“YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Dined at Nigel's for the first time this week. The menu is definitely soul food - it may be good for the soul but not good for the waist. The geechie wings are fabulous. My friends all opted for meat and 3 and we shared samples - meats were good and well prepared (fried). The collard greens and cabbage were great! Mac & Cheese was OK and Fried rice and beans were marginal. I ordered the Low Country Ravioli - it was awesome - cheese filled pasta in a cream sauce that contained all sorts of delicious southern nibblets.

The staff couldn't have been nicer. The atmosphere is casual and a bit crowded but my guess is that they'll be outgrowing this space soon if they have the desire to expand.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

So glad we found this place. Nigels is located in a strip mall, and its a small restaurant, but if you can get over that, you'll get a really great meal. We started with the geechie wings, which were awesome!!! Amazing flavor ... definitely finger lickin good. I had a platter with fried whiting, fried shrimp collards and mac and cheese. All delicious. Hubby had the gumbo which had some kick to it, but was so good! We stuffed ourselves and even though we were full, we had to try dessert. Bread pudding and peach crisp. Both were good, but if you had to choose one, go for the bread pudding. Service was great. A little slow, but this sort of dining experience needs to be slow. Expect to take your time and not be in a rush when you get there. Everyone was so friendly ... even the owners will stop at your table and ask how you enjoyed the food. We will definitely be back!

Reviewed September 22, 2013

My mother and I opted to stay overnight in Charleston before departing on our annual "Ladies Cruise" aboard a Funship. We lucked up and stayed in a fabulous hotel, but even better we dined at Nigel's! The geechie wings were to die for and our shrimp and grits were phenomenal! This is authentic low country and soul food and you're best off coming with a huge appetite! One last surprise...our waiter listed the drinks and I opted for the peach koolaid (yes, that's right...koolaid) since I hadn't had a glass in some 10 years and I generally prefer water or sugar free options! This was the best darn koolaid I ever tasted in my life! Perfect start to our vacation overall! Nigel's will be my go to restaurant whenever I'm in the area!

Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Ordered the salmon and shrimp with coke slaw and mac and cheese. Comes with hush puppies. A lot of food and it was all good. Was wishing I didn't get filled up so quickly because I wanted to eat it all! Got the pecan pie to go, and a few hours later wanted to try just a bite, still full, but it was so good ended up eating most of it. Used a restaurant.com certificate which made it very reasonable for the amount of food! Friendly staff.

1  Thank wynterwed
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I asked the hotel staff to recommend a soul food restaurant and enthusiastically everyone recommended Nigel's. I was not impressed. The food was average to below at best. I ordered the pork chops with mac n' cheese, greens and cornbread. I was told I was getting three pork chops with the order. I was pleasantly surprised until I received my plate. It was three chicken finger type cutlets. I would have been ok with it if I were told that up front. The greens were more stalk and less greens. The mac n' cheese was dry and so was the cornbread. Also, I have NEVER dined at a soul food place that does not offer "sweet potatoes/yams". They were out of a specialty non-alcoholic drink at early in the day. The restaurant was in a strip mall and it felt like I was in a restaurant in a strip mall. I would not recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank JazzFan23