“Weekend Get Away”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lexington, NC
“Weekend Get Away”
Reviewed September 7, 2009

My husband and I wanted to visit the Charleston area for the weekend. We will be sailing out of Charleston on a cruise in November and we wanted to visit so that we could become familiar with where to go. We stayed in North Charleston due to the higher hotel prices in Charleston and the Mt. Pleasant area. We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn due to its excellent location (Interstate was very close by-getting us to Charleston and Mt. Pleasant within minutes) The hotel was very nice and the rooms were clean and very functional. (I did not like the pillows, but bed were ok) . The staff was very nice and greeted you with a smile. The hotel was very close to restaurants and Tanger Outlet Mall. The hotel does serve breakfast and dinner which is not free-we ate elsewhere so I can not comment or tell you what they serve. They did serve free cookies and coffee in the evenings. We enjoyed our stay in Charleston and we are planning to stay a day before our cruise sets sail to enjoy more sightseeing.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Wichita, KS
Reviewed August 20, 2009

I just stayed one night while in town on business. The hotel is nicely furnished and seemed pretty new. The room as well as the bathroom was very clean. They were both updated with granite counters and the room even had a flat screen television. I ordered room service and the food was great. The breakfast buffet was great as well. My only complaint, really, was that the room did not cool down as much as I like. But, I like to sleem in a meat locker. Overall, a great stay. I will be staying here again the next time I am in town.

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank GT6
WF, Texas
Reviewed March 17, 2009

I was very pleased with the hotel and its staff, and I especially liked that several amenities were free. There was free full breakfast (although I'm not sure that comes with every room), free high speed internet and printing, free water in the refrigerator, and fresh-baked cookies every day. The room and hotel were clean and the staff accommodating. I would recommend it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
georgia
Reviewed February 22, 2009

We had a 2 queen bed suite and got a great rate. It was very spacious for our family and clean. We enjoyed our stay here and the staff was very helpful. There is not much near the hotel in terms of good restaurants. There is a good bit of shopping a ways down. It's a bit of a drive into the historic district of Charleston, but worth it for the price and the space.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed November 19, 2008

The hotel is new and clean, but if you like to have your rooms cooler than 68 degrees than choose another hotel. Also, there are restaurants and an outlet mall very close, but don't expect shuttle service. I stayed 5 nights and it was overall a good stay (except for being comfortably cool).

• Liked — Walking distance to convention center
  • Disliked — shuttle service, ability to adjust cooling to my comfort
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Onceinalifteime
San Jose, CA
Reviewed August 2, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a week on business. My (mini) suite had plenty of room to spread out. The furniture in both the living room and bedroom were very comfortable and in good repair.

The housekeeping service was quite thorough and I loved the fact that the room had a fairly large stall shower instead of a tub/shower combo, which seems to be rare but gaining in popularity.

The lobby area was comfortable with a TV/sitting area that I used a couple times when I returned to my room in the early afternoon a little before housekeeping had a chance to visit. Not an inconvenience at all.

My guess is that the property was probably built during the first round for this chain based on the decor, but is still in decent shape in the common areas and rooms.

The Great American Grill had decent breakfast buffet service the couple times I tried it. The evening room service was quite fast, but the menu could use with just a bit of review for more variety. There are plenty of restaurants near by within a 3-5 minute drive with a couple places (Chili's and Wendy's) within walking distance.

There were a couple bouts of downtime on the internet service, both wired and wireless, but they seemed to be resolved fairly quickly and the staff was apologetic though the issue was obviously out of their direct control.

If you're going to spend all your time near downtown Charleston, you might find this location a bit out of the way. I enjoyed the 10-15 minute drive into the city with little traffic.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank heyhobbes
North Carolina
Reviewed June 29, 2008

This hotel is connected by Skywalk to the convention center and Embassy Suites...which is where the conference was that I was attending. The Skywalk walk was nice...good exercise and relaxing.

The hotel itself was forgettable and run down. The staff were mediocre. The last night that we were there, the fire alarm went off four different times with little to no apology from the staff. Needless to say, we were extremely tired the next morning and had a huge presentation to give...we were not happy. The hotel told our company that they would reimburse us for the last night of our stay...I can't say if they did or not as I don't handle the travel accomodations or the accounting for our school, but in the hotel's defense, they did offer at the time of check out.

The only surprising thing about this hotel was the awesome breakfast. I read a few other reviews telling that the breakfast was less than good and mediocre and even horrible. I loved it...probably right up there with some of the nicer Embassy Suites' breakfast offerings. The hotel gives you a card and that is your meal ticket...I lost mine, and they did give me a new one. Eggs, bacon, grits, biscuits and gravy, hash, omelets....a southerner's artery clogging delight!!

The pool area was dreary and the hot tub was ok. The business center was usually open and not full. They have about 5 computers available.

The rooms are very forgettable and the beds were not that comfortable. It was also hot in the room...we kept attempting to cool the room and it seemed as if the AC would kick off.

All in all....a forgettable experience but, I didn't have to pay, so who am I to complain??!!

Tip....There is a small bar in the shopping center/outlet across from the hotel called Centre Pointe Bar and Grill. We had a ball there. The band was excellent and they even sang and danced with our group in front of the stage. This is a very diverse bar...very multicultural and no tension...everyone from all types of different backgrounds and different looks were getting along....almost a rarity in a bar scene. There is pool, live music, lots of nice drinks, and friendly people...jazzy hip environment.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — The fire alarm, not that close to the markets, dreary hotel
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business