“Nice room, nice beds and nice staff”

Charleston Grand Hotel
Ranked #51 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Bluffton, Sc
“Nice room, nice beds and nice staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Hotel was easily accessible off interstate 26. Attached restaurant didn't look so great. No visible restaurants nearby, but only 15 minutes to the Shem Creek section of Mount Pleasant - lots of nice restaurant choices there. Room was great. One of the best beds ever. Nice staff. Linens not that great. Small parking lot. Security iffy. Wouldn't run back to this hotel, but would probably try this place again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank laffininbl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Walnut Creek, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this place. The room itself was OK. It was clean and large enough for my wife and daughter.
We were on the 7th floor, which was the top floor, so I thought we would be able to avoid some of the noise but I was wrong. There were people hanging out in front of the restaurant fighting and yelling all night. The freeway noise was pretty loud too.
The parking lot was small and I didn't feel comfortable parking there. I'm glad I had a rental car because I wouldn't have left my own car there.
There wasn't breakfast provided but the restaurant connected to the hotel offered food for $5/person. It was typical hotel breakfast and it should have been included in the rate.
Since the room was clean and the staff was friendly I rated it average but I wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't face the highway.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank khub79
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed here for four nights. Clean, well appointed room. Friendly, accommodating staff.
Excellent value. Easy access to Interstate.
Would stay here again.
No restaurants or shopping nearby, but not too far away off I-26.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank butch l
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

On Kayak, this property was listed as a 3-star; on Priceline, it's a 2-star. In reality, it's - at best - a 1-star. In fact, I'm surprised the Clarion chain lets this hotel hold its name. It is just too old, too grimey, too dark, and in too bad of a location to be anything above a 1-star. I'm sorry - The staff can be as kind as possible but it doesn't make up for stained sheets, old rickety air conditioners falling out of walls, dark dreary lighting, being in a bad part of town adjacent to a not-so-pleasant bus station, having a wild and loud bar on ground level next door, and every room being overwhelmingly loud (from the highway flowing above and next to the hotel).

I had booked this hotel after visiting downtown Charleston so that I could be conveniently located a little north of Charleston to start my drive back home in North Carolina the next day. I booked on priceline.com through kayak.com. I made the mistake of not looking at the reviews - definitely my mistake.

This place did not feel safe to me and it certainly didn't feel clean or well-kept. The doors are rickety, the hallways dark, the carpeting old, the walls old and moldy.

Don't fooled by photos of the exterior. This place is NOT NICE. You will not be able to sleep or feel comfortable. It is in a bad area next to a bus station and very close to a very busy and loud highway. It has not been updated in ages - Maybe a new bathroom vanity here or there, but that's about it.

Just one or two exits beyond this hotel, there are MUCH better options at the same or better price.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Any room offered will be loud from the highway and/or loud from the redneck bar...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NikkiHooter
Clermont, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

To whom you maybe traveling threw North Charleston, South Carolina beware of the nasties hotel LOOKS ARE DECEIVING DONT GO BY WHAT THEY SAY FOR HOTEL VIEWINGS OF PHOTOS SHOW , like they say when you go cheap you get cheap. what you will exspect is a thug hotel with a Bar a Gray hound Bus Station neighboring beside it. For breakfast you will exspect to pay $2.50 for brown colored fake scramble eggs with nuk pork patties greasy as hell looks like brown rubber meat, stale cereal, several weeks old fruit that looks like its been sitting there for months and a juice machine,( your better off hitting McDonalds and at least you no it will be safe too eat) maybe the board of health should visit them HOTEL. Also to inform anyone there are theives that work there as well that likes to go threw peoples personal belongings I FOR ONE HAD EXPERCE IT FOR MYSELF FOR THE 1ST TIME OUT OF 8 YEARS OF TRAVELING (WOW I FINALLY GOT HIT), I HAD $20.00 OF QUARTERS THAT I USE FOR LAUNDRY AS ANY WHO KNOWS AND TRAVELS ALOT QUARTERS ARE LIKE GOLD AND WELL A CASIO CAMERA STOLLEN IT WAS NOT MUCH TO ALOT OF PEOPLE but for me it was and its very invasive to intrude threw others belongs. Exspect to hear the sirens ever nite from the law inforcement it is a vvvvery active area as well as the property there for crime, its a very noisy hotel that is falling apart I for ANYONE IF YOU ARE would never recommend any one to stay at that hotel even if your there for business or vacation or even planning to crash for a couple of hours you would be better off spending a little more for a better hotel and location or keep driving but if you like to have you stuff stollen from your room or have your vehicle broken into that is the place to stay AND IF YOU DO I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST. IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS DON"T EXSPECT ANYTHING FROM THEM. I FOR ONE DON"T COMPLAIN ON MUCH BUT I WOULD EVEN RECOMMEND EVEN FAMILY OR FRIENDS TO STAY.

