“unfriendly staff” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #51 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Munich
“unfriendly staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2008

We stayed for two nights and after check in we went to our room (King bed for 5$ more). First impression was OK, but after some minutes we figured out that the light in the bathroom did not work and also the remote control of the TV was not working. We talked to the front desk and they sayed they would send someone to fix it. After we returned from shopping somebody was in the room, but the light and remote control didn't work. After talking to the front desk again we waited for the guy and showed him the light and the non working RC. He installed a new light and programmed the RC (two minute work). The next day the RC again didn't work. So talking to the front desk again the answered rude that they would send the guy again. Nobody came for over an hour. One more time talking to the front desk they told me, that I broke the RC and it was already reprogrammed the day before and I had to wait for the guy. The whole day nobody came and the RC wasn't working. People at the front desk (two different women were both not friendly nor helpful). Breakfast was OK, but nothing special. I wouldn't stay at this motel again (even it had a good price), because also a lot of military planes landed on the airport nearby and it was quite noisy.

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — service and friendlyness
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kimberly925, Manager at Days Inn Charleston Airport Coliseum, responded to this review, January 13, 2009
In response to this particular case, We had sent the maintenance to this room, they said the light was flickering and the remote was not working. Our Maint. fixed the remote and checked the light but none of them were acting up upon checking all the bathroom lights. The light blew completely then they immediately went and replaced the bulb. When the second complaint came in the maint. were at lunch and when they came back they went and put a brand new remote in the room and reprogrammed this and explained to please not hit the search key which takes the code to the TV off and it will not work again and this is what happened and they reprogrammed and fixed the remote. We are sorry for the inconvenience, but we did respond to each call about the remote in a timely manner. Unfortunately there was some confusion with the remote after they got it to working and we replaced with a brand new remote. Thanks.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Not at this hotel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2008

I don't normally write bad reviews but, I wish I would have been warned on this one! We spent 10 minutes in the room then decided we had to leave and could not possibly stay there! It is not a safe area, not to mention the filth of it all! We took the kids to the pool where we found a woman clearly on some sort of drugs, had 3 different men open their doors just to stare at us walk by (we weren't even in swimsuits), then got to see a naked man sleeping with the light on and blinds open. Quite the experience to take the kids on. It was horrible!!!! I dropped our room key off and we left. Found a great Holiday Inn Express, $110 and completely worth it!

• Liked — Leaving!!!!
  • Disliked — Ummmm...let me count the things!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank pynkq
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2008

This place wouldn't be bad if they completely renovated or hired a cleaning staff. It wasn't the dumpiest place ever, but it was apparent why it was the cheapest in the area.
I normally don't, but i felt obligated to wear sandals in the shower.
They need to clean the corners of the bathroom, clean up the dead bugs on the floor.
Upon arrival, the room smelled, but it went away after turning on the air conditioner.
Luckily the bed felt safe/clean enough to sleep in for a night.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2008

Don't let the pictures fool you. Not sure where the pictures were taken but not at this location. We arrived and were really unsure about even going to the front desk after seeing what was in the parking lot (looked like a busy street corner for Happy Hooker hour). Got the key to our room....the beds were not double but more like super single and the top mattress was below your knee in height. The comforter on the beds had tears in them. The room smelled like old pee. There were people living in the hotel cooking on the sidewalk with a charcoal grill and gas burners...what they were cooking smelled like Middle East food so of course everything around had that smell. They had to be living in the hotel because their room door was open & they had a shoe tree by the door and if you looked in it was decorated with personal belongings. After seeing what was hanging around the pool, no way I would let my kids get in there, they would have either been attacked or surely gotten some type of communicable disease. The front desk didn't say a word and did give me a full refund when I told them how bad it was, how could they argue the fact when the lady at the front desk looked like she just fell off the turnip truck and knocked all but 5 teeth out during the fall. If you need a good nights sleep, you should go around the corner towards International Drive. Pricing is a little higher but so worth it.

