North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum and Educational Center
Reviewed January 28, 2013

If your kids like or love anything to do with fire trucks, or emergency vehicles and personnel, this is the place to go! They have a HUGE collection of old, rare fire engines and emergency vehicles. There are also a couple small play areas, and theater/show options. Packed with so much cool information, history, and general knowledge of fire fighting in the Charleston area. Great opportunity to teach young children more about fire safety and what to do in an emergency. Parking is easy, and kids 12 and under are free with paid adult. Don't forget the really cool full size fire truck simulator up front...even adults love this one!

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I visited this museum on a hot and humid day. I can vouch for their air conditioning!! They have an extensive collection of restored fire vehicles, some dating back to the 1700s. There are volunteers who staff the museum who are firefighters. I was trying to channel my inner child, but this place should really be enjoyed with the young man in your life who just LOVES trucks of all kinds, but especially fire trucks. They also have helmets and other items that firefighters wore. There is a gift shop with great things that you can bring home with you. If your kids are bored with shopping at the outlet mall, pop in here for a great visit.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Very cool place for adults and children. Several Hands-On exhibits and you get to ride a Fire Truck Simulator. How cool is that. Nice to see that someone has taken the time to honor some of our Nation's heroes (yeah, it takes guts to run into a burning building). As one who worked with some Fire & Rescue folks on our state's Task Force I have much admiration for them and the work they do and sacrifices they make.

Sort of an odd place to find this museum, but worth the trip. You have to know it exists there, as it is not in a high visibility drive-by location.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

The Fire Museum is located at the North Charleston Visitor Center, adjacent to the Tanger Outlet Center, and houses a collection of American LaFrance fire trucks and artifacts dating back to the mid-1700s. The fire trucks are beautifully restored, and I was amazed at how beautiful some of the early fire trucks were. They are truly works of art. The Fire Museum is also an excellent educational opportunity for both kids and adults. The museum includes a 7 minute presentation about fire safety in the home (excellent), a fire truck simulator, and interactive displays to test your fire safety knowledge. I’ll admit, I probably would not have visited the Fire Museum, if I had not been going to the Visitor Center, but I’m very glad I took the time to walk through the museum. It will take 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on how much you participate in the interactive displays. Admission is $6.00.

1  Thank OUTCRUISIN2610
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We went here because we saw it in a brochure given to us at the hotel we were staying and my boyfriend is a volunteer fire fighter in our hometown. He was like a kid in a candy store looking at all the trucks and changes in equiptment. It was only $6 per person, self guided tour but the staff was always there to answer questions. The staff were very nice and friendly. It was impressive and it was worth it just to see him get so excited, I can only imagine how a child would be.

Travelers who viewed North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum and Educational Center also viewed

North Charleston, Coastal South Carolina

Been to North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum and Educational Center? Share your experiences!