“Will satisfy family members of all ages.”

North Beach Plantation
nutley, nj
“Will satisfy family members of all ages.”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I hate to even write this review. I don't want others to catch on to this place and drive the price up. BUT, it was the best place I have ever stayed at on a beach vacation, with the exception of the Ritz Kapalua on my honeymoon. I traveled with my husband, 4 children (aged 3 mos, 2, 8 and 6, and my parents (in their 60's).
First: The Rooms. Unbelievably well appointed, decorated and spacious. I had a two bedroom two bath condo. The bathroom was spacious and so was the living room and dining area. My parents and the two kids shared one room, and we and the babies shared the other room. They will deliver a pack and play or/and crib. The balcony had two lounge chairs, two regular chairs and a nice eating table with 4 other chairs. That is how big the balcony is. The beds were very comfy. My dad had to work most of the week while he was there and the wi-fi connection was very good. He set up on the dining room table.
It was clean, towels and trash were delivered and taken away, daily. I had groceries delivered to the room and they were set up in the fridge when I arrived. The kitchen was granite and wood and very clean. The stove was 5 burner! ( I cooked a lot). They had a laundry in the room which is great for a family of 6.

Second: The pools. Great. Numerous. Some were as low as 6 inches others went to five feet. There was a sandy play area, indoor lazy river with chess/checkers games as well as a children's activities that go on in this area. My kids enjoyed the crafts.
The bar makes good drinks and I thought the grill there was fairly price for a resort. The drinks were cheap for a resort.

Third: The beach. It is right there. A few steps off the pool deck and it is beautiful.. There is an inlet near there were you can get really nice shells during low tide. I really enjoyed it. The view from our balcony was great too.

Fourth: It is right across from Barefoot Landing. On the downside, it is 15 minutes or so from Broadway at the Beach.

All in all, I thought it was a one of a kind resort on the Atlantic coast. Great for families, Coming from NJ and the expensive motels here (that are generally crappy), this was an unbelievable value for the money.

6 Thank Barbara B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (726)
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We decided to try this resort out for a short weekend, before determining whether to book here for our longer summer vacation. This is an absolutely beautiful resort. When we arrived at 3:40pm, our room was ready and check-in was very fast. We were amazed with the beauty of our 3 bedroom. We stayed in room 1108 in the Indigo Tower. The hallways are all carpeted and are covered, rather than outside like many resorts. The front doors to the rooms were beautiful wood and the room even had a doorbell. The room was immaculately clean. No build-up or grime was anywhere to be seen. All rooms had large flat-screen televisions. The rooms were extremely well-decorated and spacious. Two of the rooms had private bathrooms. The showers had glass doors, which were wonderful, as many places we stayed before had grime and mold on shower curtains. The room had several closets and all were very large in size. The kitchen and bathrooms had beautiful granite countertops. All appliances in the kitchen appeared to be new and were spotless. The beds were large and comfortable and the bedding was very nice. The balcony was huge and had a large table with four chairs, two additional sitting chairs and two lounge chairs.

We changed clothes and went to the pools. They were spectacular! There were several kiddie pools, an area with sprinklers, a sandbox area, a life-size (child's size) chess set and checkers set, a lazy river and several regular sized pools. The pools were also very warm and comfortable. I'm not sure if they were heated or not, but it was so nice to be able to get in without it being very cold!

The next day, we went to the pool and decided to rent a cabana. They were 75 dollars per day and had a built in ceiling fan. They were also able to be closed on all sides for privacy. It seemed a bit pricy, but was well worth it because it allowed me to bring my 3 month old daughter down to the pool and nurse her in privacy, and then switch off with my husband or parent/grandparent to watch her, so we could all spend time in the pool and at the beach with the other kids as well.

The third day we also rented a cabana. This is where our only problem arose, but it was a very significant problem for us. When we called to make the reservation, we were informed that the pools were non-smoking. This is the primary reason we decided to try this resort, as we were unhappy that the resort we had stayed at for the past 10 years didn't enforce their non-smoking policy very well. We smelled cigarette smoke from the cabana next to ours. We asked a pool attendant to enforce their non-smoking policy (though no signs were posted stating that smoking was prohibited). We were informed that smoking was permitted anywhere in the pool area. We were shocked and so disappointed. We only made our reservation here because we wanted a nice resort that didn't expose us to cigarette smoke. I mean REALLY!? I rented the cabana to protect my infant from the heat and sun, just to have her inhale cigarette smoke. UGH!!!
My dad and I found the front desk manager, Jessica. We told her about our concerns and she was very nice and sympathetic. She did confirm that the pool area did permit smoking in all areas except for the pools themselves, although she didn't agree with that policy either. She offered to ask the person to put out the cigarette or move us to a different cabana. I declined the offer, as we were ready to go upstairs for lunch at that time anyway. Jessica offered to refund our money for the cabana rental for that day, which was very generous.

