“Another trip to paradise”

North Beach Plantation
Westwood
“Another trip to paradise”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We have been to North Beach Plantation so many times I have lost count. It continues to exceed my expectations. I read these reviews every day and I do feel I have to comment on the pool deck and lack of lounge chairs. This is NOT the fault of NBP but rather due to the selfishness of the guests who come down at 9AM, place towels on several chairs and then disappear for 4, 5 or 6 hours. We have even seen a girl come down and place one pool towel across three chairs and walk away. I applaud NBP for trying to address this by removing the towels.

Our room has always been clean and staff members have always been polite and respectful. Trash has always been removed and towels whenever we have needed them.

You cannot please all of the people all of the time but North Beach Plantation is trying their best to do just this.

Our next trip is mid August. I am already counting the days.

Room Tip: Any room on the property is great. If you are looking for ocean front then you want the towers.
2 Thank NBPFan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (726)
NC
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This is a beautiful, luxury resort. When we arrived, our 4 bedroom condo was not ready; however, they gave us a free upgrade to a 5 bedroom condo and a $50 pool bar credit. This was definitely worth it. Our room was ready by 5 p.m., and that gave us time to walk around the pool and grab dinner. The condo was very spacious and was gorgeous. It had everything we needed and the view was spectacular. We will never stay anywhere else now that we are spoiled at North Beach.

1 Thank debbiecoop1
Redlands, California
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The Plantation remains the best NMB has to offer. Not even close. This year, we did witness some fuss at the pools. Many lounge chairs were reserved with towels. We never saw the majority of those who reserved. As a result, by 11 AM, many late comers were complaining due to a lack of chairs. The next day, managment appeared more aware and we saw staff fold towels and remove them from some chairs. Not surprisingly, some who had "reserved" chairs with their towels were complaining. Not sure what the solution is but hardly a reason not to stay here. The Pool Area is not only the best in SC but probably on the East Coast. Very nice beach too. Rooms and staff and parking all merit 5 stars.We'll be back in 2013.

Room Tip: Rooms from 8-12 floor are our favorites. Plenty high without being too far up.
1 Thank RanchoMG
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Well we just returned home from our trip to North Beach Plantation. This was our first stay at North Beach Plantation and our first time staying in North Myrtle. This hotel is beautiful the rooms look just like the pictures.. I have read alot of reviews on this hotel prior to our stay here in preparation for our stay trying to see the pros from the cons and to see what I needed to prepare myself for.. The check in was not a problem at all. We actually were able to check into our room around 12:00... The parking was tight but not as bad as everyone made it out to be we have a larger SUV and we were able to get a parking spot every night no higher than the 2nd floor.. The only problem came on our last day!!! I had read many reviews about the pools and how crowded they can be so I wanted to prepare for our trip and rent a cabana. We were traveling with my 10 month old and a 1 month old so I wanted to make sure we had shade for our little ones.. I booked the cabana one week in advance of our stay.. When we arrived at the hotel everything I requested was fulfilled.. We wanted a high floor and we all wanted to be on the same floor.. We were traveling with our whole family and had booked several rooms.. Also I made sure they had our cabana booked that was already paid in full Sun. thru Thurs... We had no problem Sun. thru Wed.... But unfortunately our last day Thurs. we arrived at the pool only to be told that they had overbooked the cabanas and they had given ours away.. So here we stood with two babies and no shade.. The pool staff did scramble to get us chairs and try to put us under one of the larger shelters which did not work! This was a heavy traffic area and this shelter also had a woman under it selling different pool products she immediately started complaining to the staff that we were blocking her booth needless to say I was furious! They acted like we where the problem! We were not the ones who gave away a paid cabana to another family... I immediately went to the front desk... The gentleman at the front desk was very nice but tried to make excuses for everything first they wanted to refund our money for the cabana for one day and give us a day free this wasn't going to work being that it was our last day.. Then they decided to try to give a 100.00 pool bar credit... First no one in our family drinks. Second why would I want to basically give them their money back by spending it in their resort we had already spent 2000.00 on our room alone not including two other rooms our family had booked...They ended up refunding us 165.00 total but that still didn't help us all day at the pool.. Needless to say our last day wasn't as great as we hoped... I really hated that this happened we were very happy with this hotel until our last day... As much money as we spent I guess I expected a little more than a were sorry here's a pool bar credit! Other than this the hotel was great including the staff at the towers... We are still unsure if we will return but hopefully if we do we will not have this problem again!

