“Great Resort and Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wyndham Ocean Boulevard

Wyndham Ocean Boulevard
GreenLeadersGold level
Kinston, North Carolina
“Great Resort and Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

My son and I stayed here and had a wonderful time. The resort has two buildings, one on the beach and one across the street. We stayed in the one across the street. The resort offered daily activities for guests, and is within walking distance from restaurants, bars, shops and other family friendly entertainment. I would definitely recommend this resort.

1 Thank Monique H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
long island, ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed from Sunday-Thurs. Aug. 25-29 2013. We had a 2 bedroom 2 bath on the 12th Floor in building 1. I was very happy with the room. The bedrooms were large and it was nice that each had its own full bath. Each had its own TV with a pretty good selection of channels. They were new Samsung TVs in the units. The unit was clean and ready for our arrival. Having a washer/dryer was very useful and it turns out essential.

I was told by our initial salesperson and the phone booking person that for a few extra dollars per day, we could ask for daily or 2 times per week maid service. When checking in, we were told that was not available and it would cost $85 if we wanted the full scale cleaning of the unit. I like a daily change of towels and the little fixing up of the room each day I'm on vacation, so this annoyed me a little, but only a little. We had to wash and dry our pool towels and bath towels everyday.

The location is fine, but nothing special. It is a longer drive to Broadway at the Beach then staying in Myrtle Beach, but the 25 min. drive was easy when we chose to go. It is a little closer to places like Outlet shopping or Naked Landing. There are also a lot of nice mini golf courses nearby. (My kids always get to play a couple times on vacation)

My only real negative was the pool situation. The way the pools for the 3 buildings on the beach are setup makes no sense. For almost the entire day and certainly from 10a-4p, some or all of the pools are in the shade. I don't mean just a bit of shade, I mean half or from 2pm on, the entire pool area is in the shade. Most people seem to hangout on the beach because of this and not the pool area. Most people in the pool area are only using the Jacuzzis. This means that it is difficult to meet other people with similar aged kids. The pool is great for that, the ocean not so much. We met some friends in Myrtle Beach for the last 3 days of the week and that hotel had a really hopping fun pool. I wish Ocean Blvd. could have provided that fun environment, but because of the shade, they couldn't. By the way, it seems that the buildings with pools between them are setup that way to maximize the number of units. Just a thought to you if you are thinking of a Wyndham time share. They maximize units, not necessarily setting them up in the best way for the guest.

I read a bunch of reviews before going, so I am going to write a little about what I expected and what I found.

1) Room-- No funny smell. They were clean and very nice.

2) Elevators- We were on the 12th Floor of building 1. There are 2 elevators for the building. I was told that the building was 100% full. I never waited very long for an elevator. I was prepared for really bad elevator service. I found the elevators service more than acceptable.

3) Parking-- Parking is a pain for buildings 1,2&3. No issue for building 4. This again is an example of maximizing units over the joy of a guest stay. They put the lobby on the same level as parking and thus take up many useful spots with the building. They could have added a couple more floors of parking, but again chose to maximize # of units and thus timeshare sales. There is plenty of parking by building 4 and the overflow lot behind building number 4. We would just drive right to the overflow lot at night when coming back from dinner. It isn't a bad walk maybe 1-2 minutes to buildings 1,2&3.

4) Friendliness-- The hotel employees were unbelievably friendly. That goes from reception to concierge to the maintenance guy I saw in the elevator. All were friendly and no request was ever seen as a problem.

5) WiFi--- It was barely working the weekend I was there. It is provided by AT&T. Apparently they have been having trouble with Apple devices all Summer. MY daughters macbook couldn't hookup to the WiFi at all. Our ipad or iphones worked very sporadically and slowly. I was told that the end of September they are doing a complete upgrade of the WiFi in the complex.

