“OLder resort but clean , smaller rooms, quiet, all rooms ocean front”

Maritime Beach Club
Ranked #27 of 52 Hotels in North Myrtle Beach
Reviewed September 20, 2009

This is an older resort but it is clean and well kept. The front of the building has been repainted and this has added to its curb appeal. It has small rooms but th rooms have full kitchens. Ample linens are supplied and if you stay a week, you get fresh linens and towels supplied once during your stay. This unit is located in a quiieter section of the Grand Strand but restaurants, shopping, nightlife, etc. is closeby. This is not a fancy resort but the prices are lower to accomadate for that. Toilet paper etc is supplied by the resort at no charge, as well as paper towels, dish washing liquid, soap, etc. Some of the staff were not all that cozy but I didn't go to the beach to get fuzzy with the staff. Nice pool, hot tub ok, planned activities, discount trips , horseshoes, basketball court, small fitness room, pool table, large activity room, tv, games, discount books, etc. air hockey, bbq griiling pits , free internet center, all in alll nice for the money. Did not go to the beach to spend a fortune or to stay in the room. Would recommend resort for those on a budget, looking for clean no frill ocean front accomadations.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank teeboneholly

Reviewed September 7, 2009

I stayed for Labor Day weekend in a 2BR condo with spouse and 3 kids. This is an older resort with small units, each with full kitchen but no w/d in unit (note, there is coin w/d on premesis). Each unit has a small balcony, with 2 or 3 plastic chairs. All units face the pool and ocean. The building and grounds are basic but adequate. The hallways and stair corridors are dingy concrete and peeling stucco. Our unit had furnishings in good repair, but carpet was showing age and beds and bedding were just so-so. Shower grout was not as clean as I would have liked, but otherwise I did not notice cleaning problems in the unit. We were on 3rd floor and the free internet worked fine from there, I can't speak for the higher floors. Master bath was tiny and there were no shower doors so the floor got wet with just a curtain.

The main attraction here of course is the beach and this hotel is just steps away. We were not there long enough to check out a lot of the other activities. There is an activities staff office, but it was not open on the weekend while we were there. I believe there are activities scheduled for weekdays. There is a large activities room off the main lobby which is accessible all the time. It has some puzzles, books, and board games that guests can borrow or use there at their leisure. This large activities room also has a number of tables and might be nice as a hang-out place if you had a large group with you. It was not much utilized that I could tell. Also, there is an internet room with 2 computers that guests can use for 20 minutes at a time. There are 2 small game rooms with pool tables and air hockey - I think those are $1 per game. There is an outdoor pool (no lifeguard) with baby pool and hot tub, and there is a shuffleboard court.

Main desk seemed moderately friendly, but a bit inflexible. We arrived early for the 4pm check-in, and although I understand that one can not always expect to check in early, the lobby personnel didn't go out of their way at all to help- they said they could not check with the cleaning crew on the status. I actually checked with the cleaning crew myself after a bit, and found out our unit was already cleaned and inspected. At that point, the lobby begrudgingly confirmed and allowed us to check in I requested a rollaway bed, and they charged a nominal $5/night fee for that, but I was surprised that they said they had no possible way to charge that fee to the credit card i checked in on, and I had to go back to the lobby in person to make the arragement. My room was missing a corkscrew and I mentioned it to the cleaning crew personnel in the hallway and it was promptly provided. I did not have any other concerns with maintenance or the front lobby. The lobby personnel did occasionally greet me as we went to and fro.

As others have mentioned, these units are typical of condo rentals in that there is no daily maid service - they will come in once per week for light cleaning and towel exchange. They do provide convenience-size dish liquid, 3 dishwasher packets, hotel-size shampoo/lotion/soaps, 1 roll paper towels, and a coffee packet. If you are staying a full week, you may need more of all of those. There is tons of shopping and restaurants nearby, as well as a lot of activities in the area. We especially enjoyed Basil's pizza and Duffy's seafood shack, both a little dive-ey but excellent food.

I would recommend this resort, but only with the understanding that this is a basic type accomodation for a great laid-back stay at the beach but nothing upscale or special.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank nc6
Reviewed June 22, 2009

I just got back from a weekend trip to Maritime with my wife. We booked this hotel thinking it was the same one we stayed at years ago (I got mixed up). Either way, we arrived and were disappointed it was not the hotel but decided to try it out. We got in and check-in was extremely fast. We got our keys and our stuff from the car and went to our room. We stayed in a studio. The studio is great for a couple. If you have one child then that would do. But I wouldn’t suggest more people in the studio. It will be too cramped in there.

Some of the reviews mention fines for violations or fees for extra things. After reading those reviews, I took my own towels and my own toilet paper since I knew the ones at the hotel were going to be crappy (no pun intended).

