“Cozy Comforts!”

Red Roof Inn North Charleston
Ranked #36 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed July 8, 2013

When I arrived, I was greeted by Devin who was very friendly and very courteous. Even though hotels.com messed my reservation up by misspelling my name and not sending it to Red Roof Inn's data base and me fussing and arguing, Devin remained very professional and even apologized for the inconvenience even through it was not the hotel's fault. I will never use hotel.com to make hotel reservations ever again. As far as the room, the room was clean, nice, and very cozy. I just wish that they have at least a microwave in the standard rooms though. I had a very nice stay and a very nice rest that night to the point where I did not want to get up the next morning. I like the fact that check out is at 12pm instead of 10am like most hotels. I would check in with Red Roof Inn again, however I will call them directly next time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
i0142, General Manager at Red Roof Inn North Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms as well as the service Devin provided you. He was very thankful that you recognized and shared your appreciation of his assistance. Positive feedback like yours is always an encouragement to the staff and myself. It is always our goal to deliver great service and quality rooms. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn North Charleston

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Worst hotel ever. The wood floor (instead of the usual moquette) is the only valuable thing. Our double room was poor: no hairdryer (I mean, really?!), poor choice of tv channels and no tv remote controller, no wifi in our room (it was necessary to go outside). But most of all was DIRTY: hairs in the floor, dirt in the sink, dust in the forniture, spots in both bedcovers in boths sides. Sheets in one of the bed were dirty too with dark spots under the pillow. Towels were dirty too and some of them had holes. We left them on the floor in order to be sure that they would have been changed. The following morning we required full service cleaning putting the card on the pillow as for the instructions BUT NOTHING HAPPENED: dirty sheets with spots under the pillow and dirty towels with holes (!!!) were still at their locations. This is unbelievable and unacceptable. And do you want to know what else was incredible? Looking for the controller we found an empty bottle of vodka and food gone bad leftover into the drawers. It' s clear that they 'clean' only were they see. Moreover, after the cleaning and with us out of the room for the whole day, the room smelled of smoke. Considering that I have seen women smoke inside the lobby I reasonably believe that they smoked inside or near our room. Wasn't it supposed to be a smoke free hotel? The last night there were 4 patrol cars outside our room...if 1 can help me to feel more safe, 4 don't help me to feel comfortable, just scared.

• Stayed: July 2013
i0142, General Manager at Red Roof Inn North Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I would like to extend my apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Our goal is to exceed expectations and in this case we let you down. We pride ourselves on the quality of our rooms, so I just want to let you know, that I am very disappointed that you did not receive excellent service. I have shared your feedback with the entire staff to ensure nothing like this happens in the future. We value you as a guest and it is my hope that you would give us another opportunity to better serve you in the future. I would also like to mention, that we offer select rooms that include the micro/ fridges, iron and ironing boards, in-room coffee, and a hair dryer. For future references, those rooms are called our “superior king rooms” and are offered for $5 more. If you choose to opt out of that room, we do have hair dryers at the front desk that guests can check out. I want to thank you again for your feedback, and again apologize for the bad experience you had at our inn.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed for five nights with our teenage granddaughters. We requested adjacent rooms, which were ready and waiting for us on arrival. We were very pleased with the cleanliness of the rooms, our beds were totally comfortable, and we liked the location. We were close enough to the attractions we wanted to see, but in a quiet and restful area. There are several restaurants nearby, including a Wendy's next door, offering a good scale of pricing and types of food choices. The facility obviously isn't new, but we thought it was well kept, and we would gladly choose to stay there again. The only weakness for us was the lack of an in-room coffeemaker, but free coffee was available in the lobby. All in all, good job, Red Roof!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

My staff and I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay. We love hearing guest feedback and positive feedback like yours is always an encouragement not only for the staff but for me as well. I am glad that we are able to accommodate your needs and that you enjoyed having the nearby restaurants at your leisure. It is my hope that you will give us another opportunity to meet your expectations when your future travels require lodging.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

After reading the surprisingly positive reviews of this "Next Generation Hotel", I booked a room for three nights in hopes that RRI's poor rep was about to be countered. It wasn't. Our room reeked of cigarette smoke. I mean reeked, it was like the smell had soaked into everything in the room. Oh yeah, the whole place is supposed to be nonsmoking. The walls were all scratched, the bathroom had hair on the door, and our room door lock didn't work. By the time we left, which was 20 minutes after we arrived, the door couldn't even close anymore because the lock was stuck. The staff was fairly friendly and we were assured a full refund. Don't believe the reviews saying how nice it is now that's it's remodeled.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
i0142, General Manager at Red Roof Inn North Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

