“Nice and clean but no in room refigerator?”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston Airport
Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Hubert, North Carolina
“Nice and clean but no in room refigerator?”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We were in Charleston for the night to visit family. We always try to stay in the Hilton family of hotels so choosing the DoubleTree - Charleston Airport was a no brainer. As usual I looked forward to my warm cookie upon check-in and was not let down. The hotel is very clean and nicely appointed. Nice clean rooms and very comfortable bed. I am a pillow snob, so I won't bore you with how I hate feather pillows. The only surprise was that there was not an in room refrigerator. When we drive anywhere we always take a cooler for drinks and snacks with cold packs. Recharging your cold packs for the drive home is a must. We made it work with an ice bucket.

Overall a nice hotel for the night but that one missing amenity was a little glitch in the whole experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
North Carolina
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Found myself in Charleston with a friend on a last-minute car shopping trip. Downtown Charleston was either booked solid or overpriced. So we we booked online via smartphone using the Hilton Honors app. Upon arrival I was a bit concerned because the area around the property was not the upscale one I anticipated. Within easy walking distance are a Waffle House, Taco Bell, and brake shop, as the DoubleTree is located in a mostly commercial area just off the interstate.

Once I walked in the front door, I breathed a sigh of relief. The spacious lobby featured a nice bar, computer stations, and breakfast area. We were immediately given the signature warm chocolate chip cookies and promptly checked in.

Our room had a freshly modern decor, comfortable carpet, ample electrical outlets, and a large LG 42-inch television.The bed was comfortable with numerous fluffy pillows. The spacious bath featured a tall shower head, great toiletries, and larger than normal towels.

A few improvements could make this property even better. First the lack of a micro/fridge was surprising. I was also surprised the elevator doors looked cheap and institutional for an upscale property, and molding on one was loose. Finally, the complimentary breakfasts I've had at other DoubleTrees were not offered to me, although the complimentary coupons were clearly visible at the check-in desk. But maybe that was a good thing, as we walked to the nearby Waffle House and ate, while other hotel guests waited outside following an 8:15 a.m. fire alarm.

Nonetheless I was very well satisfied with my last-minute pick!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Rockton

Oct. 9 - 20. 2013
We held our USS Grant SSBN 631 Submarine Reunion at this hotel, something we do every two years in different locations and have never had such a great site. Why? Well, the facility is newly redone and that is grand. The rooms are wonderfully sized and furnished and maintained and that is grand. The food and food service staff is terrific and that is grand. But the real success here is the hotel management and staff. They have established a customer first culture that meets and exceeds the finest hotels and resorts we've seen. We couldn't have asked for a more welcoming, cooperative and friendly staff. Our every need and want was either anticipated or quickly satisfied.
Anyone looking for the top of the line site for their event. or just a place to rest and relax for a day or more ...... this is the place. Look no further.
Thank you very, very much.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Irmo, United States
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the DoubleTree. It was my first stay at a Hilton Hotel and it exceeded my expectations. The hotel has been remodeled and looks awesome. The spacious 2-room King Suite provided a large sleeping room and a separate living room area with a work desk that allowed me to do my school work. Each room had a TV which was unexpected but delightful. The bathroom was spacious and very nice as well. I recommend this DoubleTree to others.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Close to restaurants and shopping. Free shuttle to N. Charleston Coliseum. The only negative is I wish they had a shuttle to Historic Charleston; even if we had to pay, it would be cheaper and better than a taxi.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

North Charleston, United States
Reviewed October 24, 2013

In a day in time when customer service seems to lack, you will gladly find it has not affected The Double Tree and its staff. As soon as my family entered the lobby we were greeted & given a warm, delicious, cookie. As a mother with four children I immediately took notice. Our experiences only continued to get better. The room was lovely and amenities offered were well within our budget. I was so impressed by the staff who all were so friendly and offered a willingness to help with every interaction that I had to rave. I attempt to tip Nate, the manager, & he said “If you put your thoughts in a review, it’ll mean much more to me”. Wow, thinking of the company more than himself... just another way he stood out. I almost forgot the food, it was made with love, and it was also great. I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Apopka, FL
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Rooms, food, and service exceed our expectations. Food manager and his entire staff went out of their way to ensure that our every need for the reunion was taken care of. It seemed like they anticipated our every requirement, as when we called for anything we needed they would show up almost as soon as we put the phone down. Highly recommended for individual or groups.

Room Tip: Makes no difference, just select the level you like as all the rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Raymond L
DoubleTree H, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston Airport, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear RaymondL,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. I truly appreciate the opportunity to host your reunion and it is quite satisfying to hear it was such a pleasant experience. I hope you will consider us the next time you make it to Charleston. I will gladly pass along your kind words to the rest of our team.

Michael Estes - General Manager