“Baffled - Can this be the same place?”

Peppertree Ocean Club, a Festiva Resort
Charlotte, NC
“Baffled - Can this be the same place?”
Reviewed June 21, 2006

We just returned from a week stay at the Peppertree Ocean Club. I can’t imagine how everyone gave this place rave reviews. This was by far the worst hotel/motel we have ever stayed in. I would say it is more comparable to a Super 8. The place is not much to look at from the outside. Even less to look at from the inside. It states that is has been completely renovated. I guess with the exception of our room. The furniture was all stained (and I don’t just mean a few stains here and there). Stained to the point that we did not want to sit down of the furniture. We placed a sheet on the couch. Didn’t bother to sit down at the dining room table. The furniture was old and the finish was all worn off. The floors were disgusting! We actually went out and bought cleaning products and scoured the whole place. I guess that’s why they provide you with a vacuum, mop and bucket. I couldn’t believe that this was a Fairfield Resort because we are Fairfield Timeshare owners in Newport, RI and usually their resorts are impeccable.

We were in a 1 BR 1 BA (Unit 309) which was the size of a studio which they converted. The bathroom was miniscule. Barely enough room for me, my husband and 3 yr old son. We almost left the first night, but decided to rough it out. It couldn’t be any worse than camping. It does have a full kitchen, but everything is miniature size. There are 1BRs that are larger that have a Jacuzzi tub in the living room, but ours wasn’t one. Also the ceilings are very low. I am 5’ 7” and I could touch the ceiling with the palm of my hand, so maybe it was 6 ½ feet tall which also gave the impression of being even smaller (but it was extremely small).

The pool area was nice. Nothing fancy, but the pools were cleaned daily as were the 3 hot tubs. There are two large outdoor pools and 3 hot tubs as well as a small playground for kids. There’s also a couple of picnic areas with tables and a large stainless BBQ grill. There was also a large indoor pool and hot tub which were clean as well. There are ice machines located on the 1st, 3rd and 5th floors. Daily linen exchange on the 2nd Floor is open from 9-4. So you could exchange your towels as often as you like, which was a big plus.

The location of the hotel is really Cherry Grove instead of North Myrtle. There is much less hustle and bustle and not so crowded as there are more private homes in this area. Of course it is located directly on the beach which is very convenient and our room had a small balcony overlooking the ocean. It is also15 minutes from Calabash where you can find great seafood restaurants.

The hallways and elevators were terribly filthy. I don’t think anyone ever cleans these places. I’m sure that’s why the floor in our room was so filthy. Also the sliding glass doors and windows need to be replaced as they are double pained and the seal must be broken because they are so filthy you can hardly see outside of them.

Some good restaurants to go to in the area are Chianti South (real Italian food) located on 17 in Little River. It is pricey but worth it. The best buffet by far was Ocean Garden Buffet. They have tons of seafood, Chinese and cooked to order Mongolian food. It was only $10.95/pp $16.95 if you wanted to include crab legs. Preston’s buffet was awful and much more expensive! A great small Italian place called Benito’s. Great Italian, not expensive. The best pizza I have ever had. We had the Fra Diavolo Pizza which has shrimp and hot peppers and it was excellent. Also the Veal Saltimboca was delicious. There is also the Atlantic Pancake House located just a couple of blocks down the street from the hotel which serves a good breakfast. And right across from that is a Bargain Beachwear place that has all the touristy and beach stuff you ever want and cheap prices.

Barefoot Landing is close by (as is the alligator adventure). I liked Barefoot Landing better than Broadway at the beach. It is not such a nightclub scene and they have higher quality shops.

All in all Myrtle Beach isn’t our type of vacation as we are more low key kind of people. But our 3 year old son had a blast. I think next time we will try Hilton Head. However if we do go back to the Myrtle Beach area we would definitely not stay at the Peppertree Ocean Club.