I would like to extend my apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Our goal is to exceed expectations and in this case we failed you. I have shared your feedback with my maintenance staff to ensure we correct the door lock issues. Unfortunately, we still have guests that violate our 100% smoke free policy and we are in the process of testing different solutions to ensure our rooms remain smoke free. Again thank you for bringing this to our attention and it is my hope that you will give us another opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Note, I am a red roof fiend, and just in the last month I've stayed in Red Roof Inn 2 other times, all different properties. I generally like this chain, free-wifi, most rooms have fridges/microwaves, etc. I haven't reviewed the other properties because they have been more-or-less similar except for either being recently renovated or an older property.

However, this by far, has been terribly disappointing. Generally, its a good bet to pick a recently renovated Red Roof Inn, they have new flooring and beds, LCD TVs, Wi-fi not too slow, etc. However, staying in this one was just disgusting. I thought I was okay with the 3.5 star tripadvisor average so far. Rather, the room smelt of smoke when I walked in. The floor was sticky, and after I accidentally dripped some water onto the floor after washing my hands. I wiped it with the bathrug towel...which turned completely grey after I flipped it over. This nastiness was just not isolated to the floor, the sink countertop was all dusty, and my wife saw a red spot (blood? makeup?). I went to make a cup of coffee, but decided to wipe the inside of the machine quickly with a tissue...brown mildew!

To bring up the other two I have stayed at in the last month, one was an older,run-down and unrenovated property, obviously converted from another hotel chains as it is not their standard design. But it was well run, and upkeep was good. Another one was also recently renovated (but not as recently as this one), and it felt like the construction workers had just left the day before. Now that is excellent management and staff. From now on, I will have to be more picky about selecting only Red Roof Inns with higher ratings. Note the other two had 4* tripadvisor ratings. Seems like half a tripadvisor star makes a world of difference!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

I want to apologize for the bad experience you had at our inn. Our goal is to exceed expectations and in this case we were unsuccessful. I have shared your feedback with my team to ensure this does not happen in the future. We want all of our guest’s to leave feeling comfortable and satisfied with their overall experience. Again, I would like to apologize for failing to give you excellent service and it is my hope that you will give us another opportunity to better serve you next time your travel requirements need lodging.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

The staff was very friendly and the room upgrades are lovely. The general manager Chiquitta Phillips was pleasant and assisted me with anything I needed. I will definitely stay again. The beds were so comfortable. I need one in my house.

• Stayed: May 2013
i0142, General Manager at Red Roof Inn North Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms as well as the service I provided you. Positive feedback like yours is always an encouragement to the staff. It is always our goal to deliver great service and quality rooms. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Over Memorial Day weekend i stayed at the Red Roof Inn in North Charleston on Northwoods Blvd. I was excited to stay in what I thought was reasonably priced hotel. However I was soon very disappointed to find that only bare essentials were included in the hotel and I was confronted with rude and bad behavior by other guests. There was NO microwave, refrigerator, clothing iron or hair dryer in the room. No breakfast foods were offered but coffee and hot water. Having bought yogurt to supplement for my breakfast, it went bad because their ice machine was not working either. Additionally the atmosphere and other guests of this place were questionable. I was approached upon arrival by a strange man drinking an alcoholic beverage and asked if I would like him to help me take my bags to my room. Uncomfortable with this I declined. But to really top things off my rental car was keyed while parked in their parking lot. I am now responsible to pay my rental car company Enterprise $275.36 for these horrible scratch marks and possibly more. They will let me know once their shop guys give them an estimate for repairs. I tried to make a complaint on Red Roof's website but the form would not be brought up. I will NEVER stay at a Red Roof Inn again and most definitely think twice about staying at any hotel in this area of North Charleston again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lichtyshop

I want to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. Our goal is to exceed expectations and in this case we let you down. We do offer superior king rooms that include a micro/ fridge, in room coffee pot, an iron, and an ironing board for $5 more. I can understand your frustration of having your car damaged on our property during your stay, and I sincerely apologize for that incident. We do have security here on the weekends, so in the future, please contact the front desk so they can assist you with any problems you may have. We value you as a guest and it is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to better serve you in the near future.