Room Tip: rrrrrrun as fast as you can llllook there are much better locations and hotel's in that area ple...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank dean k
Kelly S, General Manager at Charleston Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

First, let me apologize for the inconvenience during your stay. It is our desire to ensure all of our guest concerns are addressed in a timely manner. We are in the process of making changes to correct all the issues you had during your stay with us. I have discussed your concerns with each department and explained to them the importance of making sure our guest are satisfied. We would like the opportunity to serve you again. Please contact me directly the next time you are in the Charleston area, so we may accomodate you. My number is 843-554-4140. Thank you in advance and again I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Tom Slawson
Brunswick, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is actually my second time staying at this hotel. My second trip was completely by mistake. The pictures of the exterior property is very deceiving. Before I break down the negative aspects of my stay here, I must say that the general manager is slowly updating the rooms and lobby. I liked the furnishings in the lobby. My room was okay, nothing spectacular but there are new flat screens and mattresses. I did get a great nights sleep.

Now....housekeeping begins vaccuuming and yelling up and down the halls at 8:30am, I was instructed to throw our linens outside the door if we wanted fresh linens that day. Unfortunately we left the hotel for sight seeing and returned to a room that had not been cleaned. We only had our towels replaced (with stained towels.) The trashcans were not even emptied. When I called down to the front desk, I was told to bring the garbage down and they would give me trash can liners! No apologies or explanations. The morning of checkout housekeeping was banging on the door to find out what time we were going to leave to clean the room. I understand that things happen that cannot be controlled at times, but customer service always makes the issues a bit more excusable. As some of the other reviews have noted, this hotel is not the torch bearer of good customer service.

For the price, I got a great night's sleep, but during waking hours...I would not stay again.

Room Tip: Less noise from the bar on the higher floors, but you get less room service attention there.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Tonya S
fletcher
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Room was actually ok, had tv that worked, fridge and bed was nice. Bathroom was clean and shower strong and warm. The location is right off the interstate, and right next to the greyhound bus station, so kinda keep an eye out for that transient population. This hotel also has a lot of weekly guests like construction workers from out of town and since there is plenty of parking some truck drivers use this hotel on a regular basis. Hotel personnel were efficient but not friendly, they get the job done. This was the first choice hotel I stayed at that you did not get any type of breakfast free. They had a breakfast there but you had to pay for it, about 2,50 I believe and I can get the same thing for free elsewhere so even though it was worth it, not really following the choice hotel policy. They did have free coffee in lobby, tasted like old motor oil. So bottom line is for the money it was good, but if you are expecting a family orientated hotel with all the amenities of a Hyatt, then do not stay here stay at a Hyatt. If you see street people and it makes you nervous then do not stay here. It is not in a good neighborhood, it has a major R/R line right behind the hotel so you get some noise from that as the freight trains go by. If you pay about 30-50 dollars more you can stay at a nicer hotel in a touristy part of N. Charleston.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business