“Awesome food, Awesome taste”
Review of Ethiopian Taste Food & Coffee - CLOSED

Ethiopian Taste Food & Coffee
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Charleston, South Carolina
“Awesome food, Awesome taste”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

The location is not the greatest, but once you enter the restaurant, your greater but the owners, very nice people. The first thing that I noticed, very clean, just that gave me a comfortable feeling, I have had Ethiopian many times in the past and I love it, but not many placeless were that great (other cities in the U.S). This place is awesome, best tasting Ethiopian I have ever had in a long time, I highly recommend it, expect a lot of flavors and tasty food, the way it should be…...

• Visited March 2014

Charleston, South Carolina
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

This restaurant is a great way to take an exotic trip close to home. Yes, it is in a semi-deserted shopping center, but that falls away once you enter and take in the great aromas. The owner was so friendly and helpful. He readily answered our questions about the menu and helped us learn the Ethiopian eating technique. The food was superb. We had the lamb which was tender and perfectly spiced along with lentils cooked in a delicious sauce, a green salad, cooked collard greens and a potato salad on one large platter. Each item had a unique and tasty flavor. There were plenty of vegetarian options on the menu. The food is served with pancakes made of teff flour (gluten-free). The owner explained how unusual and healthy the grain is, and I was able to confirm its benefits with a little research as well. The service was personal and attentive. I look forward to going back soon.

• Visited March 2014
Kihei, Hawaii
“A great place to experiment with new foods”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

A friend and I decided to try something different for lunch. Wow, are we glad we did. We started with a Sambusa lentil for an appetizer - lentils, spices, etc. wrapped in what appeared to be filo dough. Absolutely amazing flavor and it was served with a great dipping sauce that was mildly spicy and yet mildly sweet. I ordered the Beef tibs. The meat was darkly carmelized with onions and carrots. My friend ordered the Chicken Doro Wot. Can't really describe it but wow was it good. All entrees are served with a cabbage/potato side dish, green salad and the most amazing "bread" called Enjera.
The portions are very generous, enough for a to go box for lunch tomorrow! The young lady serving us was so pleasant and helpful. She described each dish and it's decree of spice. She also instructed us in the Ethiopian way of eating with your fingers using the Enjera. We will definitely be back! The next time we will have the ceremonial coffee service. Just don't let the strip mall where this great taste is located dissuade you from trying it out.

Providence, Rhode Island
“Great Exotic Cuisine!”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Also posted this review on yelp and urban spoon because I can't say enough about this great place and feel it deserves to be known! Longtime resident of Charleston, we went today and although we had never had Ethiopian food before, we are fairly adventurous with a love of Indian cuisine and curries, so we thought we would give it a try. When we first walked in, we were greeted by the smell of exotic spices and incense and the very friendly owner who was all smiles and helpful suggestions. We had the kategna for starters, which was amazing fried cheese with chili pepper wrapped in their amazing injera bread (a spongy, sourdough, delicious Ethiopian specialty). I had the doro wot (a spicy chicken dish) and it was out of this world. My dining partner had the vegetable platter and each of the samples was incredible, eaten with your hands by dipping the bread in it. The entire time the lovely owner guided us and provided us with useful knowledge about what we should get, and at the end, we even ordered another serving of doro wot to go! Also, we had a http://restaurant.com certificate, which apparently was invalid, but the owner was so nice that she honored it and took money off our bill anyway. Highly recommend, easy location to find in North Charleston, and well worth the experience and time!

South Carolina
“What a surprise!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I encourage anyone even mildly adventurous in eating out to try this restaurant. Everything about it was a wonderful surprise. Don't let the poorly populated shopping center it sits in dissuade you from entering. The floors are bare, the walls sparely furnished, and the tables are not fancy. The staff is hardworking and very pleasant and helpful, and the meal we had was terrific. The staff explains everything, and the ingredients are mostly known to us Westerners. The spicing and flavorings of the vegetarian sample platter were so good I couldn't pick a favorite, and my husband's lamb dish was also delicious. We splurged on the Ceremonial Coffee (only $8 for up to 5 people), and got a traditional pot of freshly roasted coffee (they even brought out the pot with the roasting coffee beans roasting!) and a burner with incense. Our whole bill was about $35, extremely reasonable for the quality and the experience.

1 Thank LaurieMary