“Loved it”

Ranked #20 of 52 Hotels in North Myrtle Beach
Fayetteville, North Carolina
“Loved it”
Reviewed February 3, 2011

The rooms were very clean, great ocean view and the price can't be beat. Staff were super friendly.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank guntera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed January 1, 2011

We purchased our stay at the Maritime through RCI as a last minute purchase, which means we were able to stay for a full week for less than $300. We stayed there for the week between Christmas and New Year's.

The resort is very old but is overall well maintained and was very clean. The unit was spotless clean at check in and most things were in good working order. The only challenges we noticed were that the drain in the shower was broken and the burners on the stove needed to be adjusted just a little bit to make them sit level. Overall our unit was in great shape. The bed was ok, but not the best, thin mattress and worn out pillows made the bed slightly uncomfortable. We stayed in a studio unit which was a little small but ok for two people. Every unit is ocean front and have a great view.

The resort has an outdoor pool which was covered by a blow up dome which made it usable in cold weather. There is a nice outside hot tube. They have a game room with ping pong, pool table and air hockey. There is a small internet room on the main floor and they offer free wireless (but the connection is SLOW). Small exercise room. They offer shuffle board, horse shoes, beanbag toss game. There are BBQ grills. There is a small bar and grill available in the summer time, but they were closed while we were there.

The staff were very friendly and always helpful when we asked for help or needed anything.

On New Year's Eve the resort offered a free party featuring table games, karaoke, snacks and a toast at midnight. This party was fun and was like a great family event.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JonLugoff_SC
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We stayed in a one-bedroom unit for one week through a timeshare exchange. There were good and bad things about Maritime.

GREAT - Right on the beach! Every room is ocean front, with at least a small balcony and sliding glass doors for a great view. It is just a few steps to the beach, and there is a nice walkway from the hotel right to the shore.

GOOD - The room was well-equipped, with a full kitchen. It had all the dishes and pots and pans that you need to cook a meal. Also had a coffee pot, blender, toaster, etc. We found the rooms to be clean and well supplied with towels, soap, papertowels, TP, dishsoap... pretty much everything you need to at least get started. The lobby looked like it was renovated and was very nice. We were happy with the cleaning service that came once during the week to exchange sheets and towels, clean the floors, and take out garbage. It was nice to have it spruced up half-way through our stay. We also were happy with the pool area. There was a large pool, a kiddie pool, and a hottub. Everything around there was in good repair and clean. Each morning the staff cleaned the pool area.

COULD BE BETTER - I know the building is old, but the rooms were really outdated. All of the wood furniture was banged-up and worn out. The walls looked like they had been painted about 20 times. The outlets and light switches were a little scary. The bedroom was extremely small - about 1 foot of clearance around the double bed on 3 sides. We also used the pull-out couch, which was your normal uncomfortable pull-out. Although the outside of the building looked like it had been renovated, the hallways and stairwells were dingy.

Overall, we had a nice week in Myrtle Beach. This would be a good (economical, right on the beach) place to stay if you spend most of your time on the beach or out of the unit. If you like to relax in your room very much, you might not want to stay here. I didn't feel very comfortable in the room itself. There were enough good things about the Maritime to make it a good vacation, but probably won't stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank missrachelj
Dawsonville, Georgia
Reviewed October 3, 2010

