“Clean, safe, spacious room!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in North Myrtle Beach
Blockade Runner Motor Inn
Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in North Myrtle Beach
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Clean, safe, spacious room!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

First trip to North Myrtle Beach area and thankfully, I picked the Blockade Runner Motor Inn for my short stay. I have allergies and wanted a clean, safe place to stay. Based on reviews, I booked with the Blockade Runner. I stayed in a King room with a kitchen. The kitchen included plates, cups, utensils, etc., fridge, stove, sink, toaster, and microwave. (I think there was a coffee maker too, but I don't drink coffee, so I don't recall for sure.) The staff members were friendly and helpful and the location was just right. I walked to the Cherry Grove Pier twice while I was there. It was about a 20-minute walk along the beach from the hotel to the pier. There was a restaurant inside the hotel, but I did not try it. I believe it was open for breakfast and lunch only. Gas station, grocery store, and restaurants are nearby (walking distance). This was an older property, but I was pleased with the cleanliness of the place. Other items in the room (lamps, tables, chairs, TV) appear to be updated/nearly new. The place was quiet even with a portion of the occupants being mature motorcycle riders in town for an event. The hotel sectioned off special parking for the bikes so that even with a small parking lot, there were enough spaces for motorcycles and vehicles.

Room Tip: All rooms have an entry door on the parking lot side and a view of the ocean side with a patio or ba...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank waycoolmom1

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Just returned from a quick trip to N Myrtle Beach for a family reunion. The Blockade Runner provided a great king size efficiency. I am highly allergic and requested a very clean room. The room was exactly that. Hallway carpets are worn as they are in most beach resorts, but the room carpet was lovely and very clean. It was obvious that the room has been renovated with new furniture, a king size bed and to top that off it had a sofa and an efficiency kitchen for an outstanding rate.

We will definitely return to this motor inn. The staff were all helpful and filled with hospitality. Any recommendation made to us about dining out was perfect. Only sorry that our stay was a short 4 days.

Room Tip: Choose a room from the third floor or above to take advantage of the beautiful ocean views. Gwandi
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gwandi
Hamlet, North Carolina
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I don't understand any negative reviews unless you expected a two hundred dollar a night fancy hotel for a seventy dollar a night price. We checked in on the 15th and found this to be a nice place to vacation. I am an admitted germaphobe and was very pleased with how clean everything was. We had a two queen bed room with a small kitchenette and bathroom. The kitchen and bathroom are small but the room with the beds was large enough with a table for four and a small table for two in front of the window and a good sized flat screen TV and writing desk with a chair. The carpet had a few stains but it was not nasty looking but hey, it's the beach, you can't have that many people coming and going through out the year and not get a stain or two. The room smelled good and the mattresses were super comfortable, more so than any hotel we have ever stayed in. The pool is small but very clean and had a lift to help handicapped people in and out. The whirl pool was very clean and felt great. the maid service was excellent and everyone who worked here were very nice and helpful. It's not a fancy place but still a great place to stay for the money, we would definitely stay here again, and our kids came to visit for the day and were impressed enough to plan a visit next year

Room Tip: stay on the fourth or fifth floor for the best ocean view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Diane J
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Great location at the north end of the beach. The price was about right for what you get. The rooms could use a renovation and update the all appliances and dinnerware. The best thing was all rooms are ocean front. Not bad for a cheaper vacation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Frank29212
Virginia
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Wow...I am really surprised by the last few negative reviews. My husband and I just returned from a 6 day stay here. We were very, very pleased with the accommodations. Check-in was fast and went very smoothly. We stayed in room 509. It was very, very clean and had a pleasant smell. The room was spacious with 2 queen size beds, a small kitchen with a full sized refrigerator and a small bathroom, nice size flat screen television and a small kitchen table. The view from the ocean-front balcony is amazing! We feel the cleaning service was wonderful. No complaints there at all. This place was quiet...no hallway noise, no noise from adjacent rooms and the hotel was full with no vacancies the whole time we were there.
The section of the beach this property is located on is not crowded and very quiet. We loved it!
We never went to the pool so we can't really give a fair review of that. It did look clean from what we saw. It is also sort of small. I imagine it is probably very crowded in the peak season.
We also did not eat at the restaurant on site but it was very cute and the menu prices were reasonable.
If there were any negatives it would only be that the bathroom was very small and had no exhaust fan. It got really hot in there after one shower. This was not a huge problem for us since it was just the two of us. We just showered with the door open. This might be a slight problem if you were travelling with others and staying in the same room.
The ice machines were old but not as horrible as another reviewer stated. If the ice machines had grossed us out we would have just purchased a bag of ice and kept it in the freezer in our room.
If you are looking for a 5-star resort hotel with lots of amenities, this is not the place for you. You should choose The Blockade Runner if you are looking for a quiet oceanfront room at an affordable price. The staff was friendly and accommodating and the room was comfortable, clean and convenient. This was our first stay here but it will certainly not be our last. We are already making plans for a return trip next year.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor for the best ocean view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank shrubsgirl
Elkton, Maryland
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We booked a room based on the reviews on trip advisor. We arrived on 8/9/2013. We were early, so we ate at the hotel restaurant. It was quaint and beachside. Food and service were decent. We were allowed to check in early because a room was available. We were given room 301. The room was very large according to modern standards and had a wonderful ocean view. Upon checking into the room, I noticed that the carpet was heavily stained and the room smelled "mildewy". We called the front desk and they sent up someone with air freshener and to check the AC. We opened the doors, sprayed the room, cleaned the AC filter and decided to give it a try. When we opened the fridge, there was a dirty fork in it...ok, so housekeeping didn’t clean the fridge. We were tired, and wanted a nice drink, so I went to get some ice. When I opened the ice machine on the third floor, I noticed that there was rust in the bottom of the ice machine and the chain holding the scoop was rusty and sitting inside the ice machine. The ice machine on the first floor had the same problem. When I asked if other ice was available, I was told no. That was the last straw. We were given a refund and checked out. Our stay at the Blockade Runner lasted about 45 minutes. To be fair to management, they did what they could to satisfy us and did gladly provide the refund. So as long as you are looking for a crash pad that is a 2 star hotel, this is the place for you....otherwise.....stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Leemack912
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We chose this motel this year due to a smaller budget and the great reviews on trip advisor. We chose an efficiency room which included a small kitchen, but a nice full size refrigerator. The location was very close to our family and everything was clean. We did not use the pool, so I cannot comment on that - but I did see a lifter next to it to help people who are handicapped get in.
The reason for our low rating is on our second day we left early to meet family for breakfast and spend the day with them. We got back between 2 - 3:00 and found that our door was not closed. Housekeeping had turned the lock above the doorknob so the bolt was keeping it from shutting completely (I'm assuming they do this to have easy access to their cart while they clean the rooms). We looked through our items and luckily didn't find anything missing. Although we were going on a cruise a few days later and had cash and passports in our room. BTW...there are no safes in the room. I went to advise the front desk and was EXTREMELY underwhelmed by their response. The woman seemed exasperated with the housekeeping staff. When I told her that we didn't find anything missing but would report it if we did, her response was "oh I understand, Hun." absolutely NO apology. She just said she would tell them, whoever "them" is. I expected some kind of response from somebody, or maybe even a discount for our room. Absolutely nothing. We would never stay here again no matter how inexpensive it is. It's not worth the risk to my family and property.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family