“Low end hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Colorado
“Low end hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2007

This was one of the worst hotels I have ever seen. Our company booked this hotel. The room smelled and the carpet was filthy. The clerk was rude. There was no one in the parking lot which should have given us a clue that it was terrible. We just could not spend a night there.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank BusTravelerColorado

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2007

Hotel has no interior corridors--twice during our one night stay there we had someone trying to break into our room--front desk refused to do anything about it and second time we called down, two hours after first incident was not answering phone. The surrounding area is not good: trailer homes, smashed windows, broken autos, etc. We were very uncomfortable here. I contacted Quality Inn main office to discuss this and so far, two weeks later have had no response. Be
very careful, if you choose to stay here and do not expect much.

• Liked — Nothing--No, Leaving.
  • Disliked — Man opening my door two feet away from my bed inmiddle of the night --Twice
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Donna P
illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2007

If you are considering visiting Charleston, do not stay at the Quality Inn in North Charleston. When I made reservation, a month ahead, I specifically reserved a NON SMOKING room. When we arrived late Friday night, the room smelled like an ash tray. I called the front desk and their response was "We overbooked and this was the only room available. Would you like some deodorizing spray?". They never brought the spray to our room. What are reservations good for if you don't get what you reserve????Then, my husband hung our coats on the shelf and the whole shelf fell. The next morning, we made arrangements with the front desk to switch to a non smoking room. The new room was not clean yet, so we packed our stuff in our car and visited Charleston. Later that night when we returned back to the hotel, we were astonished to find out that they did not switch our rooms and unbelievably gave our non smoking room away again. The two employees working the night shift were absolutely no help and seemed to be aggravated with us for requesting to switch rooms, which we reserved in the first place. Needless to say, we checked out and my husband drove 3 hours back home during the middle of the night.

Stayed March 2007
3 Thank jkpowell69
Goose Creek, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2007

I travel to the North Charleston/Summerville location a few times a year for business, and this property will not be seeing me again.
When I was checking in, the front desk was on the phone with a customer that was lost, and they were very rude to them. After they finished the phone call, they continued to complain about "how stupid tourists are". What a great first impression!
As for the room itself - the toilet, which leaked, ran all night long. The TV reception was fuzzy or "snowy". The carpet has sticky food all around the desk area.
And, on top of all of that, there was a bunch of teenagers running up and down the parking lot screaming until midnight. Of course the front desk personell just didn't care.
I do have to say, however, that once I was able to get back to sleep, the bed was very, very comfortable.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — overall cleanliness (lack of)
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Erk_W
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2006

Clean room. Staff was friendly for the most part. Breakfast was above average, with a wide variety of food such as yogurt, breads, waffles, cereals, juices, and pastries. Good experience.

Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2006

I had the recent opportunity to spend almost 10 days at the Quality Suites in North Charleston, S.C. I have some items that should be considered by any future guest before choosing this hotel.

1. The bathroom sink is located in the bedroom and not in the bathroom. It is located in a cabinet of drawers that line one wall. What makes using it so difficult is the fact there is no toe space clearance for your foot to be able to get close to the sink to do your primping. The cabinet goes all the way to the floor so you feel like you have to lean over to use the sink. Very uncomfortable shaving position.

2. The heating/air system is not first rate. I had one night when there was no heat and no other rooms available. I now have the fun story to tell people that I had to leave the north to go south to freeze. They discounted the room charge, but that was the only assistance until the next day. Another room did not have any air conditioning when the temperatures outside went up. I had to get a new room after previously unpacking everything. No one helped move my items even though it was not my fault that the room had no air conditioning.

3. The web site advertises they have VCRs in the rooms. I brought tapes and my room doesn't have a VCR. Other rooms have VCRs, but they aren't hooked up for use. Why advertise they have them when they are either missing or not working?

4. The bedroom closet is behind the bedroom door. This makes for difficult access to the clothes in the closet. You find yourself always closing the bedroom door to access the clothes and then having to cover up the closet again to get out of the bedroom. This is a bad design for the closet.

5. The complimentary breakfast is good if George fixes it. When he doesn't work, they have a poor back up. Hotel needs to find someone competent to fill in behind George.

6. Happy hour is well attended and the complimentary drinks are a big hit with the guests, but you might find that the 2 hour happy hour might be only 1 or 11/2 hours since they often ran out of alcohol and had to close up the bar before normal time.

7. Had some problems using the magnetic cards to open door. You had to keep inserting till it recognized your card. This was a nuisance and the office didn't know how to get around it.

8. Most nights the guests come from bus loads of tourists who are connected to some tour groups. They are usually staying for one night and they hit the breakfast counter early and there are times when they run out of tables for guests without sharing with others.

9. The refrigerator in the room is nice and there is a functioning microwave, but don't try to pop a full size popcorn bag since the turntable isn't big enough to move it around and the bag gets caught in one place and the popcorn burns before the bag fully pops.

10. There is a Wal-Mart and Sam's Club within walking distance, if you need items.

Bottom line. This is an okay hotel for short stays. The longer you stay, the more the the above items mentioned might get on your nerves, like they did mine.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member