The resort was very quiet and peaceful during the day and night. The radio played at the pool, but there was no loud obnoxious music blaring, as I've experienced in other resorts. Also, in many resorts, we've had to deal with bunches of unsupervised teenagers horse-playing around the pools, shining laser pointers, and running wild in the hallways. We didn't see any of that here. It was wonderful during the night to have peace and quiet. I'm not sure if this was because security was doing a great job or if there was just a different class of people at the resort, but either way it was nice.

The lazy river was nicer here than the other resort we came from, but not everybody wore a ring. I really hate it when kids and adults get in the lazy river to horse-play and jump around, because that isn't the purpose of it. I hope NBP will post a sign stating that people may not get in the lazy river without a ring on, and enforce it.

We left the resort the next day, as our trip was over. When we got back to West Virginia, my six year old son realized he had forgotten his favorite stuffed animal. We were horrified! We called the resort and the girl at the front desk was extremely nice and sympathetic to his situation. She sent somebody to look immediately. They called us the next day and informed us that they found his bear!! They arranged to ship him back to us via UPS and assured us he would be well taken care of until they shipped him the next day. That was very nice and considerate and was a huge relief to my son and me.

We basically felt that we hit the jackpot with this resort, until we realized that smoking was permitted in the pool area. I truly don't understand how a first class resort like this, that obviously focuses on cleanliness, could allow cigarette butts and ashes to litter their beautiful pool areas. Also, it is such a health hazard to everybody! My whole family is allergic to cigarette smoke. It doesn't matter if it is outside, open-air, whatever people who want to justify it say. If a smoker lights up a cigarette, the people in the same vicinity are going to smell and inhale that garbage. If a smoker throws down a cigarette butt on the pool deck, there is a very good chance that somebody, including small children will step on it. If a smoker holds a lit cigarette out, there is a good chance that a child could run past and burn themselves on it. It's simply dangerous and smoking in public places is just no longer socially acceptable. I am appalled that any resort as classy as this would permit this and I sincerely hope they change the policy to ban smoking on the pool deck.

So, will I come back to this resort again? I honestly don't know at this point. Every part of me wants to come back here for our summer trip because the staff was friendly and wonderful, I love the cabanas, the rooms were SO much more beautiful and clean then anywhere else I've stayed, etc, etc. However, I just don't know if I can get over smoking being permitted in the pool area or not. I don't mind paying more money for a classy place, but I just don't know if I can justify doing that and putting my health and the health of my children at risk. That was the only thing the previous place I stayed had going for it. I hope they will change this policy before summer 2013 so my choice will be easier to make.

3 Thank Beckyhubb76
High Point, NC
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I have a house in North Myrtle Beach, but wanted to try a different avenue for our Labor Day weekend. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit with another couple, and everything was fantastic. The room had very nice appointments throughout...the furniture was top of the line, not like some that you experience in beach rental units. The den and bedrooms had nice new HDTVs, and the full kitchen was well stocked. There was a huge balcony with a lounger, several chairs and a table, and a view of the entire pool complex and beach/inlet. We could not possibly ask for more from the accommodations.

The pool area was also the best I have ever seen. Something like eight pools, including an indoor pool and lazy river. There is a swim-up bar in the adults only section that is fantastic, and along the edge of that pool are six in-water tables with bench seating so you never have to get out of the water (except to go to the restroom hopefully). We don't have children, but the other side had many options for the younger ones with shallow spots and baby pools. You can reserve a cabana with a TV, and there are several hot tubs, fountains, and shelters around the perimeter of the pool deck. I can confidently say that this is the nicest pool facility in Myrtle Beach, if not anywhere.

There is breakfast on the third floor with eggs/omelets cooked to order, and a very nice restaurant, "21 Main", on the property. They will even drive you to the front door in a nice golf cart shuttle. The food was wonderful, and Sherman our server was top notch.

I highly recommend North Beach, it is the best Myrtle Beach has to offer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Petty
New York City
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My family and I just returned from NBP. First of all, on the second night of our stay we were awakened at 1:00 in the morning by security accusing us of throwing ice and water off the balcony. We explained to them that they must be mistaken, we were all sound asleep but they insisted it was us and were very rude, they even threatened us with eviction. I was furious. The next morning I called the Manager and left a message. She called back and was very apologetic and was very surprised by the security guards' actions. She said she would write them up and speak to them. I hope she did just that and they should be fired. Except for those obnoxious "security" guards, the rest of the staff was friendly and helpful.

