“Bare Essentials and Damage done to My Car”

Red Roof Inn North Charleston
Ranked #37 of 59 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Over Memorial Day weekend i stayed at the Red Roof Inn in North Charleston on Northwoods Blvd. I was excited to stay in what I thought was reasonably priced hotel. However I was soon very disappointed to find that only bare essentials were included in the hotel and I was confronted with rude and bad behavior by other guests. There was NO microwave, refrigerator, clothing iron or hair dryer in the room. No breakfast foods were offered but coffee and hot water. Having bought yogurt to supplement for my breakfast, it went bad because their ice machine was not working either. Additionally the atmosphere and other guests of this place were questionable. I was approached upon arrival by a strange man drinking an alcoholic beverage and asked if I would like him to help me take my bags to my room. Uncomfortable with this I declined. But to really top things off my rental car was keyed while parked in their parking lot. I am now responsible to pay my rental car company Enterprise $275.36 for these horrible scratch marks and possibly more. They will let me know once their shop guys give them an estimate for repairs. I tried to make a complaint on Red Roof's website but the form would not be brought up. I will NEVER stay at a Red Roof Inn again and most definitely think twice about staying at any hotel in this area of North Charleston again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lichtyshop
i0142, General Manager at Red Roof Inn North Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

I want to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. Our goal is to exceed expectations and in this case we let you down. We do offer superior king rooms that include a micro/ fridge, in room coffee pot, an iron, and an ironing board for $5 more. I can understand your frustration of having your car damaged on our property during your stay, and I sincerely apologize for that incident. We do have security here on the weekends, so in the future, please contact the front desk so they can assist you with any problems you may have. We value you as a guest and it is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Updated Clean room. Non smoke smell.
Above average compared to other red roof inns and low budget hotels.

Hot shower with good water pressure. The shower head was nice and high.

Nice staff. Full capacity but quiet.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

My team and I would like to thank you for providing positive feedback regarding your recent stay. We are glad that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms. We want to thank you again for your feedback, and look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We chose Red Roof Inn, North Charleston, because it was pet friendly and we wanted to bring our dog to the beach with us. They were very friendly at checkin, very helpful and very knowledgable about the attractions and eating spots around them. We stayed two nights here and loved every minute. The rooms were ample, and no surrounding neighbors to bug us. I don't have any complaints about this hotel because it supplied us with our basic needs during our stay.

Room Tip: Choose room by the courtyard... Less noise from surrounding establishments.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

My staff and I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay. We love hearing guest feedback and positive feedback like yours is always an encouragement not only for the staff but for me as well. I am glad that we were able to accommodate your needs and that you enjoyed being able to travel with your pets. We look forward for your next visit with us.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

When I travel I really just need a place to sleep and shower because I'm usually on the go. The Red Roof Inn has been remodeled and has laminate floors. It's actually very nice, but not a lot of extras. Great location. 10 minutes from the beach and 10 minutes from Charleston. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Being pool side is nice, but loud.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
i0142, General Manager at Red Roof Inn North Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

My team and I would like to thank you for providing positive feedback regarding your recent stay. We are glad that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and the convenience of shopping. We want to thank you again for your feedback, and look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Great value. Clean rooms.Tiny bath. Nice staff. By interstate. Took about 20 min to get downtown.

It is like a motel. All rooms have outside entry...............................................

We will stay there again in May.

• Stayed: April 2013
i0142, General Manager at Red Roof Inn North Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

My staff and I would like to thank you for your positive comments. We enjoy hearing about the great experiences our guests have, and appreciate your feedback. We love providing guests with excellent service so I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward for your next visit with us.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Until i realized.. the housekeeping didn't get the MEMO that cleaning is necessary.

I honestly thought oh cool i'm going to check out this hotel that just renovated and that is a good price (expedia) and give them a good review..

I walked into my room late at night and realized oh wow the room was renovated and looked nice from far.

- I went to go lock the door (this hotel is motel style) and saw the dead bolt was BROKEN. I called it in because as a woman staying alone in this place, i think its concerning.

- I started to unpack and turned some lights on and realized ok well the floor is dirty.. maybe house keeping missed the paper on the ground and the dust.. lets not make a big fuss.

- i slept. i was exhausted.

- i woke up and with the light of day.. i unfortunately saw that:
- there was a glass stain on the bathroom counter (not wiped so clearly the counter
had not been clean)
- saw a bobby pin left over on the counter (i dont use them.. so not mine!)
- there was MEN'S HAIR on the white towels
- there was A SQUISHED ROACH on the [--] bathroom counter.. the color of the
roach almost blended with the color of the counter.. but unfortunately for them,
even without my morning coffee i spotted it. THIS is disgusting.

* I should have been paid to stay here.
** I reported all of this to the woman on duty that morning.. but im sure the report did not go further than that unfortunately.

Don't judge a book by its cover ;) I was sure the inside had been renovated and was clean and great.. but little did i know how disgusting it was.

NEVER stay here.

PS: I stayed here at the end of February but have not taken the time to upload the photos/report this until now. I still remember it vividly however and i would advise everyone to proceed with caution.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
i0142, General Manager at Red Roof Inn North Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

I want to apologize for the bad experience you had at our inn. Our goal is to exceed expectations and in this case we were unsuccessful. I have shared your feedback with my team to ensure this does not happen in the future. We want all of our guest’s to leave feeling comfortable and satisfied with their overall experience. Again, I would like to apologize for failing to give you excellent service and it is my hope that you will give us another opportunity to better serve you next time your travel requirements need lodging.

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This is my second year in a row staying at this location for 7 nights while on vacation in Charleston. The rooms have been remodeled since last year and I found it to he clean and quite comfortable. I was in room 203 front side over office almost. If I had to complain about anything parking can be a little tricky on any given night you might not
get a space anywhere near your room. I wish that WiFi was at least secured by a password it's unsecured so I don't do anything online that requires my passwords for anything. Only other thing they might want to recaulk around tub it needs it! Other then that if the price is right next year I will certainly stay there for a third year in a row!

• Stayed: April 2013

My staff and I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay. We love hearing guest feedback and positive feedback like yours is always an encouragement not only for the staff but for me as well. I am glad that we are able to accommodate your needs. We look forward for your next visit with us.