Candlewood Suites I-26 @ Northwoods Mall
Ranked #29 of 59 Hotels in North Charleston
Charlotte, North Carolina
“great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The only bad thing is a couple of the washing machines were out but great location next to the mall and alot of great resturants.They had guest socials on wed night's and the staff was great the asst. general mgr kathy was awsome.Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Amy M, Manager at Candlewood Suites I-26 @ Northwoods Mall, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to Kathy. She really enjoys getting to know the guests and does a great job making them feel at home. I'm sorry the washing machines were not working properly but I am happy to tell you that we have purchased new washers and dryers! We hope you will be able to visit us and enjoy the Wednesday night socials with us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Goose Creek, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our house was having some work being done on our house, so we stayed the evening at this hotel. Room was smallish but was equiped with a two burner stove, sink, dishwasher, full size fridge. Kitchen had pots and utensils for cooking. Dishwasher soap was also available in the room. There was also a coffee pot. A work desk and tv also were in the room. The bed was not horrible but it was not the most comfortable I have ever slept on either. It did the job. The room was clean. Would I stay here again, possibly. The room was a bit small for two adults and a toddler. One very good thing is the location to restaurants, movie theater, mall and many shopping.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Shelby, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This hotel may be more suitable for "Extended Stay" guests but for the one night/week-end visitors to the area, I do not recomend it. The hotel location is near Northwoods Mall with several restaurants within walking distance & relatively close to Interstate but beyond that, not too many positives. First impression - You drive behind a restaurant to get into the hotel parking lot. The exterior was very plain/non-descript, almost ugly & the entrance was certainly not cheerful or welcoming. Additionally, there was no portico to drive under to register and/or unload so if it's bad weather (raining, freezing, gusty winds, etc) you are out of luck. Parking was totally unacceptable! We came back late following a concert & there were NO parking spaces available, probably because there were 3 vehicles with utility trailers taking up 4 spaces each! When we went in to find out what to do, we were told these vehicles belonged to "extend stay" guests, but that we (2 ladies) could park down behind the hotel on an old access road, which was pretty dark & area was overgrown bigtime! The friendly security guard assured us he patrolled the area all night (but he was watching TV when we came in). The lobby was really dinky; it did have a TV but only had enough room for maybe 3 people to sit (if you weren't very big & had no luggage). The frontdesk staff were friendly when available.There is no breakfast buffet (given the price, I thought there should at least be sweet rolls & coffee); your food options were the vending machines beside the lobby. Elevators were very slow, but at least they did work. Hallways were well-lit. The room was nothing special, smallish though nice enough I guess: clean, typical hotel decor, usual complimentary toiletries, an "abbreviated" kitchen, free in-room WiFi access, but only has maid sevice once/week. I am not an overly fastidious traveler nor do I demand luxurious surroundings, it's just, well . . . considering the rate/night (no bargain basement price this!) I expected a lot more! All in all, I think you could get way more for your travel dollars somewhere else!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My dog Daisy that almost died one year ago today at the Candlewood Suites in Charleston, SC. The cleaning staff didn't vacuum the room between guests and when my dog & I went into the room, there were prescription pills spilled on the floor. My dog ate them before I could stop her. After over a thousand dollars in emergency vet care, my dog finally recovered but has organ damage. Candlewood suits didn't even apologize. I even had to pay for my room that night! They were completely negligent and no matter who I called with this huge corporation, nobody cared. Beware of the "Pet- Friendly" Campaign

Room Tip: Check the floor. The staff did not vacuum my room from the previous guest. There were prescription...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites I-26 @ Northwoods Mall, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear KMF000001,

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a secure environment. We take comments such as these very serious. Please feel free to contact Customer Care at 1-800-621-0555.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This was my first stay at a Candlewood Suites, a chain I never heard of until business called me to Charleston the weekend of a golf tournament that drove up the prices or sold out my usual hotel spots. Another reason I booked this hotel was because it is pet friendly. Since I was traveling alone, I wanted to bring my miniature schnauzer along. During my 3 night stay I saw several others with their pets as well. Overall I found the area as well as the hotel safe and clean--important to a female like me traveling alone.
This is an extended stay hotel, meaning you won't get daily maid service which is fine because I don't need someone knocking at my door at 8 am to make up my bed. There are free laundry services, just purchase your own detergent. There is also a small 24/7 "store" inside where you can purchase many different food items and charge it to your room on some sort of "honor" system they have set up. Since it's an extended stay, your room has a small kitchen area. Mine had a full size fridge, dishwasher, microwave, and stove top with 2 cooking spots and all relevant utensils and plates and such. Bathroom was clean and cozy, pretty basic and what you'll find in a typical american home.

I only encountered two issues during my stay, and that was my annoying neighbors above my room, stomping around at all hours of the night. Not the hotel's fault, and they were helpful enough to offer me a room on the top floor. The only other issue for me was the way the A/C unit works...it runs (loudly in my opinion) for a few minutes and the room is cool. Then it clicks off completely for about 15 minutes (and its dead quiet), and the room warms up again until it clicks back on. I'm not a A/C expert but I imagine that's the way an AC works, but the rise and fall in temperature and noise was pretty annoying for me. I'm not a light sleeper, but I am picky about my sleep.

Of course I read up on this hotel before booking, so thanks to everyone who posted about the huge holes in the road leading to the front door of this hotel. It was really rainy in Charleston during my visit, and all these holes were filled with water, so it would have been harder to spot had I not expected them. Keep in mind you can go to the right of these huge potholes, and just drive around the other side of the building to avoid them.

Room Tip: I'd suggest a room on the top (4th ) floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Walkertown, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I have been in an extended stay since July 22, 2012. I have enjoyed the stay and the management is professional. However, if you plan to wash clothes while here, be prepared for broken washers. It seems maintenance does not know how to fix the washing machines. The cold water drips into the barrel of a top loader. The other complaint is the parking lot. The entrance has a huge hole approx. 4' dia. and 6" deep. The general manager has been trying to get the funds from corporate to fix the issue but for some reason they are dragging their feet.
The hotel is located across from Northwoods Mall. While staying here you have a free membership to Planet Fitness...in the mall. There are plenty of restaurants but be very cautious of SC drivers.
These people are complete idiots on the road. I have traveled the world and this ranks as one of the worst places I have seen for wrecks. The police are non-present until there is a wreck....three so far at the entrance to the Mall and hotel.
I was awakend at 0300 by a domestic across from my room. That was the only issue I have had with sleep.

Room Tip: 4th floor is for smokers. There is one wing on the 4th for non-smokers. The rest of the hotel is non...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
Falcon, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Traveled to N. Charleston from Tampa 4-7 July 2012 for a family visit in Ladson, SC. I have stayed at 3 other hotel properties in the area and Candlewood is the best by far! Newer, clean, and has all the amenities for a small "home-away-from-home". The movie theater is a 3 minute walk and several great restaurants are also within waking distance (Olive Garden, Outback, Hooters, etc.). The staff is friendly and responsive to you and looks you in the eye when speaking with you. No nonsense here! We will stay there the next time we visit in the North Charleston / Summerville area. (And I did avoid the huge parking lot pothole)!

Room Tip: (I did not use the pool). The high-floor rooms on the backside of the property are very nice. Ask...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family