“Take your money elsewhere!”

Charleston Grand Hotel
Ranked #51 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Ponce Inlet, Florida
“Take your money elsewhere!”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband, two kids, and myself stayed at this Clarion Inn for two nights, and we did not have a good experience and ended up cutting our trip short a day because of it. First of all, this hotel is in the hood- BAD part of town, for sure. Second, the hotel is very old, and though you can tell they have attempted to bring it somewhat up-to-date, they still have a long way to go. Mold in the shower. The most frustrating experience by far was the fact that our key card to get into our room NEVER worked. Seriously, every time we left the room the card deactivated itself and we had to go back down to the front desk. The staff was very friendly, and the only positive thing I have to say about this hotel. For what we paid, I wish we would have taken our money elsewhere and stayed in a hotel that wasn't so dingy in a better part of town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Kelly B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
sc
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Awful place, terrible smell very outdated and old TV's and I saw two roaches in the room. I left the room and stayed elsewhere, I would not recommend staying here. It is also in a bad section of North Charleston.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank lawsc1
Beaufort, South Carolina
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was hesitant to stay here at first. I usually stay at Marriott, Holiday Inn, or Hilton hotels but they were all booked solid that day. I went by this one and didn't like the neighborhood but needed the room. I was presently suprised how nice the hotel was. Someone had done a tremendous job fixing this place up and my room was very nice. Clean, roomy and comfortable. I didn't get to try the breakfast. I did eat in the Ariel resturant and lounge that was part of the hotel. Frozen hamburger patties, kraft singles for cheese. Not real wonderful. Ambiance was terrible. The hotel was nice but the resturant brings it down. Good value for price.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not on the side with the train tracks and train yard. Gets noisy when they are put...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank William R
Greenwood, South Carolina
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This was by far one of the worst hotel experiences we have ever had, and we have stayed in many hotels. We were visiting Charleston and stayed here due to the fact that there were no available rooms in Downtown Charleston because it was Home & Garden weekend.
Firstly, the hotel is not even the same color that it is in the photo online. It is very dated. When we pulled up, there were at least 3 police cars at the gas station across the street apprehending someone. The elevator was very slow and smelled like cigarette smoke. There was a hole in the bottom of our room door so we had to put a towel there at night to keep light from getting in. The bathroom decor was recently updated, that was one of the pros of the room. The floor/carpet felt like it had recently been shampooed and not rinsed out well - therefore sticky. The window curtains had brown stains on them. The television remote did not work and was stuck on one channel. The bed was fairly comfortable.

The day staff was fairly friendly but the night staff was not in the least. We got back from a night out around 2:30am and our room key card was not working. We went down to the front desk and there was no one to be found and the phone was ringing off the hook. When the receptionist finally showed up she answered the phone which was apparently a person complaining about noise on the 7th floor. When she hung up she promptly asked us if it was our "crew running around up there" in a very rude tone. I was too tired and frustrated to correct her. We told her what room we were in and asked for our keys to be reactivated. She did not even ask to see and ID, which concerned me.

Parking was less than par, especially in the evening/nighttime. There is a nightclub/lounge in the hotel and those patrons take most of the parking spots, forcing hotel guests to park in the poorly lit back parking lot. Those nightclub patrons also make plenty of noise as well. There is a back door to the hotel, however, there is an air conditioning unit above said door that drips water constantly and gets you wet when you walk out the door and step into a huge puddle.

We will never stay at this hotel again, or any other Choice Hotel, for that matter.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Madison B
Kannapolis, North Carolina
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was in Charleston for the Cooper River Bridge Run and booked 2 nights here. The customer service was wonderful. My check-in took 3 minutes and everyone was very friendly. My room was on the 7th floor and overlooked the pool. Of course the hotel sits right next to the Interstate, so road noise is to be expected. The hotel was clean and comfortable and appeared to me that it had recently been renovated because the bathrooms were updated with granite counter tops and tile flooring. The staff was superb. The hotel really cared about us runners and had a shuttle for us directly to the start of the race so that we didn't have to drive to the Convention Center and park. They also had their hot breakfast (sausage, eggs, grits, biscuits, gravy, fruit, yogurt, cereal, coffee, orange juice, etc) start at 4:30am on race morning so that everyone could eat without rushing. They even gave each of us a bag with fruit and bottled water to take with us since the race didn't start until 8:00am and we had to be at the start by 6:30am. When we returned back to the hotel from the race later in the day, the front staff asked us how our day had been. The room rate was very reasonable and I felt well taken care of and safe there. I would definitely stay there again. Very close to downtown, yet reasonably priced hotel to stay. Also, the hotel was very quiet (obviously important since most of us staying there needed to go to be early for race day.)

Room Tip: I would recommend staying on a higher floor (6th or 7th) and on the Interstate side if the train bot...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SuzB49250
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Traveled to Charleston, SC last month to arrange a funeral for a family member. Found the Clarion Inn online and from the photos and a few reviews it looked like I would have a decent three night stay not very far from the city. Made reservations with booking.com. Checked in and the desk clerk was nice enough, although she seemed like she was inexperienced and probably new. She was alone and couldn't seem to get anyone to come assist her with my check in. Finally, the person I assume was the manager, (exceptionally tall black man) appeared from the back office. He also seemed inexperienced and less knowledgeable than a manager should have been. He wasn't very pleasant. No eye contact, no apology for taking up my time, no smile or empathy. Ít took about 30 minutes to get everything squared away. My credit card ended up getting charged 3 different times with different amounts and a hold for the incorrect charges remained on my account for 5 days.
Eventually got to my room which smelled like cigarette smoke although I requested a non-smoking room. Made a complaint with the front desk and they were unable to offer me a different room because they lacked availability.
I had a difficult time sleeping because of the noise other guests were making in the hallways late into the night. Also heard several trains pass by. Made a second complaint to the front desk and was told there was a party of some kind happening in the bar next door to the hotel. They didn't offer me any upgrades or even a simple apology.
At check out I spoke to the same manager again and expressed my dissatisfaction with the time I had spent there. He didn't offer me a reimbursement or anything to make up for my bad experience. I was told to contact the Choice Hotel Company about being reimbursed, which I have done. I'm still waiting for a response.
If you're looking to stay somewhere with noisy trains, loud parties and poor customer service, stay here. If you don't expect much value for your hard earned money, stay here. Will not be visiting that part of town anytime soon. Hopefully, the management there takes these reviews seriously.

Room Tip: If you stay here ask for a room away from the train tracks and parties.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CynthiaL664
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

This review is one of the most difficult I have tried to write as I have a very split review of the hotel. Each of the staff I encountered or interacted with was excellent so I know there is improvement in the works on a daily basis as you can not maintain such a excellent staff without it.

The room appeared clean but late during the 2nd evening of our stay I did kill a roach in the bedroom so it is obvious that some of the past issues noted by previous reviews have not yet been completely resolved. The hotel is situated along the railroad and our room was on that side, while we did hear a few train coupling noises during our 2 days, it was not loud enough to disturb us as the rooms/windows seemed to be well insulated and only occurred once at night after 9pm about 10:30pm.

The breakfast selection was much, much, much less then I expected but the quality of what was there was fine. No pastries, yogurt or fruit whatsoever. However the eggs and sausage were both fresh and at the correct temp. The coffee was barely room temp and there was no sugar to be found anywhere, nor was there any staff maintaining the breakfast.

We may be cruising from Charleston in the future and will want to consider this hotel for our park and cruise hotel due to its location and the pickup/drop off service they provide, but will have to see some future positive later reviews before doing so.

Stayed March 2013