“Terribly Misleading”

Shore Crest Vacation Villas
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Upon arrival, we could immediately tell this property was not at all as it appeared in the Bluegreen Resort promos! Wow. Lobby was old (most likely not updated since the late 80's I'd guess) pool area was dark with creepy, dreary lighting (we arrived at night), and the units...awful. Fortunately, before bringing my family and all of our luggage out of the car, I quickly stuck my head into our room to get the lights turned on and check things out. While walking (through the EXTERIOR hall to the room entrance), I felt uneasy. I can't exactly explain why- there was no one around to make me feel that way, but it seemed dumpy and unsafe for some reason. Then, I entered the room. Again...wow. The headboard was (quite literally) falling off of the wall in one of the bedrooms which appeared to have been an issue for quite some time, as there were holes in the wall around it that were not repaired and or painted. The master bathroom was odd (to say the least) and extremely outdated. I was told that we were given an "updated" room- I'd imagine they were referring to the HUGE length of granite counter top that was in the master bath (which was more or less completely open to the master bedroom) but that was the ONLY update I could come up with. As I left the room to go back to the front desk & request another room, I noticed the visably DIRTY wall/door with paint (of what must have been the former room color) caked on the the light switch (something I also happened to notice in all of the rooms in the unit) and peeling paint all along the door frame with chips and nicks on the door and wall from the door lock/latch. Perhaps this may sound like picky issues to some, and maybe my review isn't depicting the unit in it's entirety as I'd like it to...but let it be clear, this place was NOT as advertised! When I got back to the front desk I explained my disappointment and asked if we could please have a nicer room- perhaps one with the granite kitchen counters, stainless steel appliances and flat screen televisions that had been described to me. I was, at that point, advised that the property "...only has 1 unit like that..." and it is already occupied. Nice. It was at that point that my family and I opted to find an alternate location for our visit to Myrtle Beach...

Room Tip: Choose another property!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank 11Rebecca

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We hadn't stayed at the Shorecrest since they completed a renovation and we very pleased with all of the changes. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming. Check in was quick and easy. We were followed to our room by Maintenance man who was coming up to fix a broken handle on the microwave. It wasn't un-usable and when he wasn't able to fix it, he offered to go get a new one which was very nice since it was close to 5 on a Saturday. The room was great...spacious, clean and very nicely appointed. And, of course, an ocean view is always wonderful! We hope to visit again soon!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank gracekellywannabe
Reviewed December 28, 2012

After reading multiple reviews of this property we planned to drive there, and if it was as bad as some of the reviews, we would just drive back home. The day before arrival we called the front desk to request a non-smoking room. We were told that we had a really nice room and they would run an ionizer in it overnight, and this would probably be much nicer than a non-smoking room. Check in was comfortable and quick with Kyle [very helpful and personable] at the front desk who had also spoken to us the day before. The room was 2901 in Shore Crest II, and it had a beautiful view of the sea. The room smelled fresh and was clean. Weather was nice enough to sit on the balcony for breakfast some days. The unit was thoughtfully furnished and had everything we needed in the kitchen. On the down side, the fitness room appeared too small and overused, but we used the fitness room in Shore Crest I which was great. We received a few phone calls from the Bluegreen sales people but nobody was pushy. Since this was more a winter break than beach break, we had planned to do some shopping and go to the movies and this was so convenient because Carmike cinema, the mall, and the outlet mall are just 5-10 minutes drive from Shore Crest. Overall we were very pleased with this property and would certainly vacation there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mahendri R
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Room was adequate if you like to stare at another building and the lobby from your balcony. Wallpaper in master bathroom was peeling and nasty, shower head was literally coming out of wall. Sales people seriously need to know when to stop pushing their sales on other people. We are owners of the sampler, will not ever stay at this resort again. Don't waste your time or money on this scam!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mephdude
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed at the Shore Crest Villas II last week with friends.
We checked in early and they were able to get us in.
The check in process was easy and while the Bluegreen rep was pushing for us to spend time with her we just said we had already made plans and she didn't push the issue.

The staff was very helpful and friendly.

The room was clean and had everything we needed for our 5 night stay.

The pool area was a nice option to the beach when you wanted one.

The snack bar by the pool had the basics to take the edge off.

Located near Barefoot landing was also a big plus.

Overall we had a great visit.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ZipsnBucks
Reviewed September 8, 2012

As Bluegreen Gold owners we were HIGHLY disappointed in the condition of the Shorecrest II room we had. Dishwasher was broken (was replaced promptly upon notification) , sinks didn't hold water AND didn't drain, carpet was DISGUSTING( my son's feet were BLACK with dirt!!!!), comforters were so gross it was sick to put them near your face( we brought a pack and play for our son so thank goodness he didn't have to touch the ones in the second bedroom. Kitchen pans are worthless......even Pam couldn't stop a grilled cheese from sticking. I bought a non stick pan so I could cook. Decor is tired and out dated. Bed was hard. Couch was gross and old. We could hear all the neighbors talking in their rooms, especially the kids screaming in the bedrooms, really nice in the morning. Room smelled like stale cigarette smoke when we first entered. Shall I go on????? Oh, I left ice packs in the freezer that I went to go get 4 hours after we checked out and NO ONE CAN FIND THEM!!!!!! Hmmmmmm.......wonder WHERE they could be???? Save your points on this one. We will not be back! YUCK!! Come on Bluegreen we expect better!

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank KellyR149
Reviewed September 8, 2012

When we arrived at the room (we stay there every year) we were not very happy with the condition of the room. First the room smelled like bacon had been cooked there everyday and never aired or cleaned for that matter. Every year I have to request a topper for the mattress and every year they tell me at the desk it is supposed to be on there but never is. That part is getting old. Then the air purifier (which they didn't have last year) was flashing red and saying needs attention. It was so filthy and dusty it is a wonder it was even running. So we went back to the front desk and advised them off these things. They took care of them (except for the bacon smell). Well then we noticed in the master bath (toilet) that the floor was wet. So we called about that and advised them there was a leak somewhere around the toilet. We left after calling to grab a bite to eat. No sooner then we left they called to say can they come in. Yes of course. When we got back to the room, the water was wiped up. Well later that day the water was back and I mentioned to my husband that it looks like it's coming from the room next to us and once I told him that, he figured out where the leak was. The turn off valve for the water. He put a bowl from the kitchen under the valve and just left it. The maintenance seems to have gone down a bit since last year and these units were recently upgraded or something just about a year or 2 ago. We will go and stay again and even though we had those few bumps to deal with, it worked out ok. It is just a walk across a street (very easy crossing) to the beach. One other thing which really isn't the resorts fault, but the umbrella rental people put umbrellas and chairs out and block so much of the beach with unrented unbrellas. they are expensive and not many people rent them so why take all the space up for families, etc.? Liek I said I still recommend this place, a little pricey if you are not an owner or a member of something but a good place to go. Much quieter than just a little south plus barefoot landing is right there.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple