“Review”
Review of The Pelican Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in North Myrtle Beach
The Pelican Motel
Georgetown, Texas
“Review”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband and & I stayed at this motel 7-19-12 - 7-22-12. I had read several reviews about how awful this place was. I did not find that to be true. It looked a little rough on the outside, it is an older motel located on the beach, but the room was clean and updated. It was located on the second floor with a view of the ocean. The bed was comfortable and I found no bugs. The cleaning personel was great. We didn't need our room cleaned with just the two of us, and they happily gave us clean towels and extra coffee. This was a no frills place, but it wasn't like we were there to stay in the room. There was a bar, restuarant and grocery store next door. The parking left a little to be desired, but overall, I'd stay there again.
My nephew and his wife stayed three or four rooms down from us and their was nice too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank tjlmrl_12

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
North Carolina, United States
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I have not been to the beach in 10 years, as I am older now and have children did not want to be right in the middle of the commercialization of the beach. We stayed here as we were told it was a quaint place and a good price...... My mother payed for us to go down, me her my sister in law and our three children we were all very excited as it was our babies who are 5 2 and 3 first time at the beach. We got into the room that my mother was told was OCEAN VIEW and all we saw were stairs. We figured hey its ok we are at the beach and thats all that matters. We took the kids out to the beach and the pool. The kiddie pool had stuff floating in it, food wrappers and such, sooooo I had plenty of floats and decided it was ok that we would have all the children in the big pool. Later that night we are sitting in the room discussing what we were going to make for dinner, and we saw a roach scurry across the countertop........ definitely not encouraging. The bathroom was GROSS the tub was rusted and the floor was nasty we had a potty issue with my 2 year old as he is potty training and missed the potty so when we called and asked for a mop so we could clean it up the lady told us to dry it up with a towel and set it outside and she would come get it. The phone did not work when we called the front desk to see what was up she said oh well we have been having phone issues today. The room was WAY TOOO small for all of us, and then the icing on the cake was when i called some friends from our hometown who were also at the beach at the PRINCE RESORT and found out that we were paying almost equal than they were for the same amount of time. Upon a visit to the prince lets just say thats where i will putting my business next chance i get to go to the beach. My mom was def given a bad deal with this hotel and she was to nice to say anything about any of it.

Room Tip: read reviews of all choices!!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Tamara112

Travelers are raving about these North Myrtle Beach hotels

Reviewed October 20, 2011

Myself, my wife 2 young daughters, mother in law and mentally handicapped aunt traveled up to my wifes other aunts wedding from NW Florida. The Bride to be had booked the motel for us online and paid the deposit because the pictures online looked very nice..needless to say the pics are VERY decieving. We drove up from northwest florida, a 12 hour drive expecting to arrive a nice descent motel. Upon entry to the lobby, you are greated with a horrendous smell of cigarette smoke,the tracking system is a dry erase bored for who has a room and who doesnt. After you recieve your key..yes i said key, they instruct you that you can park in one of two places. Parking lot one you are instructed to go out in the street and there is a tiny drive through...you drive through the ground level of the motel to a small parking lot...my guess holds about 16 vehicles, if your in a full size pickup or moderate size SUV its a squeeze and they instruct you to have a guide when pulling out due to its a blind driveway right out into the highway. The other parking lot is across the street in the grocery store parking lot. Once we got the parking lot situation handled we headed up to our rooms, had two of them and both were on the 3rd floor. My wife and i were fine, but the inlaws had a hard time going up and down the stairs, so I went and requested them a ground room, they got moved to the second floor. So they still had to go down 1 flight of stairs. I unlocked the door,althought it felt like i could put my shoulder into it and forced it open we got in the room.You have to remember to lock the door upon leaving cause they do not auto lock like most modern motels The entire room was damp, the carpet was flat out wet, and there was adjoining doors to the next room. i opened the door, to check and make sure the other door was secure and there was mold all the way around the door jam. I went down once again and complained about the mold and everything being wet, the man at the desk told me they didnt have another room and that it was south carolina and they have high humidity...humidity???? Im from NW florida where we have heat index of 115 with 100% humidity..common. So i went back to our room. The first night was horrible, the mattress felt like you were sleeping on a sheet thrown over springs, luckily we brought our pillows from home cause you might as well not had one. The website also fails to mention the fire station thats about 3 or 4 blocks away so sirens are going all night long. It also seemed like the creatures of the night came out after 9 pm. If I didnt have my CCW i wouldnt have felt secure having my family here. So the next morning we showered,which i feel was designed for a dwarf, Im 5'11 and the shower head was in my chest. After a day of visiting with the family,we came back and our room had not been cleaned and no fresh towels, which there was only two to begin with, i asked the lady for some towels and she informed me that the towels were not inteded for beach or pool use, I told her we had not been to niether and that there was four of us. My wife and i talked it over and were decided to stay somewhere else, however we had prepaid for the stay before checking the place out and they do not give refunds, so we were stuck. None of the rooms are furnished the same, ours did have a small kitchen with a stove microwave and fridge, but all of it was severely outdated. There are two pools on the premises, a large family pool and then a small one for the kiddies, both of them had half of the beach in them. The ONLY compliments i have is the place is cheap, but i guess you get what you pay for. The motel is RIGHT on the beach,but being from the emerald coast, that didnt impress us. The location is great, there is a nice grocery store and a great pizza joint accross the street. I understand the place is privately owned and operated, but its seen its better years, I wonder if its still standing after Irene. As a professional firefighter of 14 years i feel like this place is a fire trap and needs to be condemned. Take you money and stay somewhere else,if yiou insist on staying here try to check out a few rooms before you stay.

Room Tip: look before you leap
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank FloridaFamily32433
Saint Clairsville, Ohio
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We have been coming here the last 4 yrs. and yes we do plan on coming back in 2012. It's old and does need some upgrades, but it is clean and the staff are incredible, always asking if you need anything. The view is awesome, afterall we didn't come to sit around in a fancy apartment.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LisaBrent202
Reviewed May 22, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the pelican on 5/7 to5/14. We were very happy with our room and the location and service.We think it is a great bargain.We would stay again and recomend it to others.Mr. and Mrs.Johnson.

• Stayed May 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 18, 2011

The motel is located in a great location and the staff members are nice. The rooms were simply okay. They never smelt fresh. We stayed 4 days and the bathrooms never got a detailed cleaning. We had to ask for towels because the ones left were so thin you could see through them. Everything is terribly worn in the rooms and the outside. We have stayed here in the pass for over 5 years for our spring breaks but now we will have to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank diamonds0163
Seneca, South Carolina
Reviewed October 1, 2010

We booked 2 rooms for the weekend, let's just say the place was a real dump, the kitchen looks like it was removed from a 1920's camper, the door and locks are rusted, watch out for the bump in hallway, and oh the crow birds in the pool and all around it I bet that's sanitary, I wish I took a picture of that! We left Saturday and checked into a new place that was a mansion compared to The Pelican!! We couldn't get a refund for Saturday but losing the $ was worth not spending another second more in that dive of a motel! Great location but limited parking!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family