11 Thank morganbritt2003
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This property was excellent, well maintained and very clean. Great pool area and the beach was beautiful and clean and real family oriented. Never saw anything inappropriate for the kids. The negatives: The main drawback was check in. Our checkin time was 3:00. At 4:30 I parked at the desk and wouldn't leave without a room. I watched as person after person was told the same thing, "the room is almost ready and we're just waiting on a supervisor to check it". I was told that for two hours. Myself and two others joined forces and demanded a manager and finally got into our rooms about 2 1/2 hours late. The manager gave us a $100 bar credit in response; hardly sufficient for having a 5 and 3 year old and 5 adults waiting for 2 1/2 hours in street clothes at the pool after driving in from Ohio. The manager actually tried to explain away our wait by saying they had 100 people to check in and they had already checked in 60! I know I watched 20 of those 60 turned away because their rooms weren't ready on time. Very frustrating. My wife need handicap accessible facilities and we discovered upon arrival that, if she was at the pool and needed to use the restroom, she needed to go to the restaurant on the third floor (probably not too many people want to head up 3 floors in a wheelchair into the restaurant in a bathing suit to go to the bathroom). Use of these facilities was necessary during our 2 !/2 hours wait to check into our room - after that my wife simply went up to the 19th floor to use the facilities). Those were the main drawbacks and unexpected in such a highly rated property.
Positives - Pools were very well cared for, not overly crowded. They did a nice job allowing people to have fun without over doing it with rules. It was acceptable to have a drink anywhere in the pool area and no one was ever inappropriate..... just people relaxing and having a good time. Staff and guests alike were excellent. Access to restaurants and other activities was excellent and, surprisingly, we never had any long waits to get into restaurants and activities. Great location for everything Myrtle has to offer.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 19th floor and very quiet with a great view down the beach. I would recommend h...
7 Thank HikeOnColumbus
Rockwood, Tennessee
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This was the most wonderful place to stay for our vacation. We have a son with special needs and every accomodation was provided for him. We hope the Lord blesses the special people that
made our week such a great experience. The accomodation was wonderful and so CLEAN which is one of our priorities!! May God bless all of you that work there and keep up the great
work! Hope to see you June 2013.
The Cates family

Akron, Ohio
Reviewed July 6, 2012

The place is great, really. The accommodations are near perfect and the place is kept very well. Our criticism lies in the way the pool staff enforces the rules. There is a 30-minute rule on tables and chairs. if you're not at a table for 30 minutes the staff moves your things to a lost and found area, or sometimes just off to the side. Depends on who is running the show at that particular moment. Also, there is a no-ball policy that is enforced sometimes, but not always. No ball - not even the little squishy ones made for pool play are allowed sometimes - again enforcement is spotty at best. These rules are not posted and enforced only every so often, so literally the lifeguard (one in particular who takes her job as Ball-Commandant very seriously) will walk around and tell dozens of people to stop throwing balls, only to have to do it gain a few minutes later. I heard one guest say it best - there's basically a no-fun policy in place unless you're an adult who is drinking at the swim up bar.

6 Thank dsut
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Myrtle Beach
Avista Resort
Avista Resort
#5 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,182 reviews
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,440 reviews
Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
#5 of 208 in Myrtle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,672 reviews
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Ce...
#6 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,225 reviews
The Prince Resort
The Prince Resort
#4 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,035 reviews
Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes

Been to North Beach Plantation? Share your experiences!