“Did not live up to expectations.”

North Beach Plantation
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Did not live up to expectations.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

NBP was recommended by a friend of ours with the same standards when it comes to traveling so we had confidence in the property. However, after paying close attention to Trip Advisor, I could tell the property was having some recent issues.

We made our reservations several months in advance and I requested a quiet location away from the elevator. The morning of our expected arrival, I called to confirm this request and was reassured it would not be a problem. When we got our room keys, they said the room was in between two sets of elevators...perfect! Not even close. When the bellman stopped, I literally said, "Are you serious?" It was "directly" across from an elevator. With a finicky toddler who is sensitive to noise this was going to be a disaster considering his room was in the front. I immediately called the front desk and they said they were completely booked and there was nothing they could do but maybe move us midweek. That was not an option after we were settled in for three days. I was told a manager would call us and it took three days and I finally called and tracked one down. I felt deceived and that was not a great way to start the trip.

However, our particular unit (3 bed/bath) was decorated beautifully. However, the accommodations were tempered by the amount of dust everywhere. It appeared the unit had not had a good cleaning in quite a while. The carpet was in desperate need of being replaced but other than that it was very nicely appointed. I have a feeling they do quick cleanings in between rentals and more thorough when the owners arrive. Also, the beds are not comfortable.

The property itself is very nice. We enjoyed the abundance of pools. We did have lunch at the pool and it was subpar and don't expect a refill or good service. They also charged 50 cents for about 6 oz of water. Really? Not a big deal but just felt very cheap. However, the breakfast at the hotel was good and had a nice selection.

The other issue (that may or may not be an issue for others) is that people set off fireworks from 9-11pm on the beach in front of the property. They set them off each night of our trip. Obnoxious when you have sleeping children.

All in all this is a nice option but lacks the quality of service that we are accustomed to.

Room Tip: The parking garage is attached to the Indigo tower so if you are traveling with children this makes...
6 Thank Deenie1230

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
Concord, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Beautiful hotel. Nice views. Great beach and pool. Loved the covered lazy river. Gated entrance. Each villa is furnished differently - the first time we were pleased. We came back a second time with friends, not enough seating for all of us.

Some issues - smelly trash found in the room upon check in - there was no where to put it so we put it in the little trash can by the elevator and it stayed smelly in the hallway for days - it was never removed by staff. Stains on the carpet. Minimal furnishing

Room Tip: Always call ahead to discuss unit
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Cdiamondz
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I wanted to give North Beach 5 stars, I truly did. There were some glaring issues that prevented it though.
First, the positives: the pool area is fantastic! Plenty of pools for children, an adults only pool (yes, the bar drinks are a bit expensive), plenty of chairs.
We had a view down to Myrtle Beach and were able to see fireworks. Truly a wonderful view. The beach here is excellent and the little inlet is great at low tide.

The negatives: The floor plan isn't that great. Widows to the hall in two bedrooms. It isn't bad, just not that great. Furnishings vary depending on the unit, so you don't know what you will get until you arrive.
Housekeeping. Oh housekeeping. Here is the huge issue I had with our stay. When we checked in, I found a solo cup full of cigarette butts and alcohol. It smelled horrible and would have been easy to find had housekeeping bothered to look onto the balcony. When I went to take a shower, I found an empty razor cartridge case. Seriously? How was that left in the shower if it was cleaned AT ALL. To top things off, the amount of dust on the ceiling fan in the master bedroom was horrible. We were afraid to turn it on, less a cloud of dirt and dust rain upon our heads. The carpet was also fairly stained in many places. It just didn't look clean.

The other issue we had: prior to arrival I spoke with a representative who assured me that a crib would be in our room upon arrival. At check-in (3:30), I was assured that one was in the room and that, if it wasn't, I could simply call down and one would be brought up. We got to the room and there was no crib. I called down immediately. It took a total of 5 calls between 3:45 and 9pm for a crib to finally arrive (around 9:15 pm). There is truly no excuse for this, as there is no excuse for the lapse in housekeeping.

The property itself is so wonderful, I truly wanted to give this resort 5 stars but due to the reasons listed above, I simply couldnt.