• Liked — nothing to like
  • Disliked — everything was bad
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank woreoutUsa
spartanburg sc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2008

My sister, mother and I booked a weekend here in March. We checked in around 3:00. We went into our room and it was filthy.Dust all over the furniture and tv. Mirrors were dirty. The toliet had not been cleaned and the tub had black hairs in it. My mom carries around lysol so she got it out and went to work. It was also a no smoking room that smelled of smoke. We went out for the evening came back and put on pajamas and talked awhile. About 10:30 we turned one of the beds down and little bugs were crawling on the sheets. (Also black hairs in the bed.) I got a cup and caught some and took them to the front desk. The girl looked at it and said"What do you want me to do about it?" I asked for another room and she said they were booked. I even asked for more sheets and she said she didn't have any clean ones. I told her I was not sleeping with bugs and she said "Well I guess you will have to check out". So at midnight we were riding our mom around Charleston hunting a room. After about 5 trys we found one at Country Hearth Inn on I-26. It was much nicer and clean. I have tied to contact Days Inn but have not been able to talk to anyone yet. It would be safer to sleep in your car in the Walmart parking lot than the Days Inn at W.Montague in Charleston.

• Liked — Near the interstate
  • Disliked — Rude employees and filthy rooms
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Charlotte, NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2008

First of all I would like to start by saying that I am a person who travels quite frequently and I honestly don't have a hotel chain preference. When choosing accommodations, I look for clean rooms, convenient location, and reasonable prices. I thought I had found all three of these items when booking my room at this hotel. Needless to say, I found the total opposite. I have stayed at Days Inn hotels on several occasions in the past and this has been my worst and last experience with them.

When I pulled up to the front entrance to check-in, I attempted to open the front door only to find that it was locked. I could clearly see inside at the front desk clerk who appeared to be staring at me trying to open the front door. Finally I realized that she wasn't going to budge and there was a doorbell, so I rang it. At that point, she decided to get up and walk to the window that had a small open area enough to put your hand in and for me to hear her speak. She asked if I needed something. Baffled and very disgusted, I told her that I was there to check-into my hotel room. She inquired if I had a reservation and I informed her that I did. It was about 11pm and I was already exhausted from a long day of driving, so this was definitely not going the way I wanted it to. She asks my name and then walks all the way back to the desk to pull up my reservation while I'm standing outside in the cold. Then she comes back and asks me to slide my credit card and drivers license thru the little hole in the glass. So I gave her the card and license and she comes back with my receipt, license and room key. Everything is fine until I take a look at my receipt and it shows that she swiped my card for a larger dollar amount than my room reservation. When I asked her about this, she states that they always do that and the remaining charges would "fall off" when I check out. Granted, it was only an extra $12 but I was absolutely appalled by this. However, being as though it was already late and I had been there freezing my butt off, I figured I would let it go until check-out.

I get to my room that had a huge non-smoking sign on the door, and guess what? The room smelled like marijuana and cigarette smoke combined! I called the front desk and asked the front desk person why was I in a non-smoking room that reeked of smoke and she said that they have no control over what their guests do in their rooms. Then she told me they were booked and she couldn't swap my room. I ended up running up the street to Walgreens and getting some candles tom help get rid of the scent. Once I came back, I decided to try to calm my nerves and watch a little tv before getting ready for bed. I grabbed the remote and there were no batteries in it to power on the tv. So I turned the tv on manually and the tv screen was blue on every channel you turned to. So I called the front desk and she said that they had been having problems with the tv in my room and the technician wouldn't be able to fix it until next week!!! The next morning I get up to get dressed and check-out and needed to iron my clothes. There was an ironing board but no iron. So I walked down to the lobby and asked for an iron and the very rude front desk person said that she would send someone to my room with an iron. Well, I waited and waited and finally 2 hours later I decided to just wear wrinkled clothes. As I was heading out of the door to load the car with my bags, the hotel maid was about to knock but I opened the door before she could knock and guess what she had.....an iron! All I could do was walk past her and jump in my car. Check-out was a breeze because all I had to do was wait patiently to drop my room key off with the rude morning shift lady at the front desk while she had an argument with one of her friends on her cell phone! :-((

• Liked — It was close to the shopping malls.
  • Disliked — Everything else!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sns1203
NE Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2007

Maybe it was comparison: We stayed across the street at the EconoLodge for 1 night, and moved here the 2nd day.
Very helpful staff, much better rooms than the EconoLodge. Much better breakfast (basic pastries, toast, cereal, etc. but good enough).
This is a basic hotel w/o a pool, but we didn't need one.
For basic stay, I would certainly consider this hotel again.

• Liked — Good basic room as a base of operations for seeing Charleston
  • Stayed July 2007