“All about Fishing”

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 182 helpful votes
“All about Fishing”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I f you are big into fishing this is the place for you if you are in the area. You can rent fishing poles and get bait if you don't have your own rods. I was with some friends from work and we wanted to see if anyone was catching any fish before we rented rods so we were charged $2 each just to walk out onto the pier. We were hesitant but paid anyways. At that time no one was catching any fish but they all had good stories to tell basically saying it was not the norm. Apart from fishing there was a nice breeze and it makes for a nice relaxing walk then sitting around at the end of the pier on the benches.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank 247HardWorker

Brockville, Canada
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“excellent day of fun for all ages”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

pay one price and you get unlimited day access to the pier a fishing rod and bait.
kids loved it said it was the best part of myrtle beach !

Visited March 2011
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Taking Advantage”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I have visited the Cherry Grove Pier every year I have been to the Myrtle Beach area for as long as I can remember. Before the new hotels and condos began to move into the North Myrtle/Cherry Grove area, the beaches were often much less crowded or nearly empty providing a quieter, more serene setting. With the new mega properties moving in, the beaches are often as full as they are in Myrtle. This is no big deal to me, and really not the pier's fault, but it does change the atmosphere. This pier is one of the longer ones along the strand and has a second story gazebo-type structure at the end for better views and shade. We've always stopped by when in the area, and strolled along the boardwalk to see what people were catching or just to enjoy the view. It's not uncommon to see dolphins or other see life when out on the pier, either. Like many of the piers on the Grand Strand, Cherry Grove began charging a walking fee a few years ago (its now about $1.50). The newest annoyance is one that is enforced by the Prince Resort, the large hotel recently built at the foot of the pier. I'm not sure if the hotel owns the pier or just the land surrounding it, but they have begun to charge a $5 fee to park in the lot that has always served as the pier's parking lot. I'm not really sure why they'd do this, but the parking lot (and pier for that matter) was empty. This is really frustrating to me. There is a dirt lot about a block south of the pier lot that is marked neither as public or private, but it was full of cars and I was told it was public. We parked there and walked to the pier (the walk really wasn't that much longer), and had no trouble as far as parking tickets or anything. I really can't help but feel that the walking fee and the new parking fee are attempts to squeeze money out of those visiting either to fish or walk. Pier fees are on thing, but the parking cost really bothers me.
The pier its self is like many in the area..it has a small 'gift' shop with some souvenirs and fishing gear and a concession stand outside that sells the typical beach fair.
Fishers: I've never fished off of the pier, but in the past it has stayed full, so they must have some luck. as far as cost and fees to fish, I'd check the website.

Visited August 2011