We picked this motel for a family trip to Charleston due to its reasonable price (they had an advance purchase rate of $52) and decent location for area sights. The reviews for this property are clearly mixed, and I definitely witnessed the pros and cons during our stay.
First, the negatives. The staff displays no Southern hospitality or charm -- yet alone anything approaching initiative. For example, we arrived around noon and, given the hotel's proximity to the airport (about 4 miles), we figured we'd check in and leave our luggage in our room. Despite the fact that there were only 3 or 4 cars in the lot (this isn't the kind of place you'd hang around all day), the front desk said check-in was later and they didn't have a room they could give us. When we returned at around 5 pm to check in, we got a room near the elevator, which makes a loud "binging" noise. We asked for a quieter room but, again, they said rooms were already "pre-assigned" and there was nothing they could do. So don't expect a lot of help with anything from the front desk!
The second problem with the hotel is that the sound-proofing is surprisingly poor for a prettty new hotel, and you are at the mercy of your fellow guests for quiet. This hotel attracts a diverse clientele, and some have better manners than others. On our first night, we were tired from travelling and tried to go to bed around 10 pm. The noise from outside our room was incredible. Fortunately, the noisemakers eventually quieted down and we were able to sleep. Just in case, though, I'd bring ear plugs.
The rooms themselves are very nicely furnished for a mid-priced motel. I found the beds comfortable, but I suppose they're slightly harder than most. Two queens instead of doubles makes it more comfortable for families.
Breakfast, while not exactly good, was probably better than average for a free motel breakfast. There were some hot foods if you're willing to eat sausage patties and cheese omlette-like things, and biscuits and gravy. Baked goods were your typical lower-quality-than-you'd-eat-at-home variety. Waffle maker brought out when they feel like it. Good Seattle's Best coffee and quality teas.
Free wireless in the hotel, and there is a small "business center" with a free printer. Small indoor pool, probably more appealing to kids than adults.
Location next to I-26 is convenient. The area around the hotel is completely soul-less (motels and cheap chain restaurants), but safe. If you're unwilling to pay the elevated prices for "charming" locations in Charleston, this is a good alternative.
Bottomline is that I would stay here again on a discounted rate if it were a better deal than staying elsewhere. No reason to "prefer" the hotel, but no reason to avoid it either.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Best Western Airport Inn and Suites is conveniently located just off Interstate-26 at Exit 209,Ashley Phosphate Road, only six miles away from Charleston International Airport. The Best Western Airport Inn and Suites in North Charleston offers guests many comforts such as free wired and wireless Internet, in room refrigerators and microwaves, 32-inch flat screen LCD television, coffee makers, iron and ironing board and offers different types of rooms and suites to meet your needs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Best Western, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western Plus Airport Inn & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Airport Hotel North Charleston
- Best Western Plus Airport Inn And Suites
- Best Western North Charleston
- North Charleston Best Western