“Great week!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Peppertree Ocean Club, a Festiva Resort
Richmond, Virginia
“Great week!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Normally my sister, girlfriend and I stay each year (my home base). This year my husband and I traveled down to spend our vacation in Myrtle Beach! He hasn't been since we purchased in the 90's. I can't remember if it has been upgraded or not but everything was clean and bright! I mentioned to him that we normally reserve a two bedroom and he suggested we do that next time. Our reservation was Sept 9 thru 16! We arrived on Mon (I told them we would be a day late checking in no problem) and everything was quick and easy! The temps were in the high 80's and the ocean water was fantastic while the pool water was chilly and the jacuzzi water was hot! No complaints here!

We can't complain about anything well maybe it needs renovation definitely in the kitchen and up to date tv's! The staff were accommodating, Eddie in maintenance was so helpful we only needed a battery for the tv remote! Oh yeah he suggested a place for dinner Eddie you were on point! Bennett's Calabash Seafood just pass Tanger Outlets gave us over 30 shrimp for $19.95! The buffet was $26.95; however we could not eat that much and opted for the smaller item!

We will return next year! Oh that's what the young lady at the desk said! Smile!

Room Tip: We were on 3rd floor a few rooms from elevator near activities and snack machines! No problems! only...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

After being on the road for 24hrs we arrived into North Myrtle Beach only to discover that the private condo that I booked the week prior was not what I expected. Upon arrival I paid the balance of $600 owing to the landlord of this not so fine unit. I thought I would do a bed bug inspection and discovered that there is bed bugs. Thankfully we got our deposit of $100 and the $600 back and high tailed it out of there. We stumbled into the Peppertree simply to use their courtesy phone. The Peppertree was the first resort that was easily accessable with plenty of parking so I pulled in there to simply use their phone to search out a last minute place to stay. After coming up empty I thought I would ask if there is any rooms available. The office staff were very helpful and sympatheic to my needs. They matched the price that I would have paid at the condo. They gave me the key to the room to inspect. I turned over all the bedding and removed the headboards. The place is immaculately clean. Had a wonderful stay and would definately return.

Room Tip: I had a great experience. I think any suite would be a good suite.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Susan R
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Just stayed at the Peppertree Ocean Club for a week with my family. We had a lot of fun. The resort sits right on the beach and includes two outdoor pools and four outdoor hot tubs (plus an indoor pool and indoor hot tub. We ended up in one of the smaller one bedroom units. The space was a bit cramped but we got creative and made it work (beach stuff stowed in the car - we grabbed it on the way to the beach). We brought two coolers to keep drinks and snacks in (also for overflow from the fridge - the coolers also filled in as side tables when needed). The kitchenette was designed for an apartment. It worked well enough for us to cook dinner a few times and breakfast including bacon and eggs (plus fresh coffee - unit was stocked with plates, cups, flatware, blender, coffee maker and pots & pans). Our unit was clean but (like the rest of the resort) could have used a new coat of paint and some TLC. There were scuff marks in the walls from the luggage cart. Some of the baseboards and trim were a bit beat up. The A/C worked great and the bathroom was bright and clean with plenty of hot water for showers at the end of the day. I also found the fold-out sofa (kids slept on this) surprisingly comfortable.

The best part was the location. Headed to the beach after breakfast each day (short walk from the pool area). Spent most of the day in the surf. Then rinsed off in the outside shower and hit the pools and hot tubs in the afternoon (all clean and well maintained). Trips to restaurants and attractions were only about 15 minutes away (nice because you can avoid them in North Myrtle if you want).

I can say some of the staff members seemed a bit disinterested. There were a couple that went out of their way to help when asked (kind of figured which were which after a couple of days). Luckily we didn't need much intervention during our stay.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay. The kids (7 year-old and 11 year-old) enjoyed the activities and even got a kick out of the tight quarters. Hopefully the economy will pick up and Festiva will decide to invest some facelift measures to pretty up the place for those who like the ambiance. Can't beat the location on the beach though.

Room Tip: One bedroom suites are not all the same. Ask for a unit with a jacuzzi tub. Also - ocean front if...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Smithfield, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

This resort is filthy. Upon arrival the resort looked old and run down. The inside was worse. The bathrooms were tiny and dirty. The toilet had urine on it and the shower curtain had FECES on it. There was no one on staff to do anything about it. My husband and brother in law walked up front and an on call security guard called management no response. He was told by another worker that they were not surprised this happened due to some of the resorts staff. This is terrible, I will never stay there again. We headed home, vacation ruined, we didn't even make it a full night.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank euticiamac

Travelers are raving about these North Myrtle Beach hotels

Raleigh, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Would give Ocean Club a 3.5 if I could.

The best thing about this property is that it is only about 5/6 floors high, yet it has an expansive pool area that many huge resorts would envy. Three different swimming pools, a wading pool, 4-5 hot tubs and a great stretch of beach. That's what makes this place great.

Our one bedroom condo, not so much. It was pretty much tiny for four of us, though decently equipped and decorated. Kitchen was also teeny, with little cabinet space for food. Balcony was, predictably, small. Overall, the property was decently maintained, but clearly aging.

Other high points - Location is good, right on the edge of Cherry Grove.The activity center really had activities and fun stuff for the kids to do. Junk food bingo was a hit with my 8 year old. And other guests were really friendly. Families obviously return year after year.

Other low points - The fitness center is pretty pathetic, with little functioning equipment, no mats to stretch on and no towels. The tennis court is in poor shape and located in the parking lot across the street. (Yes, we actually tried to play.) Our sofabed mattress was awful, but it was replaced once we asked. And front desk staff is marginal.

At the price I paid - really just an exchange fee - I would return. For full price, maybe not.

Room Tip: Try not to get one of the tiny one bedrooms. They're barely big enough for two people.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

My husband and I stay here for two days. Although this is an older hotel, its very comfortable and they take care of the property. The pool area is very nice, the view of the ocean from our room was really nice. Be sure to bring your kitchen supplies and food, the dinette/kitchenette has everything you need to cook meals. There isn't 24 hour customer service or housekeeping from what I could tell but that was okay. We really enjoyed our stay. It's nicer than I expected. It may not be a four or five star place but it is nice and clean and comfortable....

• Stayed August 2012
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

I own a one bedroom unit at POC and I never trade it. I use it every year (week 30). This place is great,. Terrific ocean front pool complex, scheduled entertainment, and the staff is great. One day, I came back to find my air conditioning not working, they came up and fixed it in 5 minutes. I asked for trash can liners, they were delivered in a couple of minutes. The staff works really hard to make sure you have a great vacation experience. One of the best places I stay, and I travel about 25 weeks a year.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo