“BEST experience ever1” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of T.I.G.E.R.S. Preservation Station

T.I.G.E.R.S. Preservation Station
More attraction details
Owner description: T.I.G.E.R.S. Preservation Station is quite possibly the country's only FREE living tiger museum. Located inside Barefoot Landing in North Myrtle Beach, SC, it offers families the opportunity to see tigers up close, through glass, absolutely free of charge. For those interested in meeting a tiger or an ape in person, we offer (for a fee)the opportunity to pose with one of the animal ambassadors for a photo. The animals spend only a couple hours per day, in the late afternoon, at T.I.G.E.R.S. Preservation Station and funding generated from our photos and gift shop sales help support various wildlife conservation projects we conduct worldwide through our Rare Species Fund. We are open from mid-March to mid-October and hours of operation can be found by calling our listed telephone number.
Barrington, Rhode Island
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“BEST experience ever1”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

This was just so much fun. We just loved holding the tiger cub and the baby ape. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

3 Thank susan f

60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I had done the photos with the cubs at Barefoot Landing twice, and I finally convinced my husband to do the safari. The price may seem steep, but where else can you do something like this? Also, the money goes back to taking care of the animals and other good causes, so I'm comfortable with the cost.

The maximum tour size is 80 people, and I was very happy that we were in a group of only 18. They say that the size of the group doesn't affect the amount of time you spend with the animals, but a smaller group did cut down on any time waiting for others to have their pics taken.

We saw the massive liger, a lynx, I think the other cat was an ocelot, so many adorable tiger cubs, wolf "puppies" (still technically puppies but almost full grown), tigers running at full speed, an orangutan, a gibbon, the famous hound, and tiger cubs swimming. The experience was so amazing. I was most excited for the tiger cubs of course, and was not disappointed. We didn't get to meet the elephant, but you are warned beforehand that the animals vary.

The pictures are also great- we got lots of pictures of us with the animals, as well as other pics taken throughout the day which I was very happy about since we couldn't bring our own cameras in.

The tour guides were very knowledgeable and entertaining. The staff is very dedicated and if you want to know more, go to http://www.tigerfriends.com/apprentice.html and read the requirements to work there- I could never do that! The tour is educational (without being preachy), and now I know that I need to avoid palm oil and hope that others will too.

All of the animals looked very healthy and well-taken care of.

The snacks were delicious, especially the homemade granola bars, smoothies, and tea! I was extremely happy that everything was vegetarian too, which is definitely a rarety in Myrtle Beach! And I will admit that I was bad and had Reese's ice cream bar at the end, but who can really resist a freezer full of frozen treats?

When we were waiting in the parking lot there was a port-a-potty that said it was your last chance to use it, but I was happy that there were other full-functioning bathrooms before, during, and after the tour.

I would definitely recommend this to everyone, as well as doing what you can to support their causes. :-)

3 Thank Sapphire226
Hanover, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Our 3rd tour - Looking forward to number 4!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

My daughter and I went on the tour for the 3rd time. Each visit is just as educational and exciting as the first. Being able to interact with animals that you would normally just read about, see pictures of, or see on television, is an unbelievable experience. The caring and passion that the people running/working at T.I.G.E.R.S. have for their animal ambassadors and educating the visitors is quite evident. Moksha actually recognized us from prior visits and took the time to come over and say hello. This really meant a lot to us and made us feel very appreciated. Kody even sat in on some of our pictures when we asked.

If you are at all interested in learning about endangered species and what you can do in your daily life to help them, you must experience this tour. It will be an attitude changing, if not life changing, experience for you.

My daughter and I have already begun checking all of our products for palm oil, and have been emailing companies telling them we will not be using them anymore if they don't change.

We look forward to next year, when my youngest daughter will finally be old enough to go on the tour. She is already excited about the prospect of experiencing what her big sister has been talking about so often.

Thank you Doc, Kody, Moksha, and all the other wonderful people at T.I.G.E.R.S. for everything you do on a daily basis. You are wonderful people!

Visited July 2012
3 Thank Eric K
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Saw this place online while looking for things to do on my trip to Myrtle Beach. I knew this was something I had to do, tigers are my all time favorite animals!! Its also in a great location surrounded by many shops & places to eat. When we found the preserve station we were amazed by the big tigers just hanging out you could get right up to the window and watch them. I knew i had to take a picture with a baby tiger because when would I ever get a opportunity like that again!? & the money from the photo goes to a good cause. We went and took a picture with a 3 month old tiger and i got to hold it's bottle. While we were waiting for the tiger a man brought over a little monkey in a diaper. It was an amazing experience I would highly recommend to any animal lover and Im going back to Myrtle Beach in July 2013 with my daugthers and plan to do this again with them.

3 Thank Erica2819
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Fell Short of Expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked the tour based on the Tripadvisor reviews. The tour was about three hours long. Unfortunately, it didn't meet our expectations for the steep price we paid of $608 combined (includes the photo CD).

Our tour date was on Labor Day, and about 30 people showed up including us. This may be a small amount of people to them, but it was too big of a group for our experience to be intimate and personal. They could have split the group into half or one third, especially when it came time to interact directly with the animals. As a result, 90% of the pictures we got didn't turn out that great (which cost $125).

Wanting to spend more time during the interaction portion is how we felt throughout the tour. Parts of the tour felt really rushed, such as when they brought out three tiger cubbies (one for holding it up next to you, one for putting it against your nose, and one drinking from a bottle - all for picture-purposes only). Don't be fooled into thinking you spend time with these three cubbies when you see other people's pictures. You only get a couple of seconds with them, which is spent only for picture purposes. Even when they let the tiger cubbies loose in the playpen, we spent most of the time in there watching instead of playing with them. We would have also wanted to interact with the primates more and see Bubbles the elephant. The orangutan was the part I looked forward to but only got to take a picture with it.

On the brighter side, the animals were amazing and adorable. The refreshments and ice cream were good too. The tour guides were really friendly, personable, and knowledgeable.

It took A LOT of convincing to do for my boyfriend to finally agree to do the tour because of the price. I kept ensuring him that the price will be well worth it. I'm very disappointed that the tour not only fell short of his expectations but mine as well. Perhaps our experience would have been different if the group was smaller and the interaction time of some of the animals was longer.

6 Thank BigOreo
MBSafari, Manager at T.I.G.E.R.S. Preservation Station, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
We appreciate your visit to the T.I.G.E.R.S. Preserve. We are sorry this fell short of your expectations. The ability to pet tiger cubs or hang out with an orangutan is such a very, very rare experience, that I believe most people have no point of reference from which to base their expectations. For the vast majority of our guests it is absolutely the experience of a lifetime. This factor is multiplied when you come to realize that you CANNOT do this anywhere else in the world. I am sure most people would prefer unlimited interaction time with the animals, but that of course is not realistic. To put the time with the "three cubbies" that you mention into perspective, those were intentionally posed to ensure that you would have quality photos of you both with the animals, not meant as free interaction time. As you recall, immediately afterwards, we sat you down inside an enclosed space and freely let the animals crawl over you.

The staff does our absolute best to ensure a very enjoyable time for both the guests and the animals. In addition to being a very unique interactive and educational experience, your visit helps support wildlife conservation projects through the Rare Species Fund.