6) Timeshare sales-- We were there on the "Discovery Program". That means we prepaid for our stay. Here is how they hit you up. When you check in, you are sent to another person to get your parking placard. At that point, they make an appointment for someone to stop by your unit the next day and bring you your free DVD rental card and to just checkup and make sure you have everything you need. The next day that person stops by and does a survey to make sure that everything is OK with your unit and stay. This is a salesperson. They try to make another appointment for you. Here is how to stop the pitch. Tell them vacation ownership isn't for you, just keep insisting. At that point, they will want to make an appointment for you to "sign for legal reasons that you are giving up your equity rights". They will also say that your spouse must also come and both will need to bring a driver's licencse. This of course is complete B.S. as they don't really need you to sign anything. That's OK. Just make the appointment. This will get them to leave the unit. Don't go to the appointment. They will then call you and ask why you missed the appointment. Tell them you were having too much fun on the beach and just didn't go. They will want to reschedule. Say No. They will say you have to for legal reasons. Tell the "No, it isn't going to happen" They will tell you that for legal reasons you must come and sign away your equity rights. Say to them "You know and I know that isn't really correct. It isn't going to happen, but I thank you for your good wishes." At that point they will thank you and you will be free from sales pitches the rest of your stay.

Room Tip: I think that all units in buildings 1&3 are ocean front.
4 Thank snapps
Monroe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

We had a 3 bedroom suite which was very clean and big. This was our first time in Myrtle Beach and we had a wonderful time. Beach umbrellers and chairs were supplied (nominal fee), pools were nice. Location was very good and we could drive to many attractions and dining areas.

Catawba NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

It is like a nice quiet neighborhood but at the beach. The homes are really clean big and not far from the ocean you can walk or call for a golf cart to pick you up. The only problem we had was getting a golf cart sometimes the phone would ring and ring with no answer so we would just walk. That is the only complaint we had everthing else was good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

We are Wyndham timeshare owners, and this was our first time at Ocean Blvd. I loved that it is right ON the beach. Lovely pools and lots of lounges to hang out on near the pool and on the grassy area. I also liked the location in No Myrtle near wonderful restaurants and shopping. The unit was roomy, a 2 bedroom deluxe. Nice size rooms and kitchen. There are TVs in the living room and both bedrooms w/ cable. DVD in the living room. In the kitchen you have pots and pans, wine opener, can opener, dishes, glasses, blender, toaster full size refrigerator, oven and 4 burner stove. All you need to cook! Linens are great, beds and pillows comfy. And the pools were terrific. Beach access is so close! Loved this place. You may need to park and be shuttled, parking is an issue on a busy weekend! So be aware. Only one negative and I am posting that separately as well to warn people about the sales tactics used. Other than that, LOVED it here. (Wyndham owners beware!!! ONLY negative: the timeshare sales people said they would come the next day to "INSTALL" a special DVD rental access. There's NO INSTALLATION; that is a deceptive sales tactic to get in the door. You can simply get a card in the lobby at the desk and get free rentals, it is like Redbox. NO INSTALLTION NEEDED! This really angered me that ONCE again a salesperson used something deceptive!! When will they EVER learn that it just makes owners upset?)

Room Tip: Presidential suites face the beach head on, the deluxe rooms have a side balcony, but still a lovely...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank NCMichelle
Keymar, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had two units side by side. It was wonderful. The staff could not be better. Our Friends daughter was married on the beach. We held a small reception in the activities room. Staff was really helpful in making this a memory for all of us and the wedding party. The timeshare is perfectly located. A short drive to any golf course or great eatery . One of our best timeshare experiences. Well done.

Room Tip: Any room above 1 is great
Winston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

The staff at the resort was awesome, especially Janet and Michael who would not let me touch my luggage to unload and carried the dolly up to the condo and unloaded everything for us...earth angels =) everyone was so helpful they couldn't do enough for us and our friends that stayed with us said the same thing. This was a much needed vacation, it was my husband's first time back on the beach since his severe stroke. They also had a beach wheelchair and all the lifts necessary so that he can enjoy all the water amenities that they had at the resort. The resort is always great but the people were awesome and they made this trip fantastic for us. Thank you. God Bless you all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Myrtle Beach
Avista Resort
Avista Resort
#4 of 53 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,140 reviews
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach Resort
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 53 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,364 reviews
The Prince Resort
The Prince Resort
#5 of 53 in North Myrtle Beach
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Ce...
#6 of 53 in North Myrtle Beach
North Beach Plantation
North Beach Plantation
#1 of 53 in North Myrtle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,502 reviews

Been to Wyndham Ocean Boulevard? Share your experiences!