my Grandma is with RCI and traded her presidential week with another resort so we could go to myrtle beach. At the last minute my husband and I invited his mother and stepdad since we heard the room slept six. When we got there we were alittle shocked at how small the rooms were. The master bedroom was okay but the spare bedroom didn't have a t.v in it. Also the beds were actually very hard and uncomfortable. They only give you two pillows per room so I wished we would of brought ours from home. The hotel is actually very old so you could see some areas of the hotel that needed work on. The elevators were old and they shook alot when using them. Also bring some extra towels because although they did said they supplied towels for the pool and hot tub they did not. There was a bad storm that came and we woke up with our floors soaked and also our clothes got wet that were in a suitcase. I was surprised since we were on the 7th floor. Once we told the staff they came up with a wetvac and tried to get up as much as possible. They said there was a gameroom but all it is is a small room with one pool table and one air hockey table. Now on to the good things about this place. The view is amazing. Your right on the beach! The rooms were very clean and on a Wednesday they came and vacumned and brought clean towels. I was alittle disappointed just because the other resorts we stayed at through RCI were alot more upscale but the maritime beach resort was a decent place to stay and like I said the view was just amazing! The only real complaint is that when we got there they wanted us to park one of our cars across the street in the public parking place. My grandma went and complained because the rain was strong and the parking lot there had tons of spaces in them. They finally told my grandma she could park in there parking lot

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank llord22
Roanoke, VA
Reviewed July 10, 2010

The Maritime Beach Club(MBC) is a timeshare resort managed by Defender Realty. MBC is located on the ocean front in North Myrtle Beach, SC about 2 miles down from the Cherry Grove Pier. On one side of the MBC is the newer Avista Resort and on the other side is rental housing. MBC is a 1960s or 1970s era hotel that was re-purposed as a timeshare in the late 1970s. Units are available in 4 configurations: 3 bedroom penthouse (only 2 of these), 2 bed/2 bath units, studios, and 1 bedrooms. All units have a full kitchen and sleeper sofas.

I have stayed in all of the units except for the penthouse over seven stays in the last seven years. I have stayed at the MBC during July (normally week 27) for each stay. I have lifelong friends that come here and that is the primary draw for myself to stay at this resort.

I am not an "owner" at this timeshare. I simply call in advance and rent a unit from the managing agent (Defender Realty). I almost bought a unit this past spring, but do not believe that timeshare ownership is the best way to travel.

On to my review of the MBC:

The MBC, as stated, is OLD. It has had a number of surface remodels over the years, but the resort is old. The rooms are small and cramped. Air-conditioning is provided by window units mounted on the balconies. Central Air is not possible because the building does not have any duct work. In some units the a/c is adequate, in others it is not. The beds are small and not very comfortable. Overall, the rooms are sufficient and the full kitchen (silverware and dishes included) is a nice feature. Let me state that I go camping a lot and am used to roughing it. I consider the rooms at the MBC to be one step above camping. Why do I stay here (other than having friends that do)? The price!!! The MBC is a great value for the money when you consider that the Avista next door sits on the same beach and charges almost twice as much.

The pool at the MBC is 8.5 feet deep and reasonably large. There is a nice hot tub, tiki bar that serves drinks and food, a few outdoor games, picnic tables and grills, and direct beach access. You can walk out the door of this resort and 50 feet later you are in the sand. That is what makes it worth it to stay here.

Areas where I rate the MBC at 2 stars: Overall, cleanliness, service, and room quality.

Areas where I rate the MBC at 4 stars: Value

Sleep quality is a 1 star, the beds and sleeper sofa are horrible.

The location is 5 stars and is absolutely fantastic. 50 feet to the sand of the beach, 15 minutes north and you are in Calabash, NC and 20 minutes south and you are in Myrtle Beach proper. The beach is not very crowded and the pier is close by. I mention this again, if you are here to play on the beach and see the sights of the greater Myrtle Beach area, this is a good bet for a budget. We call this our "cheap vacation" because we can come here for a week and spend about $1500 (includes 650 mile round trip drive, Maritime charges, eating out, and activities). Compare this to resorts on the same beach that charge $2300/week just to stay in the resort.