We read the hotel book before doing anything and it states that if there are noise violations, clothes/towels hanging off balconies, extra garbage, remote missing, damage, etc, you will be charged a fee. Kids also have a curfew of 11pm and if they are found without their parents then the parents would be charged a fine. Typical fine is about $25.00 from what I remember.

I looked in the bathroom and it was well stocked with towels. We used our towels for the pool and another set for when we got out of the shower. We used their towels to place on the floor to avoid slipping. The bathroom also had wipes to remove makeup and they also provided soap, lotion and shampoo. They also stocked one roll of toilet paper on the dispenser and had 2 extra rolls.

The kitchen was well stocked with things you may need. It had glass cups, knives, forks, spoons, can openers, toaster, coffee maker (with coffee to make for one or two mornings), blender, etc. They even left us one used roll of paper towel and another brand new one. They also provided dishwashing liquid.

All this at no extra charge.

With all of that, how can one complain about getting charged fees? Take an extra towel or two. If you have a large family then expect to pay an extra fee for towels. If you want to save money then bring your own.

The front desk also provides DVD players for FREE if you want to watch a DVD. The one I got had an HDMI connection (bring your own HDMI cord) and AV jacks. More to follow on why this didn't work out for me.

Pool towels are provided free of charge. You can take as many as you like as well. Only catch is that you cannot take them to the beach or else you get fined, if they find out.
The staff themselves were extremely friendly! They helped suggest a place to eat and answered all our questions when we had any. Our kitchen light blew out and they were at the room within 5 minutes to fix the problem.

Here are a few things that bugged me though:

1) The TV was an old one. It didn't have AV jacks for the DVD player so playing our DVD was out of the question. We ended up using my laptop.
2) The internet connection there sucks. The first two days I was there, the internet did not work. I brought my laptop so I can pay my bills and check on some things and was S.O.L. Finally later on in the 2nd day it was fixed. I was able to connect wirelessly from my hotel room. However, the connection would go down from time to time. During the day the connection is really slow. Late nights and very early mornings are best for good speeds. Also, cell phone signal is extremely poor unless you are outside the building.
3) We have to take out our own trash. Guess this wasn't too big of a deal but I still had to do it. The trash bins are on the side of the building. Good news is that they provide trash bags free of charge. So if you run out, just ask the front desk for more.
4) Our A/C unit didn't work as well as it should have. The first day we got there the curtains were open so the sun had been hitting the room all day and even with the A/C on, it was pretty hot. We closed the curtains and left them closed the entire time we were there. The A/C got cool at points but it finally worked real good on our last night there. It was so cold I actually covered myself with a blanket.
5) The most annoying thing I had to deal with and there was no work around to it. was the shower. Our bathroom had a shower that you had to step up into. Anyone that is 6ft or taller would of really had an issue taking a shower. I'm 5'11 and my head was about 3in from touching the ceiling. Not sure if every room is like this though.
6) The fan in the bathroom blew the air INTO the bathroom instead of pulling it out. It was also very weak. So we had to shower with the door open so it wouldn't steam up so much in there.
7) Parking can be a pain if you come back late. If you have a handicap plate or placard, then be forewarned that those spots will disappear quick!

**Warnings/Suggestions:
1) If you plan on going to the beach, bring your own umbrella and beach chairs. They have some there but you have to rent the combo which is 2 chairs and an umbrella for $25.00 (for the day, 8am to 4pm). It can get expensive if you go to the beach alot.
2) Bring LOTS of sunblock! My SPF 85 didn't even work!! I still got burned!! Then again, with the heat index it was 105 degrees on Friday and 110 degrees on Saturday.
3) There will be kids there. If you hate kids or don't feel like dealing with them then this place is not for you. The kids do get in the way when you're at the pool. I'm not sure how many cannon balls a kid can do before getting tired. And I'm not sure how many kids I've seen slip and bust their head cause they were running around the pool.
4) If you can buy your own food and cook it, then do it!!! The restaurants have HUGE lines!! Not only will you save money but you'll save the time of sitting in line for 30+minutes. However, bring your own pans, I didn’t see any in the kitchen.
5) Avoid Food Lion on Rt. 17! I bought a 6 pack of beer and it smelled like garbage when I went to drink it. I had to dump all the bottles! My wife bought juice and only realized it expired over 10 days ago!!
6) Checkout Barefoot Landing. They got some nice little stores. STAY AWAY FROM THE VISITOR INFORMATION CENTERS UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET TALKED INTO GOING TO THEIR MEETINGS FOR TIMESHARES IN EXCHANGE FOR FREE MOVIE TIX OR MONEY!!!! Visit Wee R Sweets!! They have the best taffy! And if you go while they're packing them, they'll throw wrapped taffy to the customers as samples. Pretty cool.
7) Checkout Broadway at the Beach. They have rides for kids, restaurants, stores, putt putt, etc. This place is bigger than Barefoot but some of their stores are identical. Broadway also has clubs.
8) If you have time, checkout Ella's in Calabash North Carolina. A 15min drive from Maritime. Take Rt. 17N and follow that all the way through Little River. You will then turn onto Rt. 179. At the 2nd light make a right and Ella's is halfway down. They had the best seafood I ever had. Hushpuppies with Honey Butter are to die for as well!!! (just don't eat too many or else you won't finish your food, take my word on this..lol). This was suggested to me by 3 different people. Two from the hotel and the lady from the ABC store.
9) Checkout Coconuts Tiki Bar for a quick lunch or drink. Their prices are very resonable and the food is pretty good. I liked it there so much that I hate lunch there everyday I was there. However, this is not a full bar location.

