Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Charleston/Ashley Phosphate
Ranked #17 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
key west
“great place to stay”
Reviewed October 27, 2009

we had two rooms and both were very pleasent and comfortable. Staff was accommodating and stay was very nice. The city is amazing and the people friendly. We will be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
NH
Reviewed September 14, 2009

We arrived after a long day of travel with three children. The very kind gentleman who checked us in suggested a different room from what we reserved so the rollaway bed (for child #3) would fit more easily. Room was great. The hotel is not brand new, but it is well maintained.

I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area, and I'd certainly return if I am in the area.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed September 5, 2009

First of all, "hotel location naming creativity" is annoying in general, In the Charleston, SC metropolitan area, the location names of the HI Express properties will cause problems with even the most seasoned traveler. This property is NOT in Charleston, SC. It is in North Charleston. This is more than 16 miles away from downtown Charleston. This property is NOT on Ashley Phosphate Road, it is on Northwoods Blvd. (which essentially is a access road for Northwoods Mall). This is the closest HI Express to the Charleston International Airport, which is only 6 miles away. The hotel is located right next to Northwoods Mall, so plenty of shopping and eating can be found close by. I would certainly recommend this hotel as an alternative to costly properties in the Charleston Historic District.

The various owners and franchisees need to work on these ridiculously confusing location names. This property should be "HI Express Northwoods Mall". Every cab driver in the Lowcountry knows where Northwoods is. The HI Express on Elms Center Road is brand new and should be considered an alternative to the Northwoods property. New hotel, a little further from the action. That one should be "HI Express Goose Creek". The one on Savannah Hwy should be "HI Express West Ashley". There are NO HI Express properties in Historic Charleston.

I picked a "jacuzzi" room only because it was one of the last available (same night booking). I found out when I arrived at the property, most of the rooms were booked by some volleyball team. Never even used the jacuzzi as it was located smack dab in the middle of the room, and I like my hotel rooms cold. My advice would be to stay away from this type of room as the oversized tub takes up WAY too much real estate in the otherwise nicely appointed room. Don't really know why one needs a tub for two in the middle of the room and a tub for one in the bathroom. Seems like poor design to me. You can always use the jacuzzi in the pool area for free. My first room choice would have been the "Executive King Suite", but this property did not offer that type of room.

I did enjoy the dual 32" LCD TVs, I did not enjoy the total lack of any HD programming. I can't watch analog channels on widescreen TVs, the picture quality just looks dreadful. Room did not offer any pay per view. The free wireless internet was adequate for checking email, but bandwidth was lacking for more substantial downloading like the TV episode I tried to download from iTunes. This was NOT a signal strength issue, the hotel simply doesn't have enough bandwidth for a full house.

The room itself was spotless, no odors, everything worked fine. Plenty of hot water, A/C nice and cold.

Hands down, one of the best night's sleep I have EVER had in a hotel. I didn't wake up until the morning. I can't remember the last time I slept that well.

Breakfast was served until a NORMAL time (other hotels can learn from this), 10am.
I enjoyed my cinnamon rolls, biscuits and gravy, with some ice cold milk around 9:15am.

Check out was quick and easy. Handed in my key and walked out.

I asked if they offered a shuttle to the airport, the response was an abrupt "NO". I asked the concierge to phone me a taxi which she agreed to do. I am a bit puzzled by the two "HI Express Courtesy Shuttles" parked outside the front door. What exactly are those used for? That airport taxi was $18.00 + tip.

I'm giving this hotel a low rating on value as my room was $168.30. When I booked, the price was quoted as $136.00. I tried to book any other room with a King bed, they all were "not available". Obviously, when I check in (solo traveler) at 12:30am, I won't be needing a jacuzzi, just a good night's sleep.

I am also still trying to get this hotel to remove an authorization from my credit card. It has been more than a week since my stay, I paid in cash when I checked in.

Overall a pleasant stay, but after spending $243.00 in cab fares and hotel fees for one night in Charleston, next time I'll stay at a Hilton and save some money.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank captseaton
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 23, 2009

We arrived at 2am after a 10-hour drive. We had dreams of waking up at daybreak and going to Isle of Palms for a swim, but we were too exhausted and the hotel was just too comforting to leave before check-out time. When I went to check in, I expected a sleepy, depressed front desk clerk; the woman who greeted me was instead vibrant, genuinely cheerful, and extraordinarily willing to help us with anything we needed. She even asked if we needed help with our baggage. I have never had desk service like that before in a mid-level hotel. Our room was huge, well-appointed, and immaculate. The room looked like no one had ever set foot in it before. The artwork on the walls celebrated Charleston old and new; the bed was extremely comfortable with soft, downy, bright white bed linens and a velvety green blanket. There was a microwave and tall mini-fridge, again, perfectly clean. The bathroom had an extra-wide shower and rain-shower style nozzle. The shampoo and conditioner they provided was excellent and smelled like cinnamon buns. Breakfast was fine, but nothing special: for me, a vegetarian, I got by with fruit, scrambled eggs, and a peach yogurt. I did try the "actual" cinnamon buns often mentioned in reviews of this hotel's breakfast, but the shampoo was better. I was even instilled with confidence enough to do yoga stretches on the carpeted hotel room floor...this hotel is clean, well-managed, and special. Enjoy your trip!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I just returned from a stay in Charleston at this hotel and it was very pleasant. We checked in quickly and the host was courteous.

