“Dirty/Unsafe location”

Ranked #35 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Orlando, Florida
“Dirty/Unsafe location”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Non-smoking room reeked of cigarettes. Blood on mattress pad. Told the office and housekeeping came by and picked it up. They put the same pad back on the bed the next morning without washing it. Dirty floor. No drain plug in bathtub. Front desk was nice and check in/out was easy. Did not try the breakfast. Shady people in the parking lot and the police were in the complex twice the first night we were there. I was approached twice by the same man asking for money while unloading my truck. We did not feel safe there and will never be back. There are a lot of other hotels in the area that are better taken care of. Quality Inn execs need to do an "Undercover Boss" visit to this place. There will probably be a lot of people looking for jobs then. Housekeeping very unfriendly. Stay elsewhere!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Saint Peters, Missouri
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here. We have fairly simple expectations. We like the room to be clean. This one wasn't. The last straw was on the second day the bath towels smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. Yuk. Stay somewhere else!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these North Charleston hotels

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I were visiting from out of town and opted to stay at this Quality Inn on 2/24/13 because we are Choice rewards members and have stayed in TONS of Quality Inns and never had a problem. We were expecting the same quality and customer service that we had grown fond of within the chain. This place FAILED to live up to the standard; Not even in the ballpark.
We checked in after 3pm and admittedly, the "check in" process is the only thing that went well. After dropping off our luggage we left and returned later on in the evening took our showers and prepared for bed around 1230-1am. Around 230am I was awakened because I felt like something was crawling on me. I turned the lights on, snatched the covers back and indeed there were bed bugs. I screamed for my husband to look at the scrambling bugs and he also agreed they were bed bugs. I immediately called the front desk to complain and the young lady told me they were booked to capacity (which was a lie, that parking lot was bear) and that it was nothing she could do until the manager got in at 8 and someone would call me. She then said she would send maintenance but no one ever showed. Around 3am I walked to the front desk to show her pictures and video of the bugs and her response was "oh my god, that's gross. Well I made notes in your account for the manager to call you as there is nothing I can do since you paid on your credit card and the manager is the only person with the code." I then informed her we would be leaving as it is unacceptable to think its okay for your guests to remain in inadequate accomodations.

I called back in the morning because the manager had not called me. A matter of that magnitude I expected to be top priority. The manager (Peggy) didnt call, I called HER. I explained the situation and she acknowledged she was made aware, but her only response was, well you stayed, so you aren't getting a refund and she would call the exterminator. How does that help us? What about the fact we had to leave and pay for a better room? Can we at least get an apology and make it remotely seem like you care?. I wasn't expecting a full refund but at least an apology and 1/2 off for the inconvenience would have been good customer relations. I wasn't going to argue as it was clear Peggy would not be willing to put forth the effort for customer service or live up to the QUALITY Inn name. I would give this place negative markings if I could. I will be contacting the Choice Hotel chain customer care. Please visit the photos to see pics of the bed bugs.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank 1lexy2luv
White Lake, Michigan
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times now and it is not too bad for the money. Rooms are clean, staff is friendly, the grounds could be cleaned up a little better, but overall it is not bad. I have stayed in several other hotels in Charleston since my daughter has lived there for 4 years now. I got tired of paying over $100 per night and found roaches in one of the "higher end" hotels. This hotel works good for me since I am in Charleston several times a year.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Upon check-in, my credit card was "swiped" twice, double charging my credit card. After several attempts to have this issue resolved, it remains as an outstanding error. The General Manager is always in a meeting even though the accounting clearly indicates a "double swipe". Do not stay at this hotel. They do not offer ANY customer service once a problem arises. They do offer a headache and a horrible runaround.

Room Tip: Keep looking for a different hotel. Do not stay here.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Check in was a nightmare but once I got to my room I was actually surprised for the price I paid. The room was relatively clean with the exception of the top blankets (which I recommend to always pull back or remove anyway- I worked at a hotel that rarely washed them. Gross!) & the carpet smelled of old mildew. If you're in & out or just need a place for a night & want to save. This spot is manageable. Skip the breakfast!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank akinginsc
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I experience the worst stay @ this hotel. My room had BED BUGS in it. When I contacted that front office the manger came to my room & saw the bugs but he acted clueless to what bed bugs are. Only thing he did was offer another room. That room was okay however the AC ONLY WORKED if the setting was HIGH!

• Stayed August 2012
Red Roof Inn North Charleston
Red Roof Inn North Charleston
#38 of 58 in North Charleston
WoodSpring Suites Charleston Ashley Phosphate
WoodSpring Suites Charleston Ash...
#39 of 58 in North Charleston
Extended Stay America - Charleston - Northwoods Blvd.
Extended Stay America - Charlest...
#41 of 58 in North Charleston
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#1 of 3 in Goose Creek

Been to Econo Lodge North? Share your experiences!