NBP is a beautiful and clean place. Had to wait until 4 to checkin, so be aware of that if you arrive early. Our 3 bedroom/3bath condo was spotless, the view from the 16th Floor of the Jasmine Tower was wonderful, trash was picked up everyday and towels were delivered every day. We cooked breakfast in the great kitchen and made lunch to take to the beach one day. I called for extra blankets and for maintenance of a toilet and they were very prompt. The food at the pool bar is expensive but very good. The pool area was not crowded and you could always find a chair, but maybe it was because during my whole time there it was cloudy. The beach is clean, its long, not wide. My family had to move once as some entitled, spoiled people with their loud kids decided to set up shop directly in front of us and play games, so beware of that if you want a peaceful time at the beach. It happened again the next day but we were ready to leave anyway.

Barefoot Landing is a fun place with a lot of interesting shops. We took a boat ride on the Barefoot Princess. The food was good, but could have more of a selection. It was a 2 hour dinner cruise, very relaxing with oldies music. Would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Unit 1617 (3 bedroom/3bath) was perfect, nicely furnished and the view of the ocean is straight ahea...
2 Thank sandydNewYorkCity
Wadsworth, Ohio
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Our family stay at North Beach Plantation was excellent. Our son who just returned from overseas was able to join us. That made our vacation more special. The staff was very friendly and always there when a call was made. Everything was very clean and immaculate. We will continue our vacations there and are looking at buying a unit. We are very happy with North Beach Plantation. If you are looking for an extra special place to vacation ... Then North Beach is for you.

4 Thank Deb S
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We were soooooo impressed with so many things about this resort I do not know where to begin.
1. The location is perfect right across from Barefoot Landing, close to the highway so you are not stuck on highway 17 forever when you arrive.
2. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN actually immaculate. The townhomes furnishing were amazing....the place looked like it was straight from a catalog.
3. Check in took less than 5 minutes very nice staff
4. If you are skeptical about staying behind the resort in the townhomes dont be the cart service and their drivers are BEYOND courteous. Our driver Alan was always there less than 5 minutes after calling and was extremely patient with all three of my children. He was also very helpful with unloading and loading of my stroller and numerous beach toys when my husband was not with me.
5. Full stocked kitchen. We stayed here with our 7 week old so we chose to eat in and it was great there was everything there we needed and it was CLEAN and new (granite and stainless in the kitchen)
6. Batcherlorette party was next door, we were nervous but heard NOTHING....our son (newborn) actually had a bad night and we apologized to both neighbors and they said they heard nothing.....proves townhomes are very well made, private, and quiet unlike hotels.

Only negative thing is we wished we stayed longer!! Our next visit we plan to bring another family with us because the layout will allow two familys of 4 to stay comfortably while also having their own private bedrooms and bathrooms. We are thrilled we found this property and plan to continue to use it.

2 Thank NJ2NCmommy
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Overall our first trip to Myrtle Beach was amazing. Traveling with 9&12 yr olds, this property was more than enough to keep them happy with all the pools, lazy river and inlet behind for fishing and crabbing! Only reason I gave a few 4 stars instead 5 is because there were a few minor things that weren't perfect but certainly wouldn't stop us from returning here. Stayed in 1br condo in Jasmine tower.. Beautifully decorated and awesome view. Was a little dusty so obviously not cleaned well so that was only turnoff. Vacuum n broom was there for us to use so not terrible. Friendliness of bar staff and a poolside grill was inconsistent! Some were nice and some were downright stonefaced and couldn't be bothered so that was annoying and should be addressed by the mgmt! Last issue was lack of towels available and that was at 11am.. No way should there be no towels available if u know ur at high occupancy!! Pretty much those were the only issues that are lowering the score here otherwise we would've put 5s across the board! Beautiful amazing property and u can't help but enjoy yourself here. Beaches are beautiful too! We will definitely return to this area again and hopefully to this hotel if the price is right. This is the first time I've posted a review but tripadvisor reviews saved us this trip so hopefully my review helps someone else. We changed to this hotel 2wks prior because of consistent bad reviews at a local well known competitor. Thank god we did because we were so much happier here than even the thought of going thru what some travelers described at the other H otel.

• Stayed August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Myrtle Beach
Avista Resort
Avista Resort
#5 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,182 reviews
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,443 reviews
Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
#5 of 208 in Myrtle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,673 reviews
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Ce...
#6 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,225 reviews
The Prince Resort
The Prince Resort
#4 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,035 reviews
Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes

Been to North Beach Plantation? Share your experiences!