“Not so hot...”

Peppertree Ocean Club, a Festiva Resort
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We had the penthouse for a recent stay (3/br). Great location and view of the beach for miles from the balcony. Lovely balcony with table, chairs and glider. With the southerly orientation, we were treated to glorious sunrises and sunsets. Two outdoor & one indoor swimming pools, 4 outdoor hot tubs. Friendly, helpful activities staff procured show tickets for us. Posted activities schedule was inaccurate. Some events did not take place on scheduled days.
When we arrived at 3 pm, the temperature was 85 degrees. It took until 8 pm to get someone out to fix the air conditioning unit--somewhat. (The vents in the bedrooms never actually put out and quantity of cool air.) Furniture cushions in the living and dining area were disgustingly dirty & stained.The master bedroom is at the back of the unit and has a queen bed, whirlpool tub and terrible view (tops of buildings/air conditioning units with a bit of beach in the distance). Extensive accumulated dirt under the bureau (I dropped something and was afraid to try to get it out). The curtain was taped to the wall at the top and kept falling down. The front bedroom has a king bed, lots of windows, and curtains that wouldn't open (pull string to raise curtains was broken on 2 of the 4 panels). (Sleeps 8 but only 5 dining chairs)

Room Tip: I own a unit week on another floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank chill1222

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Since I reviewed this location, a couple of years ago, not much has changed. Nothing much has been upgraded. In addition, if you are travelling from outside of the USA, you will find that making long distance calls with your in-room phone, doesn't work. The front desk said you had to use your cell, instead. So, I guess the phone is for decoration?????
Otherwise, if you could avoid the bottom floor, go for it. It may be convenient in some respects, but, you don't have much privacy. In addition, you have no view of the ocean and you may be in lots of ' foot traffic ' when trying to get in/out of your room.
Would we return, ...not next summer.

The location just trumps it all.

Room Tip: get any room but, on the first floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AdrianSly
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is a very nice place to stay. It is clean, has all our needs for towels, bedding, and cookwares, etc. The master bedroom is very large as well as the bathroom with it. The other bedroom is nice as well. It has a living room, dining room and kitchen. All Vey nice. I like ther ceramic flooring in the living area. That is nice and easier to keep clean.
This place has 3 pools. @ outdoors and one indoor pool. It has at least 3 jacuzzi's and it is ocean front as well. It is a very nice and pleasant place to stay.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I really enjoyed my recent stay at this timeshare property. It was located on the oceanfront and very close to the beach and many attractions in the area. It was very clean, had all the amenities we desired and was great for good family vacation fun. I will plan to stay here again in the future!

Room Tip: be sure to choose any floor but the first floor as you only have a pool view from those rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We spent a week here in unit 205 (August 18-25, 2013). Great view of the ocean and very nice pools. Staff was pleasant and laundry exchange was easy. Interior of the unit could use some upgrading. Side of refrigerator was rusty and some of the burners on the stove were uneven. Dishwasher worked well and there was a 32" flat screen TV in the living room. Each bedroom had a TV, but they were small (19" regular TVs.) Shower head in smaller bathroom was great, but the bath/shower in the main bedroom could use a better showerhead. Plenty of room in the baths and abundant towels. Toiletries were furnished, as was dishwasher detergent, and dish detergent and paper towels. The couch was old and not very comfortable when opened up to be used as a sofa bed. Mattresses in the guest bedroom (twin beds) were fairly comfortable but mattress in master bedroom (king bed) was way too hard. Pillows were just okay, but did find ONE that was nice and soft and fluffy. I am a Festiva Owner and chose this resort from the group of available resorts for its location on the beach. I think some of the other units might be more updated (at least from looking at the pictures posted on the website they appear to be.) The kids wanted to be on the beach and this location was in a quieter area of Myrtle Beach and also closer to the the theaters than driving in from Murrell's Inlet. Activities director was very helpful and let us know about games and activities available. The pools and whirlpools were in good condition and were never too crowded, and the beach was just a few steps away from the property. I would stay here again for the convenience of being right on the beach but if you're looking for a more updated room with updated amenities, you should stay somewhere else. All in all, my family and I had a great time.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor near the center of the building for best views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 21, 2013

It was no one's fault that it rained the last three days of our week at the Ocean Club.

But it was someone's fault that we had one of the worst locations on the property - Room 233, on the second floor in the back of the L (building is L shaped), closest to the road with an unobstructed view of the neighboring parking lot and the public toilet.

As an Interval Exchange guest - not an owner - you know you're not going to get the best location. Hopefully, you won't get the worst. But we did, despite many requests to move.

That being said, we had lots of space in our two bedroom, and because of a bonus sitting area, we had four TVs. If you craned your neck and sat in the right spot on the balcony, you could see a tiny sliver of the ocean view. We enjoyed the pools and the beach access is great. Used the workout room, though it's hardly state of the art. Decor was fine and so was the location. It's fairly close to Cherry Grove.

Overall though, the Ocean Club is a bit run down and we had some ugly mold at the bottom of our master bath shower curtain. It made me apprehensive to run the Jacuzzi - thinking it might be a bit yucky - so we didn't.

Our stay was not horrible, but not great either. I don't think we'll be back.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms ending in 31 & 33; they'll be close to the road and far from the beach.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mooth
Reviewed August 3, 2013

OK. Let me start out by saying I really love this place, and I always have a good experience. I have been an owner for quite a few years. When I checked in, everything was fine except I couldn't get the sliding glass door on the balcony to close, but maintenance came up and fixed it within a few minutes. A few days later, I missed a voice message from the activities director about a cancelled casino bus because there was not any directions on the phone about how to retrieve messages, but the staff made arrangements for me to get the same deal the next day and the maintenance man came by and provided the instruction card for the phone. While he was there, he noticed the air conditioning wasn't working properly and I had a small TV in the living room. When I came back, I had a larger TV and the air conditioning was fixed. Great service by a dedicated STAFF MEMBER!!!

The unit was very clean except for the carpet in the bedroom. The floors were all tile in the rest of the unit, but the bedroom had carpet and it was filthy. If I walked to my bed at night, the bottom of my socks turned black. If I walked from the bedroom to the bathroom in the morning in my bare feet it looked like I was washing off mud in the shower.

But for the most part it was a great week until the last night. I had gone out to dinner, cleaned everything up to leave and was sitting on the couch enjoying a beer on my last night of vacation when the security guard pounded on my door like this was some sort of major drug raid and asked "Did you pour a beer off your balcony?" Well, no I didn't. He then said . "Is there anyone else in your room? What's your name? Can You spell that? That's going in my report!" You know, I'm 58 years old. I am not going to pour a beer off a balcony, and I don't appreciate being talked to like I am a 19 year old spring breaker. The last thing I want on vacation is for "Barney Fife" to show up and ruin the whole week for me. I truly hope this is not the kind of person you want to represent your resort.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo