“Thank God! A real Asian restaurant (and NOT a buffet!)”
Review of Jay's Asian Fusion - CLOSED

Jay's Asian Fusion
Cuisines: Asian
NH
“Thank God! A real Asian restaurant (and NOT a buffet!)”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is our 4th winter in the Myrtle Beach/North Myrtle Beach area, and have really been struggling to find some Asian fare that is not a buffet. At first we were somewhat enjoying some of the buffets (until recently when we felt ill afterwards). Driving down Route 17 in North Myrtle Beach, right at the 33rd South light, we noticed the sign for Asian Fusion.

I am so glad we decided to stop in! If a group of people who enjoy different types of Asian cuisine cannot find something they would enjoy on this menu, then I really believe there's nothing that would please them.

The interior is VERY pleasing - decorated in a bistro style. Excellent atmosphere. Even though we were there for lunch, it appeared to us that this would be a nice place to go after work for a few drinks.

First of all, there is Chinese, Thai, and Japanese selections - and sushi. Now, I'm not a sushi lover, but there are at least 30 choices. We made the decision that my husband John's older brother who really enjoys sushi would enjoy trying this place.

We both started with the Chinese Hot & Sour Soup which was as good as nearly any I've had. And for $4, it was a LARGE bowl. We both really enjoyed it.

John, had a lunch special off the Thai selection: "Sambal Chicken" which I tried as well. It was delicious! John's only complaint was that the serving size could have been a little larger, and he liked the sauce so much, he wished there was a little more on the plate.

I chose the Hunan Beef from the Chinese lunch menu, and it was excellent. The beef was very tender, and the serving was plentiful, with fresh, tasty veggies. My plate did have a little more on it than John's. Fine with me! (I did share some with John, who also gave it a thumbs up.)

We happened to be there during a lunch special, where our 2nd lunch was 50% off, so our entire bill (including tip) was $24. Hard to beat that for a really nice lunch.

Chinese entrees (not even lunch specials) are $9 - $10 or so; with chef specials from $12 - $16. The lunch specials are about $6 - same for the Thai lunch specials ($7 or so). The Lunch Bento Box specials are about $9. Thai entrees are about $11 - 17 for their most expensive one ("Drunken Salmon"). There really is so much on this menu it's kind of hard for me to list it all.

We noticed a few other people coming in who appear to be regulars - so that's a good sign. Our server (I think his name is Peter) was very helpful, and talked about the quality of food with us. They DO use some MSG, but will gladly leave it out on request.

We were tempted to try the "Lunch Bento Box" which is served w/ Miso Soup, salad a California Roll and appetizer. The choices were tempting for us - Chicken Teriyaki & Hibachi; Beef Teriyaki & Hibachi; Salmon or Shrimp Teriyaki (and Hibachi) or something called Beef Negima. Maybe next time! (But I'd be hard pressed to forego my hot & sour soup!)

Now, we did see another review mentioning that the rest room was dirty. While I didn't use the ladies room, evidently the report about the men's room is correct. Next time we go in, we actually WILL mention this to them, since I think we're going to be on pretty neighborly terms. We owe it to them to let them know about this...

Now, we don't have kids with us, so I can't speak to that - but if you do have children, there are some pretty standard Chinese items that they might like such as "chicken fingers" or "Chicken Nuggets" on the Chinese appetizer menu. Unfortunately, I didn't think to look for a kid-friendly menu.

All in all, we will most definitely be bringing friends to this restaurant, and for the remainder of our stay here (through April) this is THE Asian restaurant for us.

I'll write a lot more about this one and take my camera next time and add this to my website for sure.

I hope this helps anyone visiting - And I hope this restaurant sticks around!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank AbundantOne

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“No fortune cookie...”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

...or pineapple at the end of our meal!!?? I think this was a first for us at any Chinese restaurant. Otherwise our experience was a good one.
The restaurant is small and clean. I think there were about 9 booths and a couple of tables in one dining area and another few booths and tables in another room. The food was good and the presentation was the best I have ever seen at a Chinese restaurant. The staff was very friendly. I was surprised to read a negative review about the staff being rude.
Probably the worst part of my experience was the men's room. It was dirty, especially the door. It looks like every construction worker in the area has touched the door without washing their hands.
Wish we got fortune cookies and or pineapple...

• Visited December 2012
North Augusta, South Carolina
“Delicious”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

If you like sushi, you must try Jay's. The sushi was sooooo good, and seemed really fresh. This was a real value, which is something hard to come by in Myrtle Beach.

Visited November 2012
Greenville, North Carolina
“Great Fresh Sashimi”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

1 st time at the place and the food,service and pricing was very good . Highly recommend this quiet place in a little strip mall before all the chaos in NMB

• Visited November 2012
Conway, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very good food”
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

I love this place . We go a couple times a week . They have Asian, Thai, and Chinese . They have a great lunch special but one get one half off . I can't say enough good things about this place.