“Best Mexican around?”

La Nortena Taqueria Mexican Grill
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Since 2003 , La Nortena has served as the anchor "authentic Mexican cuisine" restaurant for the historic Charleston/N. Charleston area. The award-winning restaurant, owned and operated by restaurateur Luis Aguirre owes much of its success to our loyal and dedicated restaurant family and to our biggest fans - you, our patrons. Our menu combines traditional central region of Jalisco in the western-pacific area of Mexico. Dishes with authentic house specialties, all prepared with a contemporary twist. Guest favorites include shrimp nachos, fish tacos, ceviche, tacos callejeros, parrillas and specialty margaritas. At "La Nortena" we believe in enjoying a meal from beginning to the end.
Reviewed July 10, 2014

So, La Nortena looks like your run of the mill Mexican joint, but it's actually far better. It follows the traditional pattern, but the menu is authentic, the food is way above average, and they make some excellent drinks. The live music on Friday nights is fun. The tostadas, tacos, and fajitas are among the best you'll find in the region, but I almost always order from the "traditional plates" section of the menu, and the Order al Pastor more often than not.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Overall great authentic tasting food. Huge portions for the money. Mexican music played while we ate and we got five different sauces with our great chips. Looked like homemade tortillas. Mmmmmmmm.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

This is the best mexican food that I have had in a long time. The taste is authentic and the food is more than reasonably priced. The service is great!

Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

Stopped in for a quick lunch and it was very good. Nice to be able to choose meats and sauces for an enchilada plate - not the same old thing. It was delivered quickly and the Al pastor was really good. I've been craving some creamy rice and beans which they delivered with a smile.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

My hubby and I LOVE La Norteña! We discovered it several years ago and go frequently. Although the steak fajitas with chorizo are so delicious that we've had them every time, we decided to venture out last week and try a few new things. I had the Carnitas La Norteña and that is my new favorite dish.YUM!! My mother-in-law had the fish tacos, which she said were very good and my hubby had the Carne Ranchera platter which he liked "almost as well" as the steak and chorizo fajitas. The array of 4 special sauces is wonderful! That said, I still think their house salsa served with chips is one of the best salsas I've ever had!! We all three agreed that the frozen margaritas we sipped were fabulous!! We'll be back with friends this weekend!!