“Clean room in older hotel”

Charleston Airport Hotel
Ranked #43 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Columbia, South Carolina
“Clean room in older hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

My daughter and I stayed in the only room available - a room with King bed and sofa bed. The room was clean, which to me is the most important thing. The room had all the amenities - iron, microfridge, microwave, blow dryer. Nice TV. The only complaint is that the bathroom door would not close. The hotel itself shows signs of age and is not very modern. The business center computer was outdated and not easy to work with.

Breakfast is not included, however there is a restaurant in the hotel. Unfortunately, the service was horrible. We waited by the "please wait here to be seated" sign for 10 minutes without anyone acknowledging we were there and then left.

The hotel staff was not helpful. Checking in, I had to ask where the room was as the information was not offered. Checking out, I had to ask for a receipt. It was not automatically given to me.

Sketch neighborhood.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RadissonManager843, Manager at Charleston Airport Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Carolina Shores
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

the welcoming we got from Dominique should have said what we were in store for. Get to the room, walk in and it smells like cat/dog urine. The beds were not the sleep number beds like my reservation and on line stated. They were too soft pillow top beds that you sunk into. My key card not once but twice had to be re-keyed and still didn't work. The small and I mean small fridge in the room, door bar missing, freezer section frozen over, no hair dryer in the room and the chair at the desk was broken. Finally I demanded to be moved. The lady in the restaurant and this is the second visit where not only did she not greet us, but never asked us if we would like coffee, tea or even water. Leave a tip for what? she didn't do anything. We were told at check out that we would be not be charged (we were to be refunded) for that last trip for the one night, which we were not. I email the general manager Marzena Wyszynska on the19th of July. It is now the 29th, no response. tsk-tsk.
The ONLY positive comment I can make is that of the front desk clerk Elena. Smiling, friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: I suggest you see and check out the room FIRST!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RadissonManager843, Director of Sales at Charleston Airport Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that your room was not to your liking and that our staff did not address the issues right away.

We have run into issues with our renovation that have had a domino effect and we are currently addressing all these issues.

As we wrap up the final phases of the renovation we have been able to ensure that future guests do not have the same experience.

Again, thank you for your feedback it can only make us better!

Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Horrible and downright dangerous. Rooms were dirty. At 7 PM rooms still not ready. When ready they were still very dirty. The downstairs bathroom by the restaurant had toilets that would not flush. Poop everywhere, including the sink. The water only worked on one sink. Unusable bathroom. The restaurant had dirty dishes stacked with the clean dishes. Very dirty dishes. No way anyone could have missed this when stacking the plates. The key cards would not work in the doors. Air conditioning out in many of the rooms. No access to the pool, gym, or hot tub due to being reserved for a family reunion. Almost nothing in this hotel worked. The shuttle to the cruise ship was packed with people sitting on top of each other and standing up.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. Book another place that has a cruise package.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. We have had several disappointments with our renovation and have experienced a delay in turning rooms around for our guests.

We apologize that your experience during our renovations were not as you expected. The final phase of our renovations in the public areas (restrooms off lobby) is in full swing and the water was shut off to those areas during the remodel. We apologize if the signage was not properly displayed and that you experienced a mess in the closed public restrooms.

Please know that we have a wonderful cruise package and have had MANY happy guests return to us several times and I hope that you will give us another chance to proof ourselves. I can assure you that once renovations are completed you will have a much more enjoyable experience.

burke
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 6 day While visiting family in the area. You must have a car as there is nothing really in walking distance and there is a main highway in front of the hotel.( My mistake not renting a car). No place to eat with in walking distance, except the hotel. 1- day of arrival I was met at the counter by a women who told me not to stay at this hotel, due to mold and a broken sink in her room 2-Our room day one was dirty, trash under the bed, a soil brush that stayed all week.#3- 2nd day house keeping came in and when they left all the pillows from the beds were on the floor? 4- almost daily had to call for towels as housekeeping would not leave them? there was 3 of us. 5- the hotel pool was so so, clumps of hair on the side of the pool, too warm and the side entry way door in the pool room was soiled with cigarette, hotel staff smoked outside .The hot tub was closed the whole week and taped off buy caution tape. 6- Breakfast had new wait staff in training and did the best that they could, the hot breakfast was cold. 7- there was a leak in the bathroom from the room above, brown drainage, leaked all over our bathroom floor. Over all daily there was something not good to report. I have stayed at other radisson in the past and was really hoping for a better stay. Will not stay there again. And yes there were problems with the room cards.

Room Tip: under the bed was dirty with trash and an old brush stayed there all week. The exercise room is poor...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Charleston Airport Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to write your review. Our goal is to ensure fresh food is provided and that each item is available for all of our guests. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room, especially concerning the leaky ceiling and the lack of housekeeping. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Radisson standards. In addition, we apologize for the condition of the swimming pool area. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future.
Conway, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Honestly, I cannot believe that they would put the name Radisson on this hotel. We pulled into the parking lot and my first words were "Oh No!". I am pretty sure that this hotel must have looked nice, maybe 40 years ago. It was old, tired and dirty, with even unsavory characters hanging around outside. The room was a mixture of old and ancient, with a bathroom toilet seat that wouldn't be still. I sat back on the aged sofa an propped up my stocking feet on the table, only to have a hair ball, from someone else's hair, fall off of my foot onto the floor. The control of the adjustable bed was comical, to say the least. I thought my room was bad, until I spoke with my brother, in whose room nothing worked. He reported the problems to the lady at the front desk, who replied, "What do you want me to do?" I felt really bad, because he stayed there only because I said I was going to. I guarantee you, I wont stay at this place again. Why only a 'POOR' rating? Because I somehow slept okay, though I checked to make sure my car wasn't up on blocks the next morning.

