WoodSpring Suites Charleston Ashley Phosphate
Ranked #40 of 60 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I stayed for 3wks. It was safe,clean, and friendly. From the last time i was here (2011). The place upgraded A LOT. I would stay again with no problem. I would had loved to stay longer. Cause the staff is soo...kind. I love the location. Everything is in walking range.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank playmaker252
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at WoodSpring Suites Charleston Ashley Phosphate, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2015

The Value Place team is glad to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Our ultimate goal is to provide guest with a hospitable environment that is affordable, clean, safe and simple. We are grateful you chose to share your positive thoughts with us and others. We wish you well and cannot wait for you to return!

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I understand that everyone has different experiences especially from reading previous reviews but I stayed for over 3 months from Dec 2013 to Mar 2014 here and was surprised at how well maintained it was considering it is supposed to be on the low side for quality. The bed was adequate, the room was well maintained and best of all everything I needed was there and functional. I had to go to a conference in Columbia and stayed at a Hyatt place and was disgusted to the point that I told the manager that the Value Place I am staying at in North Charleston was better than them! Simply put it's not the Ritz but it offers everything needed for an extended stay and I had a good relationship with the managers as well as the cleaning staff.

Room Tip: If you are staying for longer than 90 days South Carolina considers you a resident and you can have...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Flagg32874
Reviewed January 29, 2014

To keep from rambling on I will hit the serious points...

-Woke me up, and threw me out of my room to allow the bug man to spray. To make it worse, it was "random and routine maintenance" When I suggested they come back after I checked out. It became mandatory, and they beat on my door and insisted I get out, I did.

-Bed reminds me of something the military would put into a barracks, only about 12" wider. mattress on a steel frame, and no box spring. If you have a bad back or joint pain, look further.

-Staff acts like you are in a military barracks. Doing you a favor, you had better behave kind of attitude.

-Sketchy part of town, was threatened by attack if I didn't hold security door open for "tenant" while carrying groceries in.

-Had a package sent to the address, asked about it continuously. Appears they had it returned to sender, and denied they knew what happened to it. Had to have the shipper(original) send it to another address, got it three weeks later.

-24 hour NOTICE to them for checking out! Now who does this? Shady business looking to cash in on every aspect your life, that's who. Saw a guy at the desk trying to get a refund on his $100.00 deposit, he was to late too get his full deposit back, checking out that day. So they charged him a late fee for paying after 11am, he asked to stay another night to mitigate the 24 hour notice and penalty, they told him he would have to stay for two days, because he was to late to give them 24 hour notice for the next day. Just an example of their "hang it in your wallet" attitude. They screwed him and sent him on his way.

-Find some place that respects you as a customer, even if the paint is not as fresh. You will be happier..

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank preflight64
Reviewed July 2, 2013

So... I will start with the positives on this establishment.

It is quite a clean and well maintained business, I will give them that. On site vending and laundry access are most definitely a plus as to the comfort level of the tenants. as far as cleanliness and maintenance upkeep I would have to say that out of a scale of "1-10" , one being unsatisfactory and 10 being stellar I would give this Value Place Northside a score of 9.

Now with that being said, the Manager, Mrs. Shiobhan Lagasca is very rude and "matter of factual" to the employee's and to the clients of this establishment. There have been as of late an influx of employees playing the revolving door game. Many have left on their own accord do to a inability to act and react with Mrs. Lagasca. She has also in the past been extremely rude to my family. She does not grasp the concept of Inner Personal Skills. Being a tenet of this property I believe that there is an actual general consensuses that the employee's and some guest feel the same way about her. If we have a district manager or the some sort that is reading this post right now please consider sending her to a class that teaches interpersonal skills. There have been clients that have left the establishment because of the way in which she conducts her management style. Many of these past clients say they will never come back as long as she is running it the way she does.