I recommend that you bring an air mattress or bed pad to put on the beds to help with comfort. Laundry is located on the 4th and 7th floors, so bring some quarters and a laundry basket.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank RichardHead

Travelers are raving about these North Myrtle Beach hotels

south carolina
Reviewed September 20, 2009

This is an older resort but it is clean and well kept. The front of the building has been repainted and this has added to its curb appeal. It has small rooms but th rooms have full kitchens. Ample linens are supplied and if you stay a week, you get fresh linens and towels supplied once during your stay. This unit is located in a quiieter section of the Grand Strand but restaurants, shopping, nightlife, etc. is closeby. This is not a fancy resort but the prices are lower to accomadate for that. Toilet paper etc is supplied by the resort at no charge, as well as paper towels, dish washing liquid, soap, etc. Some of the staff were not all that cozy but I didn't go to the beach to get fuzzy with the staff. Nice pool, hot tub ok, planned activities, discount trips , horseshoes, basketball court, small fitness room, pool table, large activity room, tv, games, discount books, etc. air hockey, bbq griiling pits , free internet center, all in alll nice for the money. Did not go to the beach to spend a fortune or to stay in the room. Would recommend resort for those on a budget, looking for clean no frill ocean front accomadations.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank teeboneholly
Raleigh
Reviewed September 7, 2009

I stayed for Labor Day weekend in a 2BR condo with spouse and 3 kids. This is an older resort with small units, each with full kitchen but no w/d in unit (note, there is coin w/d on premesis). Each unit has a small balcony, with 2 or 3 plastic chairs. All units face the pool and ocean. The building and grounds are basic but adequate. The hallways and stair corridors are dingy concrete and peeling stucco. Our unit had furnishings in good repair, but carpet was showing age and beds and bedding were just so-so. Shower grout was not as clean as I would have liked, but otherwise I did not notice cleaning problems in the unit. We were on 3rd floor and the free internet worked fine from there, I can't speak for the higher floors. Master bath was tiny and there were no shower doors so the floor got wet with just a curtain.

The main attraction here of course is the beach and this hotel is just steps away. We were not there long enough to check out a lot of the other activities. There is an activities staff office, but it was not open on the weekend while we were there. I believe there are activities scheduled for weekdays. There is a large activities room off the main lobby which is accessible all the time. It has some puzzles, books, and board games that guests can borrow or use there at their leisure. This large activities room also has a number of tables and might be nice as a hang-out place if you had a large group with you. It was not much utilized that I could tell. Also, there is an internet room with 2 computers that guests can use for 20 minutes at a time. There are 2 small game rooms with pool tables and air hockey - I think those are $1 per game. There is an outdoor pool (no lifeguard) with baby pool and hot tub, and there is a shuffleboard court.

Main desk seemed moderately friendly, but a bit inflexible. We arrived early for the 4pm check-in, and although I understand that one can not always expect to check in early, the lobby personnel didn't go out of their way at all to help- they said they could not check with the cleaning crew on the status. I actually checked with the cleaning crew myself after a bit, and found out our unit was already cleaned and inspected. At that point, the lobby begrudgingly confirmed and allowed us to check in I requested a rollaway bed, and they charged a nominal $5/night fee for that, but I was surprised that they said they had no possible way to charge that fee to the credit card i checked in on, and I had to go back to the lobby in person to make the arragement. My room was missing a corkscrew and I mentioned it to the cleaning crew personnel in the hallway and it was promptly provided. I did not have any other concerns with maintenance or the front lobby. The lobby personnel did occasionally greet me as we went to and fro.

As others have mentioned, these units are typical of condo rentals in that there is no daily maid service - they will come in once per week for light cleaning and towel exchange. They do provide convenience-size dish liquid, 3 dishwasher packets, hotel-size shampoo/lotion/soaps, 1 roll paper towels, and a coffee packet. If you are staying a full week, you may need more of all of those. There is tons of shopping and restaurants nearby, as well as a lot of activities in the area. We especially enjoyed Basil's pizza and Duffy's seafood shack, both a little dive-ey but excellent food.

I would recommend this resort, but only with the understanding that this is a basic type accomodation for a great laid-back stay at the beach but nothing upscale or special.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family