“Birthday Outing with 8 ladies - FUN”

Katsu Japanese Steakhouse
Ranked #180 of 327 Restaurants in North Charleston
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Rivers Aave/Otranto
Description: One of Charleston's best hibachi steakhouse for over 10 years! We have been entertaining with tricks on the grill to the birthday dances performed. Our sushi is cut to order and artfully presented. Enjoy our friendly- family atmosphere where you can enjoy the accommodations of a full service restaurant. It's always showtime at Yokoso!
South Carolina
“Birthday Outing with 8 ladies - FUN”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Enjoyed the restaurant, food and the staff. If you get there in time for the early bird special, you definitely get a lot of bang for your buck.

Visited August 2013

Charleston, South Carolina
“Great Sushi”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I have a date night the 17th of each month and Yokoso has become the regular. The servers are nice and the sushi chefs are always interacting with the customers at the bar as well as throughout the entire sushi dining area. They offer a great menu with a wide variety of rolls and the fish is always super fresh. The servers have even remembered our drink and appetizer preferences!! Lastly, I lost my debit card there one night and one of the employees turned it in. May seem like something small, but it's always a plus to have honest employees. If you're in North Charleston for work and don't want to drive downtown, it's a great place to get some sushi.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Samuel K
Charleston, South Carolina
“Good Food--Offensive Chefs; Won't Return”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We have been to this restaurant three times, and had planned to make it a regular outing, but we will never go back due to an incredibly offensive chef. During the most recent experience, we were seated with two other couples and a mother with her two young children. The chef immediately offended the young mother by asking questions about the father of her children, his whereabouts and parenting involvement, and continued to press, even when it was clear that the woman wanted him to stop. She actually had to ask him to stop.

Later it was our turn. The chef turned to me and my (same-sex) partner and asked if we were a couple. (We were not holding hands, physically affectionate, do not have short hair, not that any of those things should make a difference.) When we said yes, he announced that he didn't have a problem with that. (Why in the world he felt we needed or sought his approval is still beyond me.) That would already have been too much, but he proceeded to launch into a diatribe about how he felt lesbians were all right, but 2 men grossed him out, including a lengthy (and graphic) diatribe about anal sex. It was completely shocking, and completely inappropriate, especially when people were attempting to enjoy dinner and when there were small children present. The other people at the table were equally appalled.

The first time we went here, the chef gave a somewhat bawdy cooking show (offering a diner the rice spatula and telling her to spank the mound of rice and ask it who's your daddy?), but this was on an entirely different level.

The food is good, but portions are inconsistent. We have ordered the same things each time and gotten very different amounts. I have noticed a tendency to give the men at the table larger portions than the women. I don't appreciate subsidizing an unknown man's dinner portion from my share when I am paying the same price. At this price (about $20-25 pp), there are many other options where the food is not served with a disgusting side of homophobia.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank PalmettoDaytrippers
“Poor seating arrangements”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I went to eat with my mother and they cramped us in with a party of 7. We sat where we weren't even able to see the chef. We looked at the older hostess to see if she sat us right and she jus told is this is where we sit. Because I sat this way I did not enjoy my experience. The server and chef were great! They made it a little better. We come in all the time! And this was the second time they squished us in with another big party. If they keep sitting us like this I will start going to Summerville because I have yet to be sat like that over there and the chefs and servers are just as good.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Jessica2190
“Great food pretty bad wait service”
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

This place is great. The food, the cooks, the atmosphere, the show, it's all part of what makes Yokoso great but what keeps it from being amazing is the bad wait staff. I feel like they just hire photogenic white girls for hostess and waiter jobs I may be wrong but its an observation that I have made. Overall great experience and great food but not so great wait service.

• Visited June 2013