“Vastly Over-rated”

Ranked #44 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Woodstock, Georgia
“Vastly Over-rated”
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I booked the room for $59 a night on Hotwire. It was worth that, but my initial joy at having booked a Radisson for that rate was misplaced.

Like other reviewers, I have to say that there was a horrible smell permeating the property. It was unfortunately the strongest in my room. If I had paid full price for the room, I would have been very upset.

There is no longer a free breakfast at this location. I attempted to use in-room dining the last morning of my stay. I had to call the front desk 3 times and never did reach anyone who understood how to accept the order. I had to wait for a return call from the kitchen and I don't think that the person who called fully understood what she was supposed to do either.

Basically, the hotel has a fatal smell and the staff at times seemed very confused. It's not a great location for visiting Charleston either. But...it was only $59 a night and wasn't unsafe or dirty (apart from the odor of course). It was worth what I paid but I will look elsewhere for my next foray to Charleston.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank William B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Woodstock, Georgia
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Booked on Hotwire for $60. It was a $60 hotel. If I paid more I would have been disappointed. The room was clean but had an awful stale-air, stinky feet smell. The bathtub and toilet were old and had some chips out of them but I felt like they were clean. The towels and sheets smelled like bleached laundry so I feel they were clean as well. I think it is just an older hotel and needs updating. They have sleep number beds but it was broken in my room so the bed was stuck on a very firm setting which wasn't particularly comfortable to me. Overall though, it was a good room in a convenient location for the price.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ali B
Richlands, Virginia
Reviewed April 7, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Radisson Hotel for the Cooper Bridge Run. The only complaint I have which is partly mine I guess. I thought the hotel offered shuttle service for the bridge run. But you had to book it thru a certain company which I was unaware of. I had booked thru a third party company and by doing this I wasn't eligible for the shuttle service. So this was the only downfall but it was my fault I should have checked more into that. Otherwise the hotel was great!! The rooms were very nice and spacious, and was very clean. Would definitely stay there again if I was in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Let me begin by saying I'm a stickler when it comes to Hotels…. I don't stay at just any property. I needed to find a room in North Charleston's airport area on short notice, so I turned to HotWire to help me out. Ended up getting a king room for $64 a night! Upon arriving at the hotel, I was a little worried because the main entrance to the hotel is between a gas station and a title pawn shop… Not exactly ideal. Check in was a breeze; Friendly staff, nice lobby, etc. Got a room on the 8th floor and when I walked in, I was impressed! Nice, large room with a great view! My room was extremely clean and maintained. Updated furnishings, nice flat screen TV, spacious desk area, and comfortable sitting area with a sleeper sofa. The bed was extremely comfortable! The bathroom was a little on the small side, but very nice. The granite countertop and bowl sink were a nice touch.The only problem that I had with this stay was that the A/C wasn't great at cooling my room. I was ironing my pants for the next day and had to crack the door to let some of the hot air escape. I spoke with the front desk about this issue and they were more than accommodating, even offering to bring me a fan.

They were in the midst of a renovation during my stay, but were very courteous about the noise and such.

Overall, I wouldn't think twice about staying at this property again! Great stay for the value!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 810
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank bburton00
Laura L, Guest Relations Manager at Charleston Airport Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Well thank you for the wonderful comments and high praise of the hotel and our team. Guests like you, who appreciate what we do and share their comments for others to benefit, are simply awesome and truthfully it's us that appreciates you! Thanks for choosing us!
Winchester, Indiana
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I booked my reservation in September 2013 for a nights stay 3/29/14. I called the week before our arrival to confirm the reservation and everything was still as planned. We drive 12hrs only to find that the hotel had overbooked and all they had for us (4adults) was a king bed. The man working the front desk was getting very aggravated and had to have the mgr talk with us. We ended up getting moved to another hotel (was never given options in a pull out couch/cot etc when other people were given an option) They were nice enough to pay for our stay since they couldn't accommodate for us. I chose this hotel for the stay and park package while we were cruising. We came back the next day so we could still leave our car while we left on a cruise, we signed up for the 12:00 shuttle and we didn't leave until after1pm. When we came back from our cruise, the hotel shuttle was supposed to pick us up, they had one shuttle running, and we ended up having to take a taxi because it was going to be over an hr before we could get to our car to leave. I'm still waiting on my refund to my credit card for the percentage we had to pay to reserve the hotel. Will never plan to stay here again. Would advise to go elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Ashley H
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Charleston Airport Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
We take pride in our “Yes I Can!” culture and do apologize that you did not receive this level of service during your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments, so we can continually improve our services.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We were looking for an inexpensive hotel near the airport to spend our first night in Charleston (prior to moving to the historic district the next day). This hotel had a very good price on Priceline so we booked it.

The hotel provides a shuttle which picked us up at the airport approximately 30 minutes after calling the hotel. The driver was friendly, but - wow - what a sorry state that shuttle was in. First off, the smell inside the shuttle (an omen of things to come), was awful. Additionally, I notated that the shuttle had over 250,000 miles on it. For a hotel just several miles from the airport, a quick calculation determined just how old it most likely was.

Holding our breath for the ride, we were hoping for welcome relief when we arrived at the hotel, but a similar awful smell greeted us in the lobby. What was going on here?

Fortunately check-in was easy and the staff was very friendly. We retreated to our room via an elevator with a wet floor (kids swimming?). The hallway to our room also had a strange smell, but thankfully the room was neutral.

The furnishings in the room were fine. Everything seemed to have been updated 5 or 7 years ago, but not maintained since that time. The cleanliness was questionable, but not overbearingly bad. Mold was present around the shower. The television had several channels that didn't work and the sleep number beds were also not operational.

Overall, the hotel reminded me of the beautiful girl you see from far away. Everything looks fine, until you get up close. That's when you notice she smells a little funny and maybe doesn't take care of herself very well. It was worth the price (about the cost of a Motel 6), but if I'd spent more I would have been very disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank EskimoTony
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Charleston Airport Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel and your room during your stay, including the pervasive, awful smell and moldy bathroom. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience as your comments are valued and will be used to consider improvements in the future.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Just stayed one night near the airport to catch an early flight. Only one person was at the desk and he had to keep apologizing as more and more guests were lining up to be helped. He was also managing the phone and was just really overwhelmed.

The first room they gave me had a door lock that was broken and it would not allow me into the room. Went back downstairs and he had me switched. These are the issues in my new room: The sink faucet was not installed correctly and wobbled back and forth, there were random hairs in the tub, the bathroom in general just looked dirty, there were stains on the box spring, the headboard was hung crooked, the arm on the desk chair was not stable enough to support my arm while I worked at the desk, large water stain on the ceiling, and the tiles above the shower were disgusting.

There was construction taking place while I was there, so hopefully some of these are being remedied.

This was fine just for me, but I would never walk around this room barefoot and would not definitely not want my toddler crawling around here.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank BonnaBonna
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Charleston Airport Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with hotel management to ensure all guest rooms are up to Radisson standards.