Other than that, I would go back in a heart beat. At least I’d be more prepared when it comes to food and supplies (beach chairs and umbrella, extra sunscreen, etc)

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank WillR96
Reviewed May 2, 2009

We left early, we were so unhappy with the Maritime Beach Club. It is under construction. The place looks straight out of the 80's and the renovations they are making seem to be cosmetic. They would have to gut the place to really make a difference. A few mornings we woke up to men working on the bulding outside our balcony doors (Which there was a sign that we were not to open)The staff was is not customer focused, everything in the room was cheap appliances, bedding, TV, furniture. We were so fed up that we cut our vacation short and left a few days early. I used to be a flight attendent and have stayed at all kinds of places, this one has to be one of the worst.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank SC_chuckie
Reviewed April 26, 2009

After reading the previous review, I had to comment. I feel very bad for the people who had such a horrible stay, but it sure doesn't sound like the place we stayed. We, too, booked through RCI and had a very different experience. The staff was very friendly and we did not get charged for anything like toilet paper or remote control position. Honestly, if I didn't want to have to pay for toilet paper from the resort, I would just hit Wal-Mart and let it go. I do remember there not being much of a towel exchange, but since it was the beach, we always take plenty of beach towels anyway, so I guess we didn't really care about that. None of these things seems to me to be a big enough deal to let it spoil my whole vacation.

We stayed in a 1BR (my husband, myself and our 7 year old son) and granted, it was extremely small, but we did not go there to hang out in the room. The beach was fabulous and well taken care of. The hotel itself is a little dated, but I'm sure it is difficult to keep everything pristine when people are tracking sand all over 365 days a year. We did eat at Coconuts (the on-site restaurant) one night, and although it did seem a little overpriced (who cares? it's vacation for crying' out loud!), it was fun to eat and drink and watch the ocean.

All in all, we had a great time. There is so much to do in Myrtle Beach, but we could not get our son out of the water and off the beach long enough to do much, so we ended up buying a timeshare there and will return for years to come. We also own timeshares in Orlando and San Diego and feel that Maritime is a great addition to our collection.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank addicted2travelIowa
Reviewed August 22, 2008

Our family stayed as a guest at the Martime Beach Club. My parents have timeshares and were able to exchange one for us. This was the worse place we have ever stayed at. They even charge for toilet paper, paper towels and dish detergent for the dishwasher. It wasn't until we threatened to write a bad review, that they finally gave us things at NO CHARGE!! We were there for a week (Saturday to Saturday). Our room had 6 towels and wash clothes. They would only exchange them on Wednesday's or you could pay $5.00 for 6 towels. I decided to wash them in there washers and dryers. It was a waste of my time. The towels were in the dryer for 45 minutes and were still as wet as when I put them in. After complaining to the front desk, they exchanged them at no charge. Also, if you decide to stay here be sure you read there book in the room. They are full of charges. No towels hanging from the balcony or you are charged $25.00. If you don't leave the remote on the TV when you leave another $25.00. Wednesday was suppose to be "light cleaning" and to exchange towels. We came back Wednesday evening to find clean towels but the bed wasn't made, no vacuuming or mopping. We had to complain before this was done. The whole time we were there something was wrong. I have never stayed at a place like this through RCI. They have the best hotels ever. This surely wasn't one of them. My son and I even spoked to the management about there problems. She stated, "This is what the board decided the charges would be and the staff has to follow them. I know some people write wonderful reviews but trust me you will want to stay somewhere else!! Everybody was complaining about something.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank tatortot51
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Great stay! Maritime Beach Club is an older building, however, the interior was newly remodeled. It was very clean and we had no maintenance issues. We had a 2 bedroom with 2 baths. The bedrooms are small but there were only 3 of us. There is one large pool, a kids' pool, and a hot tub. The activities coordinator was nice an helpful and all of the staff we encountered were great! Fantastic view from the beach was less crowded than other areas we've stayed.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family