For the most part the employees here are nice and respectful, but the manager.....whewh....what can I say.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Liann P
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I don 't usually totally flame a place I stay at, but this establishment deserves it. I am in Charleston SC for an extended time and chose this place to stay at for a 3 month period. I have stayed at extended stay hotels in the past, in Indianapolis and and Las Vegas, So I am familiar with the amenities these establishments offer, basicly nothing in the way of housekeeping. Ok, you accept that. Room cleaning and clean sheets and towels once a week, Not at Value Place, its every two weeks. And if you leave anything on the bed on your house keeping day they will not change the sheets. I found this out, when I came home from the job site and found a form letter on the bed saying "we did not change your sheets because you had personal items on the bed". This "personal" item was an orthopedic pillow I carry because of a neck issue. So, it was a month before I had my sheets changed.
And thats just the beginning, seems every other day or so, they need to come into your room and tape a notice on the television concerning proper disposal of your trash (you take your own trash out to a dumpster) or some other such thing. They will kindly inform you before your room is to be cleaned (with a notice taped to the TV) telling you, "you must remove all personal belongings from the Bathroom area, kitchen area and the bed. I guess, if you want the room cleaned and your bedding changed, you need to load all of your stuff into your car that day.
It gets worse. I left out of the hotel on 1/29/13 at 5:35AM and come around the corner going to my car and I see a person I know as an employee of Value Place peering into the window of the room next to mine. I called out to him, "what are you a peeping tom"? He just about jumped out of his skin and said, "No, I think they are smoking in there". I told him, "that don't give you a right to peep in that window". Stammering, he replied "Oh, well, I think they are dealing drugs". "There is a lot of traffic in and out of there". I have been here for a month and I never noticed any unusual "traffic" there.
Its gets better even. On Friday February 2nd at 9PM I have someone banging on my door. I am on the phone with my wife at the time, I get up and look thru the little thing on the door and see a woman out there I recognize her as someone that works for and lives in the building. I ask her, "what do you want"? She says, "your smoking in there, let me in". I told her, "go away".
I moved out the following morning. I am now at a Days Inn 2 blocks from where I am working. Review to come.
Value Place: Worn out 5" mattress on a particle board platform. No box springs.
Lowest tier cable channels on a small old box type televison. No premium channels.
WiFi available for $10.00 a week.
No cookware or silverware. (You can purchase it there at the front desk)
Rude, impolite desk clerks.
I can go on and on, but this review is already to long.
I can only hope the moderators here will post it. Because, you folks out there need to stay away from this place.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
14  Thank Ray W
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at WoodSpring Suites Charleston Ashley Phosphate, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Value Place prides ourselves on keeping our properties clean and safe for our guests. Part of this includes making sure our guests abide by the property rules and do not smoke in a non-smoking room. We want to ensure a consistently clean and safe stay for each of our guests.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

So have had to stay here while looking for work due to a relocation. The place is clean, SAFE and have had not issues with other tenants/room patrons. Sometimes it can get noisy in the AM with everyone going to work, but overall the place is well kept and the staff while at times is busy and aloof will make sure you are taken care of if you bring it to their attention. Value is true as for $230 a week with tax you can't beat it.

Room Tip: There is no pool or fitness center and you have to rent coffee makers or buy your own.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Heather L, Manager at WoodSpring Suites Charleston Ashley Phosphate, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

We are delighted to hear you that you had a pleasant stay with us! At Value Place you will always receive an affordable price in a cleaner, safer, simpler, and flexible property. We’re about living better through better value and no matter what brings you to Value Place, you can count on a respectful, helpful and friendly team dedicated to keeping the Value Place promise to our guests. Thank you for lodging with us, we wish you well in your future travels!

Reviewed January 26, 2012

My car was parked just three spaces from the front door and it was stolen out of the parking lot. This was Saturday night on 1/21/2012. There are no video camera's on the outside of the building so they are not responsible for any activity, criminal or otherwise, that happens here, but possibly able to help if they catch the activity on one of the camera's inside the bldg. It is ironic that the other two Value Places in Charleston SC have perm. security by armed officers. The young girl who works the front desk during the week is very rude. The weekend girl is more knowledgeable and accommodating. The rooms are clean, but the people staying right above us must have had an elephant staying with them. Noises and terrible smells in the hallways and out front where all the smoker's congregate. My car has yet to be recovered!!!!!! This was not a pleasant experience to say the least.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family