ordered them I was told they didn't have them. Bummer. My disappointment was brief, however. I ordered the avgolemono and one of the grilled pita sandwiches. My wife ordered the Greek burger.

The portions were large in general, and the service was efficient. My wife said that her burger was the best burger she'd ever eaten. It was quite large and she didn't get a chance to eat the fries that accompanied it. I did. They were as you would hope your fries to be - crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. Know that my wife is not prone to "rave" about her food, rather she takes a pretty critical view.

My soup was creamy with egg and rice, and delicious. It was just tart enough so that the lemon enhanced rather than overpowered. The tzatziki that accompanied the sandwich was thick and rich, the sandwich was huge and messy, and my heart sang. Can't wait to go back for dinner.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

So after checking TripAdvisor for recommendations in North Myrtle Beach, I hied myself down the highway and tried Fat Greek's. As has been previously published, they have a gyro lunch special for $7.95, so I went for that.

Delicious! And pretty messy, what with the delectable tsatsiki and the overstuffed pita, but fortunately I had come just as they opened and was the only patron there for a while. Next time I go (and there will be a next time), I'll ask for light onions, 'cause I can still taste them a couple of hours later. Oh, and I had to ask for a box for the "small" salad, since I couldn't finish both it and the gyro, so I opted for the gyro.

They don't seem to have a website but do have a Facebook page under THE Fat Greek's Restaurant.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We first ate at Fat Greek's last winter and loved, loved, loved it! Fresh, homemade Greek dishes, great service and very good prices and portions. We always had to take some home. This year we had a great experience when the owners were there...amazing food, they even wanted to give us free dessert and when we said we were too full, they sent it home with us! Our second experience this year, during the Christmas holidays, was less than we have come to expect. I wanted rice with my chicken souvlaki dinner and at five o'clock we were told they were sorry but they were out of rice! Out of rice??? Isn't that a staple and wouldn't you know you were going to be out of it before supper time? I think the owners were away and the staff they had working just were not up to the usual experience we have had at this restaurant. The food presentation was not as good, the pitas were much smaller than they usually have. It was still a very tasty meal but we expect consistency. We will certainly go back and if the owners are there we will relate to them our disappointment at our last visit. If you go, try the lamb kebab dinner if it is on special.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

My wife, Dad, Uncle, Sister and Brother in law are in Myrtle Beach this week and just got checked in to the Wyndham Ocean Blvd Resort. We we're hungry and were tossing around ideas for dinner when my sister said that she had passed the Fat Greek Restaurant earlier on her way to the resort and loved greek food. So we decided to go there. It's not a big fancy place but it was well furnished and looked to be busy. We sere seated right away and had good service. We all tried the original gyro and gat a small greek salad with it for $7.95. The gyros were enormous and delicous. We will be going back soon try some of the other menu items.

Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

You'd be a skeptic from the outside, but once you walk in and smell the aroma you'd feel at home.

I am Greek and the food made me feel like my own mom was in the kitchen, or as if I went to my Greek churches festival.

Being from Brooklyn Ny, with the roots of a Greek city, I moved to NC 10+ years ago and haven't been able to find anyone close to the authentic fair I love.

I have now, we frequently visit myrtle beach several times a year, and now have a restaurant pinned to our agenda with each visit.

The server, Sophia what a doll.

Thank you for opening. We look forward to visiting you again soon.

Come check this place out, you wouldn't be disappointed.

2  Thank Joann F