“Spann Family Reunion”

Holiday Inn Express Charleston North
Ranked #24 of 59 Hotels in North Charleston
“Spann Family Reunion”
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Great customer service and support for the entire family reunion of about 20 families. Rooms are great everyone was polite. Great event for kids and great breakfast.
The area had everything that was needed for every age.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I have stayed at many hotels I travel with my job at least 180 days out of the year. I have stayed at Hilton brands, Marriott brands and many others. This hotel is by far the best that I have ever stayed. From the moment you walk in you are given star treatment. I arrived on a busy Friday night and the lobby was full but the ladies working the desk were phenomenal! Very professional courteous and genuine. The rooms are clean and the public areas are also spotless. I had to adjust my reservation to com in on Friday and not Thursday because of work and I missed my "Happy Hour" which i would have appreciated especially after the day i had lol. I read the comment a guest left about the "bad apple" I have to disagree this hotel is wonderful and full of wonderful staff from front desk to even the maintenance guys are friendly. Who has a bad experience because of someone turning on the TV during the Happy Hour? I've stayed at this hotel and other hotels that offer evening receptions and the TV's are always on. I would suggest if you needed a quiet space to maybe go to your room? Had I not stayed at this hotel a few times before i may have seconded guessed staying because of that comment but its for the lack of a better term silly I would have wanted the TV on as i enjoyed my snacks and wine. "Just saying". You wont go wrong with this location it is hands down the best ive ever stayed.

Room Tip: The 4th floor is the best I don't care for people being above me.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Latrell L
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 11, 2014

This is a nice property overall, and I particularly liked the chance to use two different external gyms to supplement the small on on the property. The room and breakfast were as I expected based on other stays at H,I.. Express, and most staff members were very kind and accommodating.

We did have one unpleasant experience. We attended a manager's reception (a nice amenity in theory) one evening of our stay, with a friend who lives in Charleston. We got a glass of wine and sat in the chairs in front of the t.v. (the only lounge-style chairs available). Only one other gentleman was in the room, and he was writing.

The woman staffing the reception came over and without even an "excuse me," put the t.v. on full volume. She turned it down when I gave her a look of bewilderment, but when I then asked if we could just leave it off, she said "nope." It was a very curt and nasty response, and embarrassing to me and my entire party. I asked for her name, and she refused to give it to me and walked away. I went to the front desk and asked for her name. It is Wanda Curtis. She reflects really badly on the Holiday Inn Express Brand, and she would be the one reason I would think twice about returning to what was otherwise a nice place.

If you do go, plan to have the t.v. blaring at every breakfast and evidently, every manager's reception. Wanda did make it a point to tell me that "this is a MANAGER'S reception"--perhaps she really thinks it's intended for her benefit and not that of guests. But I think management intends otherwise and would have been displeased with her negativity.

But as I said in the title, she's one bad apple--but they do have a way of souring a bushel.

Room Tip: The hotel has four floors, and of course the fourth is best if you don't want to hear people sla...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank PaleoBon
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston North, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear PaleoBon,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am pleased to note that overall you liked our hotel. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class customer service. It is our regret that we failed to deliver an outstanding performance during your stay. Kindly accept our sincerest apologies for the unsatisfactory service you received from our staff. We want our guest to have a pleasant and professional experience when interacting with our team member. Your comments has been forwarded to the hotel management and we are confident they will take necessary actions to ensure this incident does not happen again.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We were in Charleston for the weekend and looked extensively for the right hotel. We didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars per night that it cost in the downtown area so we decided on this Holiday Inn Express in North Charleston. The location was convenient, about 20 minutes into downtown and only a few minutes off the interstate. The most important thing for me is cleanliness and our room was very clean and cool. Beds and pillows were comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful, providing us with a map of downtown and making recommendations on restaurants. After our stay we both agreed that the free breakfast was the best we've had at any hotel. Eggs, sausage, gravy, biscuits, fresh pancakes, greek yogurt and the regular breads, cereal, and fruit. This saved us a lot of money as we were able to have a good sized breakfast before going out to sightsee all day. Our room had a refrigerator and microwave which was a nice perk. Oh, and I saw a couple reviews about slow internet but didn't have any problems while doing a few hours of work from our room. Highly recommend for those who want a decent hotel without having to spend outrageous amounts of money.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Teresa L
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed June 26, 2014

The hotel was an older HI Express, but with a friendly staff. Slow Wi-Fi internet, Both the hotel and parking lot are overrun with construction workers staying there and construction vehicles and trucks outnumber autos in the parking lot, There is a Manager's Reception in the evening due to the fact there are no places that sell alcoholic beverages as all the hotels in the area are near a Christian University. The afternoon Manager's Reception was very nice beer, wine soft drinks and snack, until the construction workers that stay at the hotel came in and completely took over the room after work. The hotel must cater to the workers, therefore I would not recommend to families or seniors. We stayed one night and moved across the street to the Fairfield Inn.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Vickie-PBG
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Most wonderful hotel, staff, and value. We had out of towners stay here for our wedding. The staff was so helpful, sweet and attentive to our needs. Even the maitence man had wonderful people skills. Breakfast was great. The pool was clean and well maintained. The rooms were perfect. I cannot say enough how great this hotel is.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank MorganDanielleHale
Raleigh
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We were here for a wedding and had the rehearsal dinner at this Holiday Inn Express.
From the moment we arrived, the staff was helpful and friendly. Tanya the manager, all of the ladies at the front desk and Ray helped to make our stay perfect. Seriously, the nicest group of people I have ever worked with at a hotel. They all went above and beyond. Thank you!
The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable and the shower pressure was wonderful.
They also have an abundant breakfast.
Would recommend and stay again.

• Stayed June 2014