“Cuban fast food”

Pollo Tropical Charcoal Grill
Ranked #101 of 351 Restaurants in North Charleston
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed April 12, 2017 via mobile

Pollo Tropical is a Florida chain so I was surprised to see one in Charleston SC.
The food is very tasty and the cost is low. The chicken was infused in tropical citrus juices and was very tender. The black beans and rice was outstanding. This is a good budget place to eat!

Reviewed April 11, 2017

The high reviews drove us to try this. I just did not see it. The place is a family run operation. The place is a bit stark and is not in a very good strip mall. But the food was tasty but it was not better that a 3 star place for dinner. Service is great.

Reviewed March 16, 2017

Pollo Loko was a welcome surprise. My mother had just finished up some local business, so we were looking for something local that seemed unique, and Pollo Loko fit the bill. It's a little off the beaten path and is definitely a hole in the wall (frankly, those are my favorite kind of places), but the food was satisfying and well worth the asking price.

My mother had the Lomo Saltado, thin slices of steak, cooked with tomatoes, red onions, spices and served over french fries with a side of rice. The amount of food was plentiful and it tasted delicious (the steak itself tasted very similar to a similar steak preparation my Cuban grandmother used to make, minus the fries).

For me, the lengua (cow tongue) taco has kind of become my baseline indicator of any restaurant that has them on the menu. The best I've had are at Real Mexico in Lexington, SC, but these may well be the best I've ever had. The only downside is that the minimum taco order is 5, which means you need a hearty appetite if you're going solo. The lengua was cooked very, very well, soft, juicy and tender, but with a bit of char to the edges of the meat. Each taco was absolutely packed with it. Served with cilantro, diced onion, lime wedges and sliced cucumber, these were the tacos I was looking for. Throw in a cerveza Victoria, and I was a happy camper. The red sauce that was served with the tacos was delicious as well...not as spicy as I was hoping, but very flavorful and a good addition to the lengua, onions and cilantro in the tacos.

If you're in the Charleston area and looking for some Latin American food, this is a great place. I kind of wished I had tried their chargrilled chicken, which looks amazing, but the tacos won't disappoint. You'll need to keep your eyes peeled to see it, because it's easy to miss (I drove right by it, and I was looking for it) as it's in an older, very unassuming strip mall. It won't win many awards for the setting, but the food more than makes up for that.

1  Thank Karyyk
Reviewed February 28, 2017 via mobile

Hole in the wall in a shopping center that is focused on bringing out the Best flavors in the food. Chicken was perfectly Cooked, sausage had great taste and meats were very good. I could close my eyes while eating and imagine myself back down south in Ecuador or Peru, same savory tastes.

Reviewed October 15, 2016 via mobile

I came here to have dinner with my family and It was great! Even if it was in a little run down it was great!