• Stayed June 2006
12 Thank Streich3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
NJ
Reviewed June 19, 2006

We are from NJ and we met up with our son and his family from NC in Myrtle Beach on June 11th. We flew Spirit which was great. We are used to the hassles of Philadelphia's airport, so AC was a wonderful change. And Myrtle Beach's airport couldn't be easier. We had a very nice condo with two bedrooms and two baths. The condo was very well taken care of and very well furnished. The property could stand some updating, but not much. We were on the south side and were facing a new building going up. The noise starts at 7AM, so be prepared to rise early. The place was very crowded with teenagers in the pools and hot tubs. Couldn't get near them. And after seeing how many kids were in them, who would want to??? Also, lots of smaller kids in the jacuzzi's. It would have been nice if the hotel established time limits or kept one of the jacuzzi's just for adults. The kids splashed the water out of them to the point of it being only 1/2 full. Didn't see many caretakers during our whole week there. The beach however was right there and very spacious. And they do not crowd you into a small group between flags like they do in NJ. North Myrtle beach is a long haul from Myrtle Beach, but we learned a secret. Take 9 up to 31 to get downtown to Myrtle Beach and Broadway on the beach. It saves a lot of traffic tension and is a very nice open road with few travelers. We went out to dinner every night. The places we went to were Thorny's, Thoroughbreds, The Parsons Table, Duffy Street and Carolina Roadhouse. All of them were very good. Very effecient and pleasant waiters and waitresses despite how crowded they all were. Anytime you can make a reservation or call a head seating, do it!!!
Would visit this place again, no problems.

Stayed June 2006
6 Thank Tricia51nj
Reviewed June 19, 2006

The room was beautiful!! Waking up in the morning and seeing the Ocean was the best. My husband and I had the best time ever!! The property is beautiful and everyone who works there were very helpful and polite. I will spend my next vacation there. The condo's are clean and come equipped with everything you'll need for a great time.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed April 27, 2006

Beatiful resort - everything u need on a vacation. I felt like I could live in the efficiency we had.

• Stayed April 2005
3 Thank DianaLogoRN
Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed February 14, 2006

Pulled up to the Hotel and first reaction was "Oh NO !!" looks like it is old and is in need of renos. Initially checked into a studio room with a side view of the ocean - couldn't imagine having to stay there for a week. My husband went to the office and explained that this was our first holiday in years and that we really wanted an ocean front room. They accomodated us and we ended upo in the most beautiful room with a view !!! The kitchen was great...fridge, stove and a dishwasher to boot !!! The living room had a pull-out sofa for extra guests,a jacuzzi tub and a deck overlooking the ocean - spectacular !!! The bedroom was large and had a king size comfortable bed.
We really enjoyed our stay ! The front office staff were a little crusty but the cleaning staff were great.

I would recommend this hotel but ONLY with an ocean front room. You will be disappointed if you stay in a room with a side view of the ocean,

• Stayed October 2005
7 Thank Johnnie-s_squeeze
Reviewed September 6, 2005

My boyfriend and I took our children (10 and 14) to this hotel for a week vacation. We had a great time. The staff was very friendly and we were even able to borrow 4 boogie boards from the hotel for the ocean. There are a lot families a this hotel, so I would not recommend this for honeymooners or romantic couples. It's also a little off the beaten path. That was fine for us but quite a trip to the South side. Restaurants in the area are pretty expensive, but of course this hotel has a full kitchen in each room so we ate most breakfasts and lunches in the room. Accomodations were great! We also had a jacuzzi in the livng room. The kids used it once. The master bedroom was very good size and the King size bed was awesome. Would definitely stay at this resort again. The only problem I had was I felt check and check out times were too early and late. 10 Am for check out and 4 PM for check in. Plenty of carts available for your use for luggage, groceries etc.

• Stayed July 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 30, 2005

this hotel is great, very comfortable we had four people and we were comfortable. the best was the jacuzzi in the kitchen

• Stayed March 2005