The room was average size and had a desk and also a little kitchen area with a refrigerator and microwave. The bathroom was small, but there was plenty of space to do what you needed. The room was cleaned well each day. Our toilet flooded one morning and water quickly poured out all over the bathroom and into the carpet, but the maintenance person was there within five minutes and had all the water cleared, the toilet unclogged, and the carpet dry as quick as a flash.

The hotel has a small buffet breakfast each morning. The cinnamon rolls were so good! They also had biscuits and gravy, sausage, eggs, bagels, muffins, pastries, fruit, cereal, grits (instant with hot water to make yourself), coffee, and several fruit juices. On Sunday they had a different selection of food--including French toast,mini-omelets and bacon. The staff was courteous and continually filled up when food got low. We got so full each morning that we just skipped lunch.

The hotel is near a mall that has Sears, Dillards, and JC Penny as flagship stores. There is a Barnes and Noble and a Books A Million less than a mile away. The hotel is also in an area with several fast food restaurants, Denny's, a Wal-Mart close by, Carrabba's and Olive Garden, and several gas stations. It's right off the highway so we could easily get to downtown Charleston for sightseeing.

Finally, the parking is free and we never had a problem with finding a close spot.

If we had to go back again for vacation, I definitely would book at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2009
California
Reviewed June 9, 2009

What a great experience we had staying at this hotel! Super clean, very helpful and friendly staff, adequate security, plus the extras of coffee, newspaper, great housekeeping service, etc.... In addition, the complimentary continental breakfast and "manager's reception" (aka Happy Hour) really made our stay enjoyable. Next time we are in the area (or even remotely close) we will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed April 30, 2009

We were there for a funeral, not to sight see for days in Charleston, but it was not too far from downtown and was actually closer to Middleton Gardens compared to a downtown property. The Tangier Outlets were about two exits away. The hotel itself was right off I-26 and easy to find. We enjoyed having Sticky Fingers (great BBQ) right next door. The hotel was very nice. The crib we requested was there upon arrival as well as a free HI bib! The breakfast buffet was well stocked and maintained. The attendants were so nice to let me wash out a few baby bottles in the kitchen. The cinnamon rolls were the best. Every staff member was so nice. Great rate too. Depending on your plans, this hotel could be perfect for your needs.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Charleston
SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate
SpringHill Suites Charleston Nor...
#14 of 58 in North Charleston
Hampton Inn Charleston North
#3 of 58 in North Charleston
Hampton Inn & Suites Charleston /  West Ashley
Holiday Inn Express and Suites Charleston Airport and Convention Center
Holiday Inn Express and Suites C...
#1 of 58 in North Charleston
Hyatt Place North Charleston
Hyatt Place North Charleston
#4 of 58 in North Charleston

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Charleston/Ashley Phosphate? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Charleston/Ashley Phosphate

Property: Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Charleston/Ashley Phosphate
Address: 7670 Northwoods Blvd, I-26 Exit 209, North Charleston, SC 29406-4032
#7 Business Hotel in North Charleston
#9 Romantic Hotel in North Charleston
#11 Family Hotel in North Charleston
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Charleston/Ashley Phosphate 2.5*
Charleston South Carolina has it all history, museums, plantations, beaches, deep-sea fishing, golf, world renowned dining and more. Charleston is a great place for a mini or extended vacation with year-round cultural events that everyone will enjoy. Southeastern Wildlife Expo Cooper River Bridge Run Flowertown Festival Family Circle Cup / Tennis Heritage Rally Spoleto Festival Our award winning Holiday Inn Express Hotel is located in South Carolina s largest shopping district and twelve miles from Charleston s Historic Downtown. Our hotel is packed with amenities fitness center, seasonal outdoor pool, business center, spacious guest rooms, Jacuzzi suites, and meeting and banquet facilities. Perfect for the business traveler and leisure traveler alike, Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - North Charleston South Carolina invites you to a memorable visit to the Low Country. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, IHG, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Charleston/Ashley Phosphate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Charleston/Ashley Phosphate