“Looking for a nice Italian dinner , but found a loud restaurant with just ok cuisine!”
Review of Umberto's

Umberto's
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Greenwood, Indiana
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Umberto's, boy are you a loud place! I don't know if it's always like that but we could barely hear each other across the table. Now the food was pretty good. They give you a. Greens and bean thick soup like appetizer to start we enjoyed it. Even my 11 year old daughter, but they could do better on the bread. It was hard and very crusty making it difficult to chew. Our waitress was flighty and forgot our iced tea several times after we had asked. She also was hurrying to clear plates from the table next to us and dropped several. It was the only time the restaurant got quiet for a second. They brought a salad made of tomatoes, cucumbers and red onions next. It was ok but really the red onions were to strong and even a bit spicey. Next we got our pasta and entrees. It was angle hair pasta with a red sauce. Pretty runny sauce but again ok. I ordered the eggplant/veal parmigiana. The breading was a little overpowering my husbands chicken parmigiana was the same. We didn't have dessert, it was just to loud of an atmosphere. They did have several men's golf groups in our seated area. One man was drinking from a wine bottle, not what a family wants to be seated next to!

Visited October 2013

Ashburn
“Lots of food”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We ate at the Umberto's at Barefoot Landing (there are two locations). You get an incredible amount of food, and the leftovers provided us with at least 3 additional meals! The food was very good, and they were good at accommodating my friend, who has a lot of food allergies. The night we ate there, the restaurant was extremely busy and noisy, and it was hard to maintain a conversation.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank PlacesToSee4
Wharton, New Jersey
“A Must Visit When In Myrtle Beach, It's So Good...”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I so recommend this place to everyone, everything from the food to the atmosphere to the staff you name it...it's Good!Great!Awesome..
I visit every time it get to myrtle beach to visit my family and I get them to go, and they are finicky eater's also I might mention my parent's don't eat much outside of soul food, But they truly love this place. The food is served with knowledge and a smile...no rush casual atmosphere. And if it isn't done right they will make it right...no problems...I hope they are here to stay and keep up the great work I will be total dedicated patron. Thank you from New Jersey..

• Visited September 2013
Carroll, Ohio, United States
“Rather upscale, LOTS of meat”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Umberto's is found in The Barefoot Landing shopping area. It is a white table cloth restaurant, served in stages and in family style, mostly by waiters who love Pittsburgh! The meal begins with a greens, beans and garlic mixture, along with delicious bread. If you are a bean lover, you will be highly satisfied. Next comes the salad, a chunked tomato/cucumber mixture with an Italian dressing. Spaghetti with tomato sauce is next, and the entree is last. I had the wine poached salmon which was HUGE and delicious, piled with sweet peppers and sliced olives. DELICIOUS. My husband had one of their many veal dishes, which he reports was also DELICIOUS. We had enough food for the next day left. Lots of meat! We only regret we couldn't get to the dessert! If we go again, we would probably pay the extra $8 to split an entree and would still have leftovers! It wasn't cheap nor quick, but a nice meal to savor. downside: booths were loose and a problem when people got up and down, slow service, and very noisy. Lots of large parties here.

• Visited October 2013
Calabash, North Carolina
“Umberto’s – think chop house with an Italian heritage”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

If you don’t like garlic, or a lot of garlic, then it is senseless for you to consider reading this review. The garlic in their dishes is so plentiful that it has repelled more vampires than Buffy – she’s a regular by the way. But if you like the sweet, pungent taste of freshly minced garlic then you will love what awaits you at Umberto’s.

Because of the quality of the dining experience they pack the customers in starting around 6 pm and even so, the waiters are so good that you think you are alone. The waiters tell you what to expect and they describe the menu entrees very well. They probably should be a little more explicit about the size of the portions, the prominence of garlic and how to pace yourself through the preliminary dishes.

We were a group of six and a couple of the guys had been before so they prepared us for what to expect. So we ordered modestly with an order of fried calamari and a dish of peppers and sausage as appetizers that we shared around the table. The calamari was good but too normal for description and the sausage was unremarkable – but then the fun began. The freshly baked bread came with the house version of pasta fagoli. The bread was very doughy and sweet and tasty – I could eat it with butter or oil as a meal – but that is me. The cannelloni beans with a few greens, a few elbow pastas and a ton of garlic was a gas (literally) I enjoyed soaking up the juice with my bread until it was gone and I wanted more – my friends said I could have as much as I wanted but they strongly advised against it – they were right!! Shortly after finishing, a plate of fresh tomato wedges came along seasoned with olive oil, oregano and another load of freshly minced garlic – delicious and refreshing.

About at this point I was wondering about my ability to eat my entrée when the big bowl of angel hair pasta with a sweet, delicious marinara was placed at the table. The waiter told us we could have as much as we wanted – he was taunting us like a street basketball player would jibe a punk. The pasta was al dente and I loved the sauce – I start to drool thinking about it – it was excellent.

My entrée came shortly after and I ordered the veal and eggplant parmagianna. It was wonderful – crisply fried breaded thin slices of tender veal and eggplant lightly sauced with a lighter version of the marinara and lightly cheesed. I loved it and everyone at the table loved whatever they had - including lobster ravioli covered with a scampi sauce with a half dozen large shrimp. At the table next to us a person had ordered the twin pork chops – they were enormous, at least two inches thick and charred beautifully. The menu offers a special that has the same two chops along with a sixteen ounce NY strip for two – wife and I are going back for it – and it is also why I called it a chop house in my title.

Dinner takes about an hour and a half to two hours and is paced fluidly so that time flies by, but you always taste something as it does. Umberto’s has great food and is very well run I recommend it highly.

• Visited September 2013