“Nice dinner.”

Fratello's Italian Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Fratello's Italian Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Fratellos Italian Tavern is an American Italian restaurant located in Mount Pleasant in the I'On Community, featuring Italian comfort cuisine with a menu driven by local seasonal ingredients and a homestyle feel. The word Fratello in Italian refers to fraternity or brother. It is this bond that our proprietor Richard Tuorto and Chef Kevin Bruntz had in mind when they shared favorite family recipes to create a unique dining experience.
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Went here last week on Saturday night. We went early (6:00 PM) to try and beat the crowd and it was raining, but I was shocked to go in and find only one table occupied.

We were of course seated right away and the waitress got us water and took drink orders. I ordered a bottle of wine and it came quickly. There were six of us so we ordered several different things. I had the bowl of mussels for my entree and they were excellent.

After we ordered the salads came out quickly and the food did not take long either. Everyone said that their dinner was good and the service was good too. While we were eating several other tables filled up. The place was over half full when we left.

This is a new restaurant and you could tell the staff needs a little experience but they were trying hard. We were very satisfied and will go back.

1  Thank SouthCarolinaPaul

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Ok, So the wife and i wanted to take our friends out to a nice meal and have a good time, Well first the waiter came to our table we ask for water and bread with oil while we looked at the menu, It took every bit of 15 minutes before we seen him again and he brought bread and water and no oil then left and came back a couple minutes later to take our order and left, about 20 minutes later he comes to us and tells us he lost the order and we had to start over from scratch so we reordered and a few minutes later they brought our salads and the three of us that got salads could'nt even eat them as the lettuce was really bitter maybe they used the hart of the lettuce and we never did figure out what caused it. When we told the waiter about the salad he said he would take them off the bill, So at this point we were somewhat disapointed but all agreed that thease things happen so we would stick it out and give them the benifit of the doubt. Now my buddy John had ask for a glass of white wine when we first sat down and it still had not showed up but finally did after the meal arrived which was yet another 20 minutes later. Ahh, Finally The food came and it looked and smelled wonderful! Now, Honestly I don't know what was going on with my luck but i swear i had a big black cloud hanging right over my head or karma was out to get me but i took a bite of my mixed seafood in linguina and red sauce plate and holy crap!!! it was like a blow torch went off in my mouth!!! Well naturally i thought i must have just got a bite where there was a red chile cluster or something so being the guy that loves hot food i thought i can handle it! So one bite after another and i was about six bites in when my buddy John looks at me and exclaims " Are you ok? " Because i had turned beet red) Well i at this point stopped eating and ( thats when the heat really hit !!! ) so i told him how super spicy the dish was and about then the waiter came by and i ask him what was in this dish that made it so hot and he said hot chiles and siracha chili sauce well i told him i thought someone got very carried away with the sauce and even though i tried i just could not eat this meal. Ok, So now we decieded that he would take the dish back and bring me a plate of spaggetti instead which he did and i suppose it was pretty good but really couldn't tell as i was still on fire when he brought the bill... So anyway in a nutshell when i looked at the bill the next day i found that he still charged us for the salads and made no adjustment at all for the royal screwup with my meal that i couldn't even eat and then chargrd for two glasses of wine when my friend only had one! OK, Just one question, Why would a athentic Itailin resturant use Asian chili sauce in a pasta dish?
It's olive garden from now on~

2  Thank ridinx
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Ok, I will try to be nice as I have been in food and beverage myself for 14 yrs (not as wait staff) but as director for many resorts. We were a table of 4. The atmosphere was great and the music was terrific. Was a nice sounding system and the acoustics were great felt almost romantic with Sinatra in the background. The server was nice but needs finishing, a little rough around the edges I felt. The supervisor/Mgr was also in need of finishing.

I will not get into those details as they are not important as much as what I am eating. My bill was $81 (My wife and I) and the food was barely OK. I Ordered the calamari which came with this hot peppery roulade concoction on top, totally destroying the breaded calamari flavor which here is the most important part was "SOGGY" in a bad way.

I had linguini and clams which were just ok, tasteless and lacking flavor. The clams around the edges may have been fresh (very tiny) but they had placed a bunch of rubbery canned chopped clams in the middle; this killed the dish along with the amount of juice sitting in the bowl. I had never seen so much broth; they should have provided a spoon. This would have been fine for someone who likes to dip bread, but this was way over the top.

My Biggest Issue: I had ordered two alcohol beverages straight. And these tasted watered down. As a matter of fact I was able to drink it like water, my wife agreed and she does not like straight alc. I had ordered a Grey Goose then purposely ordered a lesser quality vodka and the results were the same. I have come across crooked places before throughout my career; I hope these are not doing the same.

My wife felt the same about the calamari. Don't bread it if you are going to soak it. Her masalla was chunky yet crispy onions in the thick gravy sauce did not appeal to her. I am guessing the onions were cooked to long.

The Crème Brule was very good, not because it was on the house because it was actually. Never did understand why they did that. We did not complain to them about anything. I did mention that there was a lot of juice in my dish and that my drinks tasted watery, but not in a complaining way. But thank you anyway.
I would go back for the crème Brule and a coffee.

My other two friends, I will leave up to them to write theirs.

Bottom line, this is a new place, needs to work out bugs and a little finishing. Train staff and watch food coming out. I think the owner was in restaurant as there was a lot of traffic to his table, wait staff, bar staff and kitchen staff, constantly up and down. We found this to be very distracting. Have your meetings out of dinning hours.

Certainly not the best in Charleston, area

You should not be deterred by this review. Try it; I could have just had a bad night. Everybody’s tastes are diff. These are just my thoughts.

2  Thank franklin2015
Reviewed January 2, 2013

If you were familiar with the old "Aunt Bea's" space in park circle, then you will not believe your eyes walking into Fratello's! The atmosphere is intimate, somewhat romantic, and upscale but still feels cozy and comfortable for an evening meal. Outstanding service, dishes and wine. As a Park Circle Resident we are happy to welcome this awesome addition to our neighborhood!

1  Thank ESP8_CHS
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Drove from West Ashely to N. Charleston and the service and food were great. We ordered the night's special salad and the 4 of us shared it. Fresh and delicious. The Calamari was served differently than we had ever had before but the waiter had described it so we were aware. The portion was good for 2 people. Our entrees although not too original were very good and the portions were large. Our waiter was helpful in describing the dishes we were ordering and very attentive. Prices are reasonable. We were seated at a nice large booth, tables are not crowded. There was a large bar where you could also eat.