“I highly recommend this hotel for Navy parents!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/University Area
Ranked #22 of 60 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I booked this hotel with a little reservation as I have never been to this part of Charleston before. I was traveling to see my son at the Navy base in North Charleston and he told me to check into this hotel. I have to tell you that it was a wonderful place to stay. I booked an executive suite as my son was going to stay with me. It was a very nice room with great style. It was obvious that the hotel kept good care of this room as it was clean as a whistle. My son slept on the pull out sofa bed and he said that it was very comfortable. He is 6"3 and requires some room. It had a small refrigerator with a coffee pot and I used both. The bathroom is pretty big and the shower was clean. I could tell that the tub had some age on it but overall was in good condition. We traveled back and forth to the base and it was a snap to get there. If you are traveling to see your son/daughter at the base I would recommend this hotel highly. They do offer military discounts and the check in was super easy and the check out even better. The staff at the hotel was wonderful right down to the the gentelman who was cleaning the floors. They always gave you a hardy hello and have a wonderful night. The ladies who cleaned my room did an excellent job and were also quick with a greeting. I didn't feel at all that my belongings were not safe to leave in the room. The little cafe for breakfast had a great selection and attendants to take care of whatever you needed. Nice sitting area for you to watch TV or just relax. They also offered a business center with computers if you needed that option. Overall a wonderful and relaxing stay.

Room Tip: I asked to get the executive king suite and am very glad I did.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Katie R, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/University Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your lodging experience with other travelers. Congratulations to your son on his accomplishments. We appreciate his service to our country. You must be one very proud mother!

Thanks again, and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I did thorough research for a place to stay in the Charleston area and this hotel was by far the most consistent in traveler reviews - and those reviews were 100% spot on.
Our experience was fantastic from check-in (Lauren at the front desk was extremely helpful and accommodating) to check-out.
The property is extremely clean and well decorated and the King-Suite room was immaculate with very comfortable bedding.
Breakfast, per the reviews, was fantastic with many choices from made-to-order waffles, scrambled eggs, and sausage to fresh muffins, bagels and fruit.
It's located in North Charleston (away from the busyness of downtown) but it's an easy 15 minute ride to get to the action.
Overall a great stay and will definitely stay again when in the Charleston area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. We are so happy to hear that you had such a wonderful stay. I will make sure to pass on your kind comments to Lauren. She is a true asset to the hotel and our guests. Thanks for choosing to stay with us, and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

What can I say this is a great hotel that is clean and nice. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The pool is convenient and clean, the fitness center is great and the breakfast is perfect. There are many restaurants near by and it is conveniently located to the naval weapons station.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank TheFoodCritic505
Katie R, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/University Area, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear TheFoodCritic505,

Thanks very much for your kind words. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. We strive for excellence and to keep our guests happy while they are away from home. We would love to see you next time you in are in the Charleston area. Please contact me at Katie.Register@fowlerhospitality.com if you would like me to personally set up your reservations. We hope to see you soon!

Yours in hospitality,

Katie Register

Reviewed August 10, 2012

The title reveals the only problem I encountered with my stay. The design of the room, along with the layout of the furniture, resulted in a very tight space coming from the entry hallway into the sleeping area. The built in furniture jutted out into the hallway resulting in a space of about 2'. This wouldn't present a problem with one person in the room but with two in the room you had to ensure that only one person was in the area at a time. You certainly couldn't pass each other coming and going to the bathroom or leaving the room.

Otherwise the room was fine. It was fairly tight (probably 12 ft by 13 ft) but had space for the king bed, two small night stands and a small easy chair along one of the walls. The dresser, desk, micro/reefer stack were opposite. The bed was comfortable and the AC worked fine so I slept comfortably each night.

Breakfast was very good. I have noticed a trend where Fairfield Inn's are expanding to include hot items. I mentioned the great breakfast to the staff and was told that they had been serving a hot breakfast for over a year. They had scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy (very good BTW) and either bacon or sausage each morning. My favorite was the sausage. I'd have liked to have had Raisin Bran or cooked oatmeal as they only had the instant packages. Regarding cereal, I noticed that they had gluten free flakes. This is something I have never seen at a Fairfield before and I was very impressed. I am certain this is significant to those who can't digest gluten. Coffee was a little on the weak side but I find that a lot at Fairfield's. They did have all the various flavors of creamers I have come to expect so that was nice.

The breakfast, housekeeping and front desk staff were all very friendly and pleasant. I can highly recommend this hotel. I'd have gone for an excellent rating but the layout and size of the room stopped me.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AGoingGal

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. I regret to hear that the room was smaller than you anticipated, but am happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay! Please contact me at Katie.Register@fowlerhospitality.com and I will personally make your future reservations. I will be more than happy to offer you a complimentary upgrade for your next stay into one of our executive king suites. Thanks again, and we hope to see you soon!

Yours in hospitality,

Katie Register

Reviewed August 7, 2012

This hotel was very nicely updated. One thing that stood out to me was how friendly everyone who worked there was. The front desk lady suggested a great place for us to eat the first night we were there and was very friendly. But even the housekeepers were very nice when seeing them in the hallway. If I ever go back to Charleston, I will definately keep this hotel in mind.

Room Tip: Chose the king suite if you can. It wasn't that much more money but the roominess was definatel...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank tiffanyghart
Katie R, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/University Area, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with other travelers! We take pride in our staff and are happy to know that you were pleased with everything. Thanks again, and we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed July 31, 2012

This renovated Fairfield Inn was very nice and I loved the colors they used to decorate the rooms and the lobby. The room was very clean and comfortable. The location was great. Close enough to every place we visited. The hotel was quiet too. The pool was too warm to enjoy, but the weather had a lot to do with that problem. The days were extremely hot, with temperatures reaching in the 100's. We went to Folly beach instead, and even the ocean water temperature was about 86 degrees! I would stay at a Fairfield Inn again without hesitation. Check in and Check out was quick and easy. The rate we paid was GREAT!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are probably quieter since they are in the back.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bengleb

Thank you so much for your kind words and for sharing your experience with other travelers! We hope to see you again on your next trip to Charleston!

Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

Clean updated rooms. Friendly staff. Great breakfast! Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: July 2012
Katie R, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/University Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Thank you very much for the great feedback. We truly hope to see you again soon!