Katsu Japanese Steakhouse
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Rivers Aave/Otranto
Description: One of Charleston's best hibachi steakhouse for over 10 years! We have been entertaining with tricks on the grill to the birthday dances performed. Our sushi is cut to order and artfully presented. Enjoy our friendly- family atmosphere where you can enjoy the accommodations of a full service restaurant. It's always showtime at Yokoso!
Detroit, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
Reviewed July 12, 2014

If you're a fan of Japanese Hibachi and huge portions of food, you will love it here. You get almost 1lb of rice with your email. If you've never been to a hibachi restaurant, it just means your meal is cooked right in front of you on a giant hot plate.

• Visited July 2014

Goose Creek, South Carolina
“Name Change Katzu”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Went for my birthday. We were sat by ourselves in the back, this has never happened before, I thought it was Great. The server was prompt, the Chef was Excellent. We have eaten here several times. I do not think the menu changed with the name change. Nice show and Great Food.

• Visited July 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
“Delish...”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

This is right around the corner from us and we've been wanting to go for months! Four of us went to celebrate my birthday. I made reservations online (fantastic) and was sent a confirmation email. We could not be seated until everyone arrived so sat at bar and took advantage of happy hour with really cheap prices!! We shared a hibachi table which is not unusual.. and had an awesome, very attentive waitress. Customary soup and salad were served, which was good and nothing exceptional. Our chef was "Budda" which most likely is not his real name but he was very entertaining and very talkative which was nice. Note that the rice portion they give you is huge... So don't fill up on it and miss out on your entree! We had filet and lobster which was outstanding! For an extra fee for my birthday...they sang to me, gave me a lei and took a photo that they gave me before we left... I recommend a trip here...we will be back!

Visited June 2014
Bowie, MD
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We went here on Father's Day and had a great experience. We were initially told we would have a 10 minute wait, but it turned out to be about three minutes before we were seated.
Our waiter could have been a bit more friendly (he was very serious and never smiled), but he gave us great service, so I can't really complain about him.
Our chef was... unique. While he referred to my husband and I as 'sir' and 'ma'am', he called our uncle 'Pops', our grandmother 'Mama', and her boyfriend was 'Daddy'. At one point he took his spatula and started slapping it on a pile of rice (as if he was spanking it) and asking 'Daddy' if he remembers what that was like, which seemed a little inappropriate to me. It may have been innocuous, but I found it distasteful, especially considering he had never even asked the relationships among our group.
Other than that the chef was great! He did several tricks that I had never seen at a hibachi restaurant before which we very cool, like making 'fireworks' and 'lava'. The do not put egg in their fried rice, which I found odd, but the heaping pile of rice that they give each person takes up your entire plate. Between my husband and I we had enough to take home and add some egg and veggies to for a full meal. Everyone in our party had the filet mignon and shrimp, and we all thought it was amazing. The filet simply melted in your mouth. The mushrooms they served with it were a little heavy on soy sauce, but if you dunked them in one of their sauces it subdued it. A gentleman in the other party seated at our table had the grouper special and raved about it.
The restaurant itself is very nicely decorated and the hibachi tables didn't have a huge amount of heat radiating off of them like I have found at some other places.
I'd also like to comment on another one of the chefs. While he wasn't at our table, I could see and hear him and he did an amazing job of keeping the kids at his table entertained. He was talking to them about Hello Kitty and Sponge Bob, and always directed their attention at him when he was going to do something cool. I just thought that maybe that is indicative of the way the restaurant trains their staff to be something special for each customer.
Overall, I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited June 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
“Yokoso reopened as Katsu”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Another neighborhood favorite Katsu(formerly known as Yokoso) has reemerged with another delicious choice of Sushi or Hibachi style foods. Many of the same menu items are still available from Yokoso. Kampai!

Visited June 2014