“Worth the visit” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of H. L. Hunley

H. L. Hunley
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Hunley became the world's first successful combat submarine in 1864 with the sinking of the USS Housatonic. After making world history, she mysteriously vanished. Lost at sea for over a century, she was finally found in 1995 and then raised from the ocean floor in 2000. Since then, scientists have been at work to conserve the legendary submarine and solve the mystery of her disappearance. Tours of the Hunley include viewing the Hunley in her 75,000 conservation tank, facial reconstructions of the crew, and interactive exhibits that tell the submarine's fascinating tale throughout the centuries.
Ontario, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Worth the visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

An incredible piece of history a must see for anyone interested in maritime and the Civil War. Staffed by volunteers who are knowledgeable and interested.

Visited February 2013

south carolina
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Really a neat visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

My wife & I really enjoyed the visit to the Hunley Museum at the old Charleston Navy Base. The acoustics in the building are pretty poor, but the tour guide obviously enjoyed his work. The work done on the submarine has been scientifically superb. It is really a visit that is worth seeing and I certainly could return.

3 Thank tgrdvrmd
Brandon, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Poor sound makes for a poor experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

If you are going to have a tour guide, then by all means make it so everyone can hear. I did not understand a word. It was lousy. The tour guide warned of the poor acoustics and he was right. Once the tour started, I didn't hear a thing. Why have a tour if the paying customers can't hear? They need to fix the problem before charging money.

The museum was interesting, but overpriced. Not a place for handicapped people, only access is by stairs.

The road to the museum was terrible, with a poor location.

I would not recommend visiting this place. Buy a book or watch a DVD about it.

Visited March 2013
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“A Weekend Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Very interesting exhibits, informative video and great guide. Then you see the submarine. Amazing. Keep in mind two things: only open on weekends (and I had trouble with the telephone ticket reservation system) and your GPS system may try to take you on a mad tour of the whole area. Get to the main road into the shipyard along the waterfront, turn right and go down to the sign for the Hunley Submarine.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank TJfan
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“A MUST for any Civil War Enthusiasts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Well... I don’t want to berate folks as per their experiences but with all respect - I do not believe this attraction warrants a 1-star reviews only because someone showed up late for the LAST tour of the day and couldn't get in or because "the place was hard to find" (in THIS day & age - with Google directions and GPS that is practically inexcusable)
I had NO PROBLEM finding the place punching the address into my GPS unit. My wife and I drove up to the Lab (yes it IS a functional LABORATORY not a "museum" per se!) on a Saturday morning shortly before the place opened up. yes the overall area looked a bit rundown but we didn't feel that our lives were in any danger and there is a parking lot right by the place (and again to be fair - I've been in places a lot worse than THAT; sometimes when you are on the quest for historical attractions - that’s what happens)
We had, perhaps a 10-15 mins wait and afterwards got in with no problems after paying the entry fee (about $12.00 I think)
The volunteer guide took us up on the platform to see the sub (we could not believe how small it was) and we spent may be 20-25 mins up there. Yes there are no chairs available - deal with it!
Afterwards we went down and saw all the other exhibits arranged on the 1st floor incl. the famous $20.00-gold piece that saved Lt. Dixon's life at Sharpsburg. Educational experience abound and we even got to play as we sat in the life size model from the TNT movie "The Hunley" (see my avatar picture).
There are various souvenirs and clothing articles for sale if one is interested.
If you are a Civil War NUT, like I am - it’s a MUST! if you are a faithful CW scholar - you can't go wrong... I mean you are looking at THE HUNLEY for crying out loud!!! Everyone else have to make their own decisions but as with many other attractions, my humble suggestion is do your "homework" before hands and decide it this one is for you and what are you planning to get out of the experience.
All in all - it was worth the time, money and effort for us.
P.S. Those who suggested to skip the place and see the "full size replica model" in front of the Visitor's Center on Meeting St in Charleston instead - I guess the same mentality will compel one to go to EPCOT or Vegas to claim that one "saw the Eiffel Tower" or "been to Venice". NOT!!! :)

Visited August 2012