“Very well kept hotel!”

Ranked #22 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Very well kept hotel!”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Very close to Northwoods mall and the town of Goose Creek without being in the madness of holiday shopping and traffic. The hotel is quite a few years old but is so well kept it looks like its newly renovated. Good job to the maintenance and housekeeping staff.
Very very kind young lady at the Front Desk at check-in on 12/22, certainly excuded holiday cheer!
Breakfast the next morning was interesting. Came down around 9:30am and it was obvious the buffet had been run through heavily. The breakfast attendant stayed in the back area with the door open most of the time I was there, busy talking with who I believe was the Manager On Duty. Most of the conversation had to do nothing with work, but wasn't inappropriate, just thought there were other things that needed to be looked after from what I could tell.

Now to the reason I can only give 3 stars and not 5. Housekeeping made one of the biggest mistakes you can make. I had a Do Not Disturb sign on my door. Not just on the handle but physically inserted into the key slot (this type of sign was designed to either hang or be inserted). Also for security I always deadbolt and also move the slide lock (the modern version of a key chain lock) into place. Around 9:30AM while I was in the shower I thought I heard a knock at the door but assumed it was for next door. Then I hear the sound of a door hitting something hard (this was the slide lock). I still questioned myself because there's NO way housekeeping would remove the Do Not Disturb sign and still try to enter my room. When I opened the bathroom door it was obvious someone had attempted to enter my room. This was VERY upsetting because a Do Not Disturb sign is nothing to be ignored and there are procedures in place for all hotels (housekeeping NEVER is to knock, they contact the front desk to verify if the room has checked out or not AND the Front Desk is supposed to call up to the room to verify). When I told the Front Desk of this issue she was apologetic but seemed to shrug it off.
Shame how ingnoring a basic Hotel 101 rule can all but ruin someone's impression of a great property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We had the standard Fairfield Suite at this property and as per usual, it gave us everything we needed. Fridge, Microwave, and a separate room to watch TV. If you land at a Fairfield that is well maintained ( which is the norm) - and this property was great - then the Fairfield Suite is one of the best hotel values around. This is a really great hotel in a really good location - close to everything. Excellent staff as well - you won't go wrong staying here. The drive into Charleston (and over the Ravenel bridge as well) was simple and we saved lots of $$$ staying in North Charleston. Don't let the distance deter you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband and I spent two nights in Pawleys Island, SC for my cousin's wedding and added an extra day onto our trip so that we could visit Charleston. I chose to make a reservation at this Fairfield Inn because it wasn't overpriced like most of the downtown hotels and I've had good experiences at Fairfield Inns in the past. I originally booked through the Marriott site, but then I found a better deal through an aggregate, so I booked through them and cancelled the original reservation. (I paid a total of $89.90 including all taxes.) We were driving back to DC the next day, so we honestly just needed a place to lay our heads.

Check-in was quick and efficient. I must say that when I entered the hotel I wasn't crazy about the decor. I don't know what it was, but the colors didn't seem too inviting. The same feeling transferred into our room. While everything was clean and updated, I just didn't feel as "at home" as I have in other hotels and other Fairfield Inn properties.

We went to sleep pretty much as soon as we arrived. In the morning we took advantage of the adequate breakfast and were on our way.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights and it was great.

The room was clean, comfortable, and the bed was awesome. It was also a fairly quiet hotel, and considering our room was right next to the lobby we were a little worried but it turned out fine.

The location can't be beat with shops, restaurants and freeway access all close by. There is also a. "Marketplace" in the lobby that sells snacks, drinks, first aid, etc. if you forget anything or need anything.

The free breakfast was also one of the better continental breakfasts we have had. Fresh, wide selection including Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches, waffles, scrambled eggs and more.

Overall a great stay. We were impressed and we will be back.

• Stayed October 2012
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I booked this hotel with a little reservation as I have never been to this part of Charleston before. I was traveling to see my son at the Navy base in North Charleston and he told me to check into this hotel. I have to tell you that it was a wonderful place to stay. I booked an executive suite as my son was going to stay with me. It was a very nice room with great style. It was obvious that the hotel kept good care of this room as it was clean as a whistle. My son slept on the pull out sofa bed and he said that it was very comfortable. He is 6"3 and requires some room. It had a small refrigerator with a coffee pot and I used both. The bathroom is pretty big and the shower was clean. I could tell that the tub had some age on it but overall was in good condition. We traveled back and forth to the base and it was a snap to get there. If you are traveling to see your son/daughter at the base I would recommend this hotel highly. They do offer military discounts and the check in was super easy and the check out even better. The staff at the hotel was wonderful right down to the the gentelman who was cleaning the floors. They always gave you a hardy hello and have a wonderful night. The ladies who cleaned my room did an excellent job and were also quick with a greeting. I didn't feel at all that my belongings were not safe to leave in the room. The little cafe for breakfast had a great selection and attendants to take care of whatever you needed. Nice sitting area for you to watch TV or just relax. They also offered a business center with computers if you needed that option. Overall a wonderful and relaxing stay.

Room Tip: I asked to get the executive king suite and am very glad I did.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Katie R, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/University Area, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your lodging experience with other travelers. Congratulations to your son on his accomplishments. We appreciate his service to our country. You must be one very proud mother!

Thanks again, and we hope to see you again in the near future!
Greenville SC
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I did thorough research for a place to stay in the Charleston area and this hotel was by far the most consistent in traveler reviews - and those reviews were 100% spot on.
Our experience was fantastic from check-in (Lauren at the front desk was extremely helpful and accommodating) to check-out.
The property is extremely clean and well decorated and the King-Suite room was immaculate with very comfortable bedding.
Breakfast, per the reviews, was fantastic with many choices from made-to-order waffles, scrambled eggs, and sausage to fresh muffins, bagels and fruit.
It's located in North Charleston (away from the busyness of downtown) but it's an easy 15 minute ride to get to the action.
Overall a great stay and will definitely stay again when in the Charleston area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. We are so happy to hear that you had such a wonderful stay. I will make sure to pass on your kind comments to Lauren. She is a true asset to the hotel and our guests. Thanks for choosing to stay with us, and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

What can I say this is a great hotel that is clean and nice. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The pool is convenient and clean, the fitness center is great and the breakfast is perfect. There are many restaurants near by and it is conveniently located to the naval weapons station.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank TheFoodCritic505
Katie R, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/University Area, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear TheFoodCritic505,

Thanks very much for your kind words. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. We strive for excellence and to keep our guests happy while they are away from home. We would love to see you next time you in are in the Charleston area. Please contact me at Katie.Register@fowlerhospitality.com if you would like me to personally set up your reservations. We hope to see you soon!

Yours in hospitality,