“Your everyday hotel”

La Quinta Inn North Myrtle Beach
Ranked #40 of 52 Hotels in North Myrtle Beach
Reviewed May 21, 2008

Well, first off I booked through Orbitz and got a great deal. This hotel IS pet friendly which is a plus even though in the end I didn't bring my dogs. I wasn't expecting a 5 star hotel and I didn't get a 5 star hotel. It was just a place my husband and I could sleep at night. It was decent. I won't say the "staff" wasn't friendly but a few of the staff members were rather rude. That didn't bother me though. Every time we needed something we got it right away. We had a non-smoking room with a king size bed and it was roomy for the 2 of us. It was clean and the bathroom was spacious. The only thing we had a problem with on numerous occassions was the card to get in and out of the hotel room door. It kept telling us it was the wrong card so we'd have to bring it back down and have it reactivated. They said if you put the card near a cell phone it deactivates it. Our fault. The pool was okay. Kind of dirty. We swam in it once at night and saw stuff on the bottom and we're still not sure what it was! Its a small pool. Only 5 feet at the deepest. This hotel is 3 miles from Cherry Grove Beach which was nice if you don't mind driving. Its close to plenty of places to eat and things to do in North Myrtle Beach. Also, they have a breakfast every morning from 6-9:30 and it was okay. It pleased us at 8am every morning. They didn't have tons of stuff and actually ran out of stuff while we stayed but it had enough to give yourself a quickie breakfast. But all in all it was a decent stay and if I am on a small budget I wouldn't mind staying there again.

I'm also adding a few pics of the room cause I know I'd like to see actual pictures of where I'm staying and not pictures taken the day the hotel opened!! Don't mind my things and hubby in the pics!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 13, 2008

The front desk had great customer service. It was an easy check-in. The front desk called to the room about 30 min. after check-in to see if the room was o.k. We had a 2 queen bed suite. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. I was a little disappointed in the breakfast. It was not much of a selection and they did not have an employee attending the food. If you need anything you had to go to the front desk, compared to other La'Quinta's we've stay at. I think the price is still a great value.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2008

I did not expect much from a La Quinta, but this hotel was part of a golf package that included the room and golf course reservations. From the time we arrived, I saw trouble coming. The front desk was empty at 3:00 on a Sunday afternoon, and it took about 10 minutes for another employee to chase down the desk clerk. Check in proceeded smoothly after that.

The room had the old-fashioned window heater / air conditioner combination that was predictably noisy. Worse, when the fan was on, the condensation pooled on the carpet below. Whenever the TV was turned on, the volume automatically came on with full volume, and it could only be turned down to a modest roar.

The continental breakfast was quite limited and unappealing, and the dining area lacked plastic knives for two days. We were reduced to buttering toast with plastic spoons.

The bathroom was dingy and never seemed clean. In six days, we were left without a bath mat twice, and had no wash cloths on two other occasions. It seemed that towels were in short supply and the laundry was always behind.

There several other chain hotels in the area that would have been just as convenient to the many golf courses. If I return to Myrtle Beach, I'll find another place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed March 31, 2008

Our family (including two small children) came into Myrtle Beach at 3am on a Sat night and were in desperate need of a room. After checking with several hotels that were way too pricey (including where we would be staying the remainder of the week) we came across this hotel.

The front desk lady was friendly and offered us a late check-out 1 pm, which was greatly appreciated. The rooms were clean, our toilet seemed to have a small leak, but nothing that effect our stay. The hotel was quiet and a perfect place to stop for the evening.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed November 3, 2007

This a pet-friendly hotel so if you don't mind pets on the elevator or in the continental breakfast area, then you will be ok.... This is my first and last stay in this chain... This hotel makes me itch as I type this email because beyond the front desk was not in top condition. The rooms were ok, but the elevator had the same dirt on it each day we rode up and down it... I just got to the point were I didn't look down, I just looked straight ahead. There was not a manager presence on site either. The staff was friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank traveler2007Tn
Reviewed July 17, 2007

If you are planning to stay at this hotel, please read this so you can make an informed decision.

My friend and I were attending a wedding at Sunset Beach. We made reservations to stay at the La Quinta hotel located at 1601 N Hwy 17 in Myrtle Beach. The staff were very friendly but the general manager is grossly incompetent.

Due to a mix up on the part of La Quinta, both of our debit cards were charged for the same room. The general manager stated that he had called his credit card company and the origingal charges had been reversed. He then stated that my friends information had been deleted from the system. I told him that I was concerned if both cards were charged we would not have enough money to get home. He ensured me that this would not happen so I agreed for him to use mine.

We charged our food and gas on my friends card to balance out the room charges that we were told were to go on my card. Come to find out that both cards were charged and this added charge on her card had caused two NSF charges. We had to call family to get money for gas home as we lived in another state. After making several calls to the GM with NO reply, I called customer relations and they "emailed" the GM.

The GM complained about the two NSF charges stating that "NORMALLY" he was only responsible for one! I took that as he had done this before!!! When asked how he intended to compensate us for the inconvenience, he stated that he was reversing the charges - what more did we expect. This man has no customer service skills at all. As of this posting, the problem has not been resolved!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank aweemonkish
Reviewed April 1, 2007

Husband and I stayed for one night. Checked in without incident. Gentleman at the Front Desk was friendly and efficient. It was the exact room type I had booked, and very clean and spacious.
Trouble began at 1 a.m., when someone tried to get in our door (interior corridors), woke both my husband and me up out of a sound sleep. We both yelled "Hey!", etc., they left. We thought maybe someone had a bit much, and tried the wrong door - no big issue. The next a.m., my husband went to get the paper, we found that neither of our key cards would work, and they had the evening before. I went down to the desk to get a key that worked. I said "I am in ___, my keys don't work" - he immediately printed me up 2 more, and handed them to me. Granted, he was the same desk clerk who had checked me in less than 24 hrs before, but I was kind of surprised that he didn't ask for ID - I could have asked for some other room key, as I doubt he knew verbatim in which room each of the 60 people he had checked in the day before was staying.
Next, went down to get a bagel, or even a piece of toast for breakfast - it said breakfast until 9 - well, I got there at 8:40, and saw that the housekeepers were eating english muffins and toast, etc. I went over to get something, all that was left was 1 crust of bread, no muffins, no bagels, and only 2 single serv. boxes of Corn Flakes, and some waffle mix. Okay, I'll at least get some OJ - nope - only water coming out of that side. I thought these places hired someone to restock this food until breakfast time was over. I used to have such a job at a Days Inn Hotel, so I know how it works. Oh well, ate a piece of pizza I still had left from the day before (love that micro-fridge!).
Lastly, at about 9:30 a.m., once again, someone is using a key to get in our door. I went over, opened it, and it was housekeeping - "We have this room marked as 'vacant'." When we went to check out, the same gentleman who had checked me in, and given me the new keys, could not find my info - when he did, it was marked as a "no-show". Hence the person trying to get into the room (but aren't they supposed to hold those rooms until 6 .a.m.??), and the confusion w/housekeeping. I am amazed Front Desk didn't call the room at 1.a.m. when whoever that person was went back to the desk and said someone was already in the room. Anyway, he worked for about 15 mins to get everything straight, and get me a receipt that showed we stayed - as I needed it for reimbursement.
This is a very nice place, and I realize they just took it over from Red Roof, so maybe the transition is the issue.
Just make sure they check you into the system, so no one is trying to get into your room while you are asleep, and be sure you get to the breakfast area before the housekeepers do!!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business