Room Tip: Ask to look at a room before you check in.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gabednar
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Charleston Airport Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the conditions of your room, especially the broken toilet seat and the general uncleanliness of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Radisson standards. Also, we apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

First, the good: the staff at the front desk was extremely courteous.

Now the concerns:
1) We had two connecting rooms for two nights, and the room key cards did not work for either room. Staff reissued cards for each room, but those also did not work. In the end, only one card per room worked, and then only intermittently. There were other patrons with the same issues.
2) The hotel information books in both of our rooms were empty except for the category tabs, leaving us without access to info regarding amenities, restaurant, room service, etc. Desk staff attempted to locate new books but were unable to do so. Either no one thought to check empty rooms, or they did and those were also empty.
3) No hair dryer in either room.
4) There was a pervasive odor of sewage in the parking lot.
5) The ice machines were out of order. Rather than delivering ice to our rooms, we were told we had to go down to the restaurant with our ice buckets to get some from the bar. It was late, we were tired from an 8-hour drive, but we did go in search of the ice...the staff at the restaurant appeared vexed at the request (but was probably frustrated by people asking for ice all the time).
6) The ladies' restroom off the lobby was very dirty, with feces on the seat of one toilet, unflushed waste in the other toilets. The toilet did not flush well, requiring 7-8 flushes. I reported it to the front desk who said she'd let housekeeping and maintenance know when they came on duty (this was at 8:00 AM).
7) We went to the hotel restaurant for breakfast and the server (there was only one person on duty) was not welcoming, instead she tersely asked us for our coupons...the implication being we couldn't eat there without vouchers. We went to the front desk clerk who was surprised that we weren't given ones at check-in. Apparently there weren't any coupons at the desk, so we were given a hand-written note to give the server who didn't seem pleased. The service at the buffet was poor...no bowls, I asked for a glass of water which never came, despite that there were less than 15 people in the restaurant.

We have stayed in Radissons before and were extremely pleased, so we chose this hotel because of its name. Sadly, it did not live up to its name. As the manager has pointed out in her many apologies in the previous reviews, the hotel is under renovation. However, few, if any, of our complaints were related to remodeling. It's just not a well-run hotel. With the abundance of area hotels, I would recommend an alternative location for a Charleston-area stay.

• Stayed July 2013
RadissonManager843, Director of Sales at Charleston Airport Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and we appreciate the information that you provided. As we move into the public areas of our renovations the ice machine area will be addressed and resolved. With the continuing efforts to keep the renovation impact to a minimum we have pulled staff away from areas; which has caused impacts in other areas.

Please know that we are working towards a successful resolution to all our service issues and we do see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Plainfield, NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel was horrendous.
The rooms are nice upon entrance and exceptionally clean, a credit to the housekeeping staff, but that is where the accolades end. Throughout my family, we had about 30 rooms booked and most of them had problems with the TV quality, ALL of the rooms had trouble with the key cards not working properly and several rooms had problems with the A/C units. Any time we asked for more towels or wash cloths, we got the same response, "we didn't wash any yet". The front dest staff was nice, but very unknowledgeable. I asked them of any outdoor public basketball courts and they gave me 4 different locations, none of which had any courts. I asked them their recommendations of any good seafood and bar-b-q restaurants in the area and they handed me a list of Google results (I could have done that).

In reference to the title of this review, my family reunion, we all agreed that the experience was terrible. Over the course of the weekend, we booked three sit-down activities where food was to be served. On all three occasions, the hotel ran out of food, napkins, silverware, glasses and sugar...yes sugar! On top of that, 2 of the 3 sit-downs were in rooms that were not big enough to hold my family. Some of us were sitting against the wall with no table while others had to stand. The last sit-down was a Sunday buffet style breakfast. The kitchen staff continuously had long gaps in between refilling the food and other condiments. Also, there was only one person on staff assigned to bus the tables for a family of about 120; by the time half of us had eaten most of the tables were piled high with dirty dishes (which explains why they kept running out of silverware).

To top things off, I called the day after I checked out to find out if I had left one of my hats in the room. I had to call 4 times within 15 minutes and still was unable to reach housekeeping or anyone else who may have been able to help me.

I am not a complainer and I definitely do not normally write complaints about hotels or restaurants, usually I just won't return. But on this occasion I felt I had to voice my opinion. This reunion was between July 19-21, the height of tourist season. This hotel was grossly unprepared and understaffed. The staff on hand did what they could but I couldn't really expect any miracles when you have one person assigned to 50+ guests on a given task. So I guess my real aggravation is aimed at the hotels' General Manager. To have a nice hotel with a decent staff put on that bad a performance is asinine. To have a family reunion that was booked months in advance have such a bad all around experience should be unacceptable.

Now obviously I am never returning to this place, but I urge others to stay away as well. For my family to give them our business and be so disappointed in the end is just not cool at all. :-(

Room Tip: Do not book here, it is just not worth the trouble.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the feedback and information that we will use to ensure that our future guests have a better experience. With the renovations we have experienced unforeseen delays and we have had to stretch our staff.

This has caused an impact on our guests and we do apologize that our failings hurt your reunion.

Thank you again and know that we take your commits to heart,