“Awesome resort but wifi severely lacking”

North Beach Plantation
Charleston, West Virginia
“Awesome resort but wifi severely lacking”
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

We just returned home today after a week of vacation at the North Beach Plantation. It was a wonderful experience. Several different pools, most heated, indoor and out. Great views of the ocean whether you are in Jasmine (oceanfront) or Indigo (western facing towards Skywheel). Parking is sufficient and secure. The units are well furnished and the balconies are spacious. All units are non-smoking but smoking is permitted on fore mentioned balconies. Just a short drive down the street and you find yourself directly at the entrance to barefoot landing. Also, you don't have to go far should you want to take a banana boat ride; they set up shop directly on the beachfront in front of the resort. The only complaint I have, which caused me to rate this resort a 4 instead of a 5 is, while advertising free wifi for the towers, it is sorely lacking. There did not appear to be a sweet spot in any sense. I had some work to be done while at the resort and had to go to the lobby several blocks away to use their more reliable Internet connection. So if you are on your phone, save up that data for this trip. Otherwise it was a truly great experience and we will be back.....though I do hope they fix the wifi by next year!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Travis G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (737)
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the North Beach Plantation. We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo on the 16th floor of the Jasmine Tower. Awesome view of the ocean from both balconies.
My only suggestion would be to upgrade the coffee bar.
We will be making plans to get more of our family together and rent a larger condo next time.
Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank David C
Greenville
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I had visited the property last year and was considering purchasing a unit for rental primarily but didn't get back to task. This year I went and stayed in one of the units (Hampton) in the tower. The condo appeared new in the rental program. Each of the units may have different decorating styles depending on the owner, however all must maintain a standard to be included in the program. The furnishings were comfortable as well as the beds. We had a king size bed in the master and two queens in the additional bedroom. The additional bedroom was en-suite as well as sharing double duty as the hall/guest bath. The kitchen was well equipped, however it didn't have and ice cream scoop for this ice cream lover.:( This is a minor point but humorous to me. the indoor pool and river pool were heated as well as the outdoor pools. The hot tubs have various temperatures depending on what temp a person wishes ie hot but not too hot, or at the higher temps according to SC law. The kids would have a good time in the outdoor pool, especially the zero entry one. The swim up bar is a nice addition for a mainland condo complex. There are also homes available for rent, however we wanted beachfront and we got it with the towers.The views of the coastline were great from one tower and the other tower was totally water view. Either tower would be appealing. I would return again in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Greg H
Westerville
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife kids And I stayed at NBP for the week. The resort is clean and is very nice. I read some reviews where people critisized the life guards, I question that they are life guards. They can be rude. I had just walked through the gate and one of them told me I couldn't have a cooler in the pool area, I was going to the beach. I felt like I was being attacked. I don't think I would stay here again, there are to many choices of places to stay. We have stayed at other places as nice.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Hapyjack
BROCKTON, MASS.
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed here with 9 other golfers for 5 days the week of April 22, 2013. Stayed in two condos on the 12 th floor of the twin towers with great views of the ocean and beach. Used hot tubs at the pool and walked the beach. Condos were very nice and comfortable. buffet breakfast in morning was hot and plentiful. Service was great. Nice gym.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Meridian, Idaho
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stayed in Plantation Villa #8 for 2 nights. The town home was gorgeous. We were slightly surprised to discover that the town home is owned by a family and rented out by the company, but it was a nice home. Ours had a bedroom downstairs with 2 queen beds and a full bath, with the master room upstairs with a nice bathroom that had a tiled shower. The beds were pretty comfortable, though the sheets were kind of scratchy.

Our package included 2 breakfast certificates each day, even though there were 3 people on our reservation. The breakfast was great each day.

The pool area at the main resort was great!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My husband and I visit N. Myrtle Beach every year but this was our first stay at North Beach Plantation and I must say we loved it! We stayed in the Jasmine Tower, 19th floor (when viewing the main property advertising photo, this is the street-side view. Jasmine is the tower on the right, Indigo the tower on the left). The staff terms this a 'V' formation with all condos oceanfront. However, just so you know, the "V" is not parallel to the ocean and therefore a bit misleading -- Jasmine Tower is truly ocean front and Indigo is at a 90 degree angle to it with its balconies looking along the coast line toward M. Beach. In other words, Indigo is not oceanfront in the traditional sense of the word. To some past reviewers, this seemed a bit of a surprise.
In addition to the towers there are separate homes and cottages available for rent but they are not oceanside. These are at the front of the property near the entrance. Which by the way, is where you check in. Also located toward the front of the property is a fine dining restaurant, spa and workout room. None of which are particularly close to the Towers. Parking was plentiful in April, not sure that will be the case in mid-season. However, shuttle service is advertised. There is a parking deck on the Indigo side with a catwalk adjoining the 2 towers on Level 3. Also on Level 3 is a breakfast cafe and newly opened bar. Did not try either so can't speak to these.
We stayed in the one bedroom Southport. Marble counter tops in the bath and kitchen, Jacuzzi tub and separate tiled shower, large dining room and adjoining living room. All in all, very elegant and spacious, yet warm and inviting.
The outside pool area is huge with 5 or 6 separate pools including a swim-up bar. Since we were there in April there were plenty of pool chairs but I imagine in peak season this place is a zoo. The chairs are lined up close and tight in an attempt, I suspect, to supply as many as possible. If you're claustrophobic, might want to head to the beach.
And finally, the location of the property is perfect. Directly across from Barefoot Landing.

As a side note, keep in mind these are condo/rental properties and not a hotel (despite TripAdvisor listing it as such). So no room service and maid service is minimal during your stay (fresh towels and trash pickup only).

In short, North Beach Plantation can't be beat. Wish we could afford to buy one, but since we can't, we will visit as often as we can.

Room Tip: Recommend Jasmine Towers for true oceanfront balconies.