“More than expected”

Ranked #22 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Columbia
“More than expected”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel to attend a debutante ball in the area. The hotel was very clean and beautiful. They had complimentary breakfast that was really good. They also had courtesy computers for your use if needed. It was graduation time for the university located in close proximity but I didn't hear any guess being loud or wild. That is a plus.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Katie R, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/University Area, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to share your review with other travelers. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and all the amenities offered. We hope to see you next time you visit the Charleston area!

Thanks for choosing the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Charleston North/University Area!

Yours in hospitality.

Katie.Register@marriott.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Vancouver, WA
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I spent 5 nights at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North last week seeing family who live in the Goose Creek area. The price was right with our AARP discount and it has easy access to the highway. The lobby and rooms are nicely decorated, the bed was very comfortable, and staff was friendly. Even though it's next to some fast food restaurants and a highway, the room was quiet.
We might stay there again except for some negatives. The room was small and cramped even with just two people, so if we stayed again I would pay the extra get the larger room size. Warning...the housekeeping staff sprays the rooms with a perfume scent to "freshen" them but it was very strong causing us to open windows each night to air it out. We left daily notes asking them not to spray the room, but you could still smell it. Anyone with an allergy to scents would not be able to breathe or stay in these rooms.
Housekeeping was inconsistent: Every day there was something not replenished: face wipes, kleenex, bath mat, and on our last night there were no linens in the bathroom. We knew housekeeping had been in because they took the note I had left, made the bed, and took the old towels away. We got back late evening, and I had to go down to the front desk to get towels, bath mat, etc. The desk clerk didn't act surprised, but did get me towels. I asked if she wanted my room number, and she said no. On my way back down the 2nd floor hall another guest saw me and said their room also didn't have bath linens, so she was headed to the front desk. I might mention that the towels are pretty thin.
The breakfast bar had quite an assortment of foods including scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, waffle maker, etc, but after going down the first two morning to a crowded small area with little seating and some of the food items not being replenished (bread for toast, hot water, fruit, instant oatmeal), we ended up going to a restaurant for breakfast the other days. When we return to the Charleston area we will probably stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get the expanded room with more space, and maybe away from the street side. We did hear some traffic...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Katie R, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/University Area, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Colt123,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such valuable feedback. Our guests are of the utmost importance as we constantly strive towards service excellence and complete guest satisfaction. It is with regret that I hear that you had several issues with housekeeping. Could you please email me your name and the dates that you stayed? I would like to investigate further into this matter as this is unacceptable. We take our guests' requests and feedback very seriously and apologize that we fell short on this. Also, I do apologize for the shortages at breakfast. During busy times, the kitchen staff tries their hardest to replenish the food at a fast rate and I apologize that we did not meet your expectations.

I would like to welcome you back so that you can experience the true award winning "Fairfield Inn by Marriott Charleston North/Univ. Area" experience. I can promise that you will not be disappointed. If I can be of any assistance in the future for reservations, please be sure to email me at the address below and I will personally make those for you!

Thanks for choosing to stay with us, and we hope to see you again!

Katie.Register@marriott.com
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We are frequent Marriott Rewards Members but not wedded to the company. This time we needed a location close to a funeral for a very close family member. We traveled by car from NYC and weren't in the mood for surprises. This Fairfield Inn fit the bill! The front desk was amazing particularly Susan from Ohio who checked us in. The hotel was clean, rooms appointed nicely and conveniently located to a variety of places to eat. After a long trip a priority is a comfortable bed and this location provided one. we only stayed one night but if I were planning a longer to visit the area under happier circumstances and I would easily consider staying here again. I highly recommend this affordable lodging.

Room Tip: King Suite is a bit small but quite functional
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Katie R, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/University Area, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a kind review. Please accept our deepest apologies for the loss of your loved one. Our thoughts are with you and your family at this time. I will make sure to pass on your kind comments to our staff. Thanks for choosing to stay with us, and we hope to welcome you back next time you are in the Charleston area.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We chose this hotel because of the location (right beside tanger outlets, restaurants, and stores) After staying the previous night at a local motel, this fairfield was heaven. Staff was very friendly, beds were perfect, the rooms were very clean and the breakfast was better than most other hotels I have stayed at. I will definitely come back here again. The management is doing a superb job of keeping everything order.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for the kind words. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in the Charleston area!
Ohio
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I really like this hotel. I stayed here twice both times for a funeral. The hotel is nicely decorated and very clean, which is extremely important to me. The staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast is pretty good too. I will always stay here when in the Charleston area and will definitely recommend it!

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words. We are so sorry to hear of your losses. Our thoughts are with you and your family. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in the Charleston area. Thanks for choosing the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott.

CONWAY
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel by default because we could not get accomodations at our usual hotel close to our son's university, but what a surprise. this hotel is neat and smells very clean. The beds and rooms were large and could accomodate everyone in our party. We were quite pleased and even though we had booked at a higher rate online, when we checked in and told them we were staying there to attend a football game at Charleston Southern University, the nice young lady at the front desk canceled the higher price and gave us the University associated rate which was $20 cheaper. They also have a pretty good breakfast buffet and all the staff we encountered were very nice. We definitely will stay there again.

Room Tip: There's a hamburger restaurant right in front of hotel, so if you don't want to smell food o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Katie R, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/University Area, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Our close proximity to Charleston Southern University makes it a great stay for families visiting their loved ones at the college. Thanks for choosing to stay with us, and we look forward to seeing you next time!
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The one and only thing we did not care for was the overwhelming perfumed smell inside the hotel. If you have odor sensitivity you may want to avoid this fine establishment. Although it was very clean, updated and hospitable, upon entering our room we were overwhelmed with a too-strong soap smell which did not dissipate over the course of our 3-night stay. We got accustomed to it,

Cannot say enough about the friendly, helpful staff. From the housekeepers to the manager, all were excellent hosts.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Katie R, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/University Area, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thanks so much for the terrific review! We are so pleased to hear you that you enjoyed your stay. Please do not hesitate next time to let the staff know if you are uncomfortable with something. We would have been happy to move you to a different room! Thanks for staying with us, and we hope to see you soon!