Room Tip: Ask for Indigo tower. You will get good views from both towers but Indigo will let you see down to...
4 Thank trvlbug81
Wilson, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was our fifth stay at the North Beach Plantation in the last 2-1/2 years. It is a beautiful place for fun and/or relaxation. We have stayed in both the Charleston (5 bedrooms, 4-1/2 baths) and Palmetto (4 bedrooms and 3-1/2 baths) units. All the units are beautifully furnished. We had a total of 9 adults and 5 children and stayed in a Charleston unit in our visit in August.

For our visit in August we had to make some adjustments to our original reservation, and Lisa Allen in the reservation department was extremely helpful, and she took care of the changes we requested. She was really great to work with.

The outdoor pools, hot tubs, and swim-up bar are great, and they also have a Lazy River, hot tub, and a regular pool indoors. Our first stay was in January 2011, and the heated indoor pool, hot tub and Lazy River were wonderful.

They have a breakfast buffet in the mornings with a very good selection of food. The 21 Main Restaurant also has excellent food with superb, first class service.

The North Beach Plantation is located directly across from Barefoot Landing which is full of shops, restaurants, and other activities.

We highly recommend the North Beach Plantation.

2 Thank MB_and_Dave
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

This place is great. Pool area is awesome, and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. We went with our 2 children 10& 13. They had a fun time going from pool to pool. There was music (live) playing most of the time on the pool deck and swim up Bar. There was also a indoor pool and lazy river. And for the younger kids they had crafts throughout the day by the pool. We stayed in the oceanfront condos the views were amazing. The condo had a full kitchen, dining area and was very clean. Housekeeping only does trash and towels during your stay. Which was not a big deal to us. The beach area wasn't to over crowded , just wish they had a volleyball on the beach. The only problem we had was with our doorbell was constantly ringing in the morning. It was a wiring problem with the condo upstairs which they resolved. We definitely stay here again!

1 Thank bobo82
NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We have tried a few different MB accommodations over the past few years and were about to give up on MB completely as we have had issues with places not being kept up well and have been disappointed in the past. We were so excited to discover North Beach Plantation, the staff is friendly, the pool area is immaculate and the 3 bedroom condo we stayed in was very well kept. The only criticism we have is that we do wish the beach was kept a bit cleaner (not sure if this is resort or city responsibility) and would have liked to see a lifeguard stationed there throughout the day. That being said, this will be our go-to resort for a nearby beach getaway.

Room Tip: We liked the view from the Jasmine tower.
Pomeroy, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Just got back from NBP and this was my third trip there. The first two years were near perfect somewhat bad service year 2. Now year 3 service has just gotten worse. First day check in was a nightmare and had to check four times to see if our room was finally ready and at near 5:00 our room was still not ready and they eventually just gave us a penthouse which was nice. But upon check in they asked if I had ever been there before and this was my third year. I stay in nice hotels for service and loyalty to the customer for I am a business owner myself and to pay a premium dollar and have them not welcome me back but me off a little. That was not the only problem as noted by another complaint not being able to charge to the room is a problem because who carries money in a pool. They have a lifeguard there who is a woman with a round hat she tried to kill one of my friends kids by taking his insulin medication because it was in a cooler. Also she then continued to blow the whistle at my child when he stepped into the adult pool just to go get a drink with me carrying him. I understood there was no kids allowed so I was ok with just getting out when I look around and there are teenagers sitting around the table with their parents but they didn't get the whistle blown at them. The last day I went to check out and was at the desk when they told me I owed them for long distance calls. I asked why and they said you placed 19 calls and I told them I had just ordered pizza from the hotel phone and the woman had to walk away multiple times before finally just disappearing and letting me deal with someone else (Joey thanks for your help) who helped me discover the calls were to New Jersey and I am from Ohio so he had it removed from my bill but not after 45 minutes of waiting. I have been a big fan of NBP and told everybody they should stay there because I had really enjoyed myself previous years but I now I will tell everybody to stay away for overpriced bad service. All I can say is I hope you read this and improve because you need to fix your customer service.

13 Thank Chase P
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Myrtle Beach
Avista Resort
Avista Resort
#5 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,159 reviews
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach Resort
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,409 reviews
Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
#5 of 207 in Myrtle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,653 reviews
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Ce...
#6 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,213 reviews
The Prince Resort
The Prince Resort
#4 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes

Been to North Beach